UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Artmates Series 2

Artmates Series 2 are now in production! Let's kick things off with some photos:

The Mona Lisa by Leonardo da Vinci

monalisa1.jpg

monalisa2.jpg

Link to original artwork

Although you might not be able to tell this from looking at her, this is one of the hardest face decals I have ever made. I kept tweaking it and testing it out on minimate heads. I would change the colors, the proportions, and even played with adding a cracked paint texture. After finding the right hair I had to change it again. In total, I printed this decal at least a dozen times. She has one of the most famous faces in history, and recreating it was much more challenging than I expected. Also she has a long face and a high forehead, which is always harder to put into the short area of a minimate head.

In the painting she is wearing a transparent veil on top of her head, and has rolled cloth draped over her shoulders. I decided to use real cloth for these two items. Her hair is longer in the back, but I wanted to make sure it didn't restrict her head movement too much. Her clothes are mostly cloaked in shadow in the painting, but I believe she is wearing a green dress with brown sleeves. I tried to make it look like the simpler dresses of this time period.

Removing her from the painting was also a challenge. There are mountains and water in the background, and da Vinci has an orange road on both sides of her. I decided to put another mountain behind her, and connect the two points of the road. I can post a larger version of this if anyone is interested. :)

David by Michelangelo

david1.jpg

david2.jpg

Link to original artwork

David's face was also a challenge. It was only when I started looking at close-ups of this statue online that I realized how intense his face is (while I have seen the Mona Lisa in person, I have not had the opportunity to see David in person). From far away he looks contemplative, but up close his brow is furrowed and his eyes are piercing. Also the hair piece that best matched his curly hair has a lot of volume, so I had to increase the size of his facial features to compensate. So this face also went through several variations.

His sling is sculpted with Apoxie Sculpt. It is attached to his hand. He will also come with an extra hand with no sling. His empty pedestal is visible in the background.

Woman with a Head of Roses by Salvador Dali

woman1.jpg

woman2.jpg

Link to original artwork

I decided that each series of Artmates will have one lesser known work by a famous artist. In the first series it was the Portrait of Kahnweiler by Picasso. I had a lot of requests to do something by Dali, and I found this amazing piece that I had not seen before.

At first, I made a face and top of head decal for her roses. But it didn't have the effect I was looking for. I wanted it to be the most prominent part of the figure. So I scoured my local craft stores until I found several assortments of beads and pins that I could use to reconstruct her head. I think this gives the figure a more unique look, and is closer to the original painting.

I also decided to use real cloth for the draping on her leg. This draping is wired on both sides, so it is easy to reposition as needed.

Removing her from the painting was challenging in a different way from the Mona Lisa. With that one, I had no idea what was behind her. In this painting, I knew exactly what was behind the subject, but it was very time consuming to recreate the perspective lines and shadows. Once again, I can post a larger version if anyone is interested.

With the first series of Artmates, they were a signed and numbered limited edition of 10, and I did a second printing of The Scream. This time around it will also be limited to 10, but there will be no second printings. This series is much more time consuming to create, so the price will be increased to $21.99 each. First dibs will be given to people who purchased the first series, and those people can reserve the same edition number. I will be contacting people who purchased these through the toy store. If you purchased them via PM, please contact me if you are interested in these. I will be finishing production next weekend, and they should be ready to ship in 10 days. If any remain after the original buyers have been contacted, I will list any extras in the toy store.

Packaged pics coming soon! :)

*applause*

Very nicely done mate, :biggrin: I didn't see Artmates Series 1 but if these are anything to go by i'm sure they were awesome.