UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Question about Darktide Magneto & Cyclops

Urban Saboteur

Hi,

Being that my knowledge of certain characters history and the Marvel Universe is pretty sparse I was looking through my Minimates this morning, I was going through them when I came across my Magneto & Cyclops Minimates.

I only have 1 version of Magneto, and because there had been so many released I didn't really pay attention to which version it was until this morning.

The two versions i have of Cyclops are the Ultimate Version and the Darktide version, i've noticed that the Darktide Cyclops uniform is black with Yellow x's on,

6582237485_55a09752a2_m.jpg

which is similar in style and design to the Phoenix & New Wolverine 2pack.

So my questions are, Is Darktide a storyline that ran in the Marvel Universe and designed certain characters to be really angry?

I ask because alot of them have teeth showing on the minimates, I thought I might have Darktide Wolverine but he's just got a regular grin, so he's the two pack New Wolverine that came with Phoenix.

Secondly, if Phoenix came with Wolverine as 'New' Wolverine, why isn't Phoenix referred to as 'New Phoenix'? :unsure:

Is there a Magneto that is considered 'Classic'? I have this Darktide version

6582232651_1e780ab3ff_m.jpg

which was won off ebay, I do like him, but if I remove his helmet i think it was stuck down with something, it's left red marks on his face where his helmet used to be, whilst it's not noticeable at all with his helmet on, I know it's there.

As always I'm hoping someone can shed some light, maybe offer up a small summary of what Darktide Is/Was, and why I should have these characters.

I really only want the characters in classic uniforms, at least thats how this all started, I mean i currently have 2 Cyclops Minimates and neither of them look like the Cyclops I remember as a kid :lol: I do like the Classic Wolverine I have, although I suspect when I get Wolverine from Wave 28 he'll become my default.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Rich

The Wolverine, Cyclops, and Phoenix versions you're talking about are from Grant Morrison's New X-Men run in the comics. It was memorable with some stand-out stories. Darktide was an animated minimate X-Men movie. You can check out the database for more on Cyclops. I think of this one as pretty perfect, but I know plenty of folks see 90s Cyc as classic.

As for Magneto, I prefer the MvC3 version.

As always I'm hoping someone can shed some light, maybe offer up a small summary of what Darktide Is/Was, and why I should have these characters.

X-Men: Darktide was a boxed set of four Minimates that came with a DVD of an animated short film, created by the DAVE School and using the Minimate characters. It was sold at retail, and the X-Men were generally pretty angry in it. The other two characters in the set were Wolverine and Juggernaut, but the movie also featured Beast and Archangel. You can also see the movie in the Theater at artasylum.com, along with the Batman short the DAVE School did and the two stop-motion shorts we've made so far.

I'm sure people are happy to answer your questions all day around here, but I highly recommend the Minimate Database as a tool. It's pretty amazingly inclusive, aside from minor production variations. (A search for "Darktide" brings up all the figures.)

As far as Phoenix/New Phoenix goes, I think that was just the first Phoenix we made, so she didn't need a prefix.

I would REALLY like to see Xorn made, but yeah, I don't think we'll be seeing more New X-Men any time soon. Until Joe Quesada decides to inexplicably cash in on revisit these stories.

DST has really upped their game on Magnetos since that one came out, but I agree with Turtle that the new one from the MvC3 line is as good as it gets. As for Cyclops, I personally don't think the best possible Cyclops has been made yet. Here's the Cyclops in my collection, a quick custom I threw together from various parts:

cyclops.JPG

A Cyclops I can live with. :biggrin:

Edited by hellpop

Think you might have to custom them up yourself, boyd :confused:

i don't think DST is gonna re-visit the morrison/darktide era any time soon.

(although - i confess to wanting them as well)

You guys should plead your case to Ask DST. If we can make '90s X-Force members, why not '00s X-Men?

You guys should plead your case to Ask DST. If we can make '90s X-Force members, why not '00s X-Men?

I hadn't thought about that. Let me put my petition for a "Beast Through the Ages" box set aside and go to Ask DST.

Today I was inspired a little by the Darktide cartoon posted on metacafe that buttheadsmate posted up a link to,

So I decided to do, 3 one-shot photos of an X-Men scene, which i thought i'd share here.

6835996773_cab96bdb51.jpg

6835999223_41182b33bb.jpg

6836016593_fa8c6a1b80.jpg

I don't yet have Juggernaut from Series 5. So as a substitute I put Sabretooth there, seems to fit well with the scene I was making.

Rich

Nice, I was checking out some of your links yesterday, and you have quite the eye for photography! :thumbsup:

oh thanks! :biggrin: I'm self taught and alot of the stuff i think of or have done in the past i've picked up from Flickr and friends. I'm still learning though :)

Rich

Zach, how much imput does Marvel give you guys? I've always been of the assumption that Quesada and company want to distance themselves from Morrison's X-Men, and so they'd be unlikely to approve new products based on those comics.

Nice pics! But if you need a Juggernaut, you should go with the Excalibur version. I'm not a huge fan of all of the slip over parts, but it looks better than the puny Wave 5/Darktide versions.

Wow!!

That is waaay better, much thanks for that link!

*runs off to amend Wants list* :biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Zach, how much imput does Marvel give you guys? I've always been of the assumption that Quesada and company want to distance themselves from Morrison's X-Men, and so they'd be unlikely to approve new products based on those comics.

I was browsing the trades and graphic novels of my local comic book shop the other day and noticed that the new X-Men run had been reissued in the smaller (marvel noir-size) digests, so I don't think Marvel want to completely distance themselves from Morrison's run.

They approve all of our line plans, but as far as I know, there is only one are of Marveldom they are no longer interested in making merchandise for, and that's zombies. Beyond that, I have heard no restrictions. So Ask DST to complete your Morrison team, and see what Chuck says!

They approve all of our line plans, but as far as I know, there is only one are of Marveldom they are no longer interested in making merchandise for, and that's zombies. Beyond that, I have heard no restrictions. So Ask DST to complete your Morrison team, and see what Chuck says!

There are soooooooo many things.....good things.....about Marvel zombies that I'd love to talk about .....am I allowed an anal annual necro ?

Going to anyway :biggrin:

They also released them as Ultimate and Absolute collections, respectively. However, just because they're trying to make money still of the books, doesn't mean they've embraced them.

I don't know, Fantomex, Ultimaton and the World have all played a large part of Uncanny X-Force, and a lot of the more interesting aspects of his run have stuck, I suppose its one of those things that divided fans too much, personally I loved it, but I can see why traditionalists wouldn't.

Did Headpool not count as a zombie? I suppose he has sort of transcended the hunger. Shame I'd love me some more undead heroes. On a side note is there a chance there would be any more Age of Apocalypse minimates? that is my favorite sub-line ever.

On a side note is there a chance there would be any more Age of Apocalypse minimates? that is my favorite sub-line ever.

Chuck always says "never say never." There are still some cool guys to do.

Well that's made my day (well technically night, 3.11 in the morning! god-damned insomnia.

Thanks for the reply Zach.