UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Walking Dead Minimates!

funkguerilla

There is almost no emphasis on the "walkers" in the books (or show). Maybe just a handful like the half-corpse Rick first encounters and puts away, but even that was forgettable. So, I just don't see where the zombies will play out in the minimates line. Michonne needs her two though!

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think the tv show is the best zombie show on the air and the comic is one of the best zombie books out right now (is that generic enough?)

I do think regardless of what you think about either of them, the Minimate line has potential to be one of the best lines made. Having said that, I still wish it could have the quirkiness of the MZ line.

I love these zombies.

And I'm with Two-Face up there. I want "normal" zombies.

If an outbreak happened [and I survived uninfected to see it], I guarantee I'd see more plain clothes zombies walking around than clowns, bikers or surgeons.

Heck, I'd even be willing to bet I'd see more plain clothes ones than postal workers or police.

Plus, I don't like "smart" zombies. They're walking corpses to me. It's hard enough for me to justify how decaying teeth and nails could tear through a healthy, live human being; I don't want them talking, driving cars or wielding chainsaws.

I bought two of NYCC sets, I was looking forward to more variety, and I would never want to prevent anyone from getting what they prefer, but I also don't want to lose what I prefer. MAX Zombies would compliment this line and the Resident Evil figures from MvC3 (I've got my MAX guys chasing Chris & Jill as we speak - one's even wielding the chainsaw). But I don't want "gimmicky" zombies in what's supposed a reality-based series.

If an outbreak happened [and I survived uninfected to see it], I guarantee I'd see more plain clothes zombies walking around than clowns, bikers or surgeons.

It made me think of minimates when they prominently showed a zombie doctor in scrubs in the last episode... I prefer vanilla zombies too, but I mostly want the humans. If the comic is all about the survivors, like the show, I'm a bit surprised how DST structured the first wave, going with a zombie 2-pack and a variant set rather than two more characters.

If the comic is all about the survivors, like the show, I'm a bit surprised how DST structured the first wave, going with a zombie 2-pack and a variant set rather than two more characters.

The comic may be about the survivors, but I think casual buyers will probably be in it to army build zombies. Plus, combined with the TRU wave, we're most likely getting plenty of the key characters in the first go-around (Rick, Dale, Andrea*, and Tyrese*). I think this structuring reduces the chance of people complaining of "civvie fatigue" if they did waves of all characters, and stretches things out so we can avoid too many battle damaged versions of characters we already have down the road.

But let's face it, we're going to complain no matter what they do... <_<

* assuming the specialty solicitation was actually talking about the TRU wave, maybe.

But let's face it, we're going to complain no matter what they do... <_<

Not sure if you mean me, but I wasn't complaining, just surprised. :unsure:

Yeah, I guess the zombie 2-pack is perfect for army-building, but it still seems odd to me to go with a variant instead of 4 unique sets. Two Dales seems like a lot, but that's just me.

I'm inclined to agree on the whole Double Dale situation. I mean, why? You could have gotten Glenn in there instead or something. Or hell a second double zombie pack with different parts, for super undead army building. I guess I just do not see the point of a second Dale. Shane zombie. Something. That said I am actually looking forward to these more.

Zach, any idea when perhaps we'll be seeing some pictures of Andrea and Tyreese?

I reckon this line has the potential to be a winner but ...with no pun intended....I don't see it having long legs.

I agree unless DST decides to do a thousand variants. Rick in Uniform, Rick in Prison Jumper, Rick missing hand, Rick in Riot Gear, etc, etc...

I imagine it running roughly like Ghostbusters did: three solid waves, maybe a box set or two, and wrapping up right as they crest the "one too many versions of a main character" mark. I think the ability to throw lots of zombies in the mix will help alleviate the need for a sales-driver Rick variant in every single wave (like Venkman with GB).

That they made Dale the character with a variant in wave 1 instead of Rick tells me we're sure to see at least one more version of Mr. Grimes down the road.

Edited by Lobsterman

I reckon this line has the potential to be a winner but ...with no pun intended....I don't see it having long legs.

I agree unless DST decides to do a thousand variants. Rick in Uniform, Rick in Prison Jumper, Rick missing hand, Rick in Riot Gear, etc, etc...

You've just named all the Ricks that i'm looking forward to!

I need help

Are you guys saying you would rather have a new, unique character be the short-packed, one-per case figure? I don't think anyone would want to have to hunt down Glen, especially if he's your favorite character. With the variant system in place at specialty, we didn't want to waste ANY character by making him an ultrarare. So we made a Dale variant.

And I think the fact that we can name so many distinctive looks for Rick, with him being the main character, there will be a demand for multiple Ricks.

Are you guys saying you would rather have a new, unique character be the short-packed, one-per case figure? I don't think anyone would want to have to hunt down Glen, especially if he's your favorite character. With the variant system in place at specialty, we didn't want to waste ANY character by making him an ultrarare. So we made a Dale variant.

No, I was saying I figured you guys would go with the four sets per wave model. We did just get MvC3 in that model at specialty so I didn't think the variant system was set in stone across all lines, and it didn't seem to me like Walking Dead was an ideal property for exciting variants. But like I said, I'm not upset about it or anything, just surprised.

Can't agree with that; I think this line is going to be HUGE with the specialty (comic book store) market. I think this license alone could revitalize Minimates in comic book shops.

I'm pretty psyched about having a chance to add Michonne and the Govenor to my collection, and I can't argue with owning a herd of zombies.

My only complaint is I'm not a fan of the colors used on the zombies, it puts me off a bit. I was a huge fan of the skin tones used for Maximum Zombies, they looked a lot more grounded despite the crazy accessories(which were awesome). But the pastel blue/purple color on these guys reminds me much more of Tom Savini's zombies in Day of the Dead.

Not a deal breaker, just a minor gripe.