UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walking Dead Minimates!

funkguerilla

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long does a licensed property have to sit dormant before DST picks it up?

There seems to be this anti-Goldilocks zone where a property is too recent but not old enough to consider. For example, they're done with Endgame and won't touch Into the Spider-verse or Far From Home. However, they'll expand Star Trek in 2017 to offer figures in 2019 from a movie released in 2013.

Just wondering if The Walking Dead still has any legs at all or if it's just rotting in the corner.

• 1 month later...
On 2/21/2020 at 9:13 AM, MisterPL said:

How long does a licensed property have to sit dormant before DST picks it up?

There seems to be this anti-Goldilocks zone where a property is too recent but not old enough to consider. For example, they're done with Endgame and won't touch Into the Spider-verse or Far From Home. However, they'll expand Star Trek in 2017 to offer figures in 2019 from a movie released in 2013.

Just wondering if The Walking Dead still has any legs at all or if it's just rotting in the corner.

Trek and Marvel movies are different beasts. Our next Trek ship is from TNG. And at one point they were planning a fourth Abramsverse Trek movie, hence figures making sense. So there are no real rules. 

Spidey movies, I'm not even sure how complicated that license is. We've done it before, but that doesn't mean it's easy. 

TWD show would have been nice, but I'm sure it was not possible/feasible when it was popular, and I have no idea what viewership is now. Comic was our way to do it at the time, but I was not privy to sales numbers.

I suppose if DST wanted to relaunch TWD they'd do it with the TV show(s).

In my professional experience, Spidey movie licensing is no more difficult than any other Marvel property, especially since Sony lost merchandising rights. 

Trek has a LONG history of terribly timed and poorly executed toy lines. It might actually be a curse.

The show seems to have had a bit of a resurgence this year, and despite most of the original cast having moved on it appears to still have viewership.  I would love to see the line return in some way.

The biggest problem with the comic line was poor line planning, and including duplicates of very specific zombies without alternate looks.  Why did Battle Damaged Tyreese come with a farmer zombie???  Why did we get Battle Damaged Tyreese before a standard Tyreese??? In hindsight, DST should have provided multiple heads for the prisoner and riot gear figures instead of taking up multiple slots with these figures.  Walking Dead very well may have benefitted from only 3 packs per wave instead of 4.

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

In my professional experience, Spidey movie licensing is no more difficult than any other Marvel property, especially since Sony lost merchandising rights. 

Not sure you have the same approvals issues, which is more what I was thinking. Likeness, etc. Collector product is held to a higher standard (by Marvel) than mass. 

4 hours ago, MisterPL said:

Trek has a LONG history of terribly timed and poorly executed toy lines. It might actually be a curse.

Luckily we don't have to deal with either of those issues!

10 hours ago, DSTZach said:

Not sure you have the same approvals issues, which is more what I was thinking. Likeness, etc. Collector product is held to a higher standard (by Marvel) than mass.

Back when Sony briefly handled licensing, Marvel still had to look at it. There were more eyes on it which made the process a bit longer.

I can see where someone like Jennifer Lawrence could cause a problem getting a Mystique figure approved but that certainly shouldn't be a problem for Into the Spider-Verse.

14 hours ago, youbastards said:

The show seems to have had a bit of a resurgence this year, and despite most of the original cast having moved on it appears to still have viewership.  I would love to see the line return in some way.

The biggest problem with the comic line was poor line planning, and including duplicates of very specific zombies without alternate looks.  Why did Battle Damaged Tyreese come with a farmer zombie???  Why did we get Battle Damaged Tyreese before a standard Tyreese??? In hindsight, DST should have provided multiple heads for the prisoner and riot gear figures instead of taking up multiple slots with these figures.  Walking Dead very well may have benefitted from only 3 packs per wave instead of 4.

I recently tried picking up where I left off on the show (the same point where I left the comic) and couldn't get through the entire episode. Everything about it reminded me of why I dropped it. And with the world it is right now, my idea of entertainment isn't to watch villains like Negan prove that people are worse than a virus. I get enough of that in real life.

But yes, many of DST's decisions are baffling. While it's easy to judge them in hindsight, I'd wager many of us would have fought for something else at the time.

• 1 month later...

I need some possible help again and since people were so kind in the Aliens thread, thought I might chime in here.

Anyone know if any other figures have Carl's hair from Wave 6 Carl? Carl who came with the Flaming zombie. The hair without the hat!