UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Playmates TMNT Classics

Punisher

minivenom

LOVE those gritty turtles you painted. How exactly did you paint them- diluted black paint with water? I'd love to try it on my figures. Makes them more real and less like Happy Meal toys- especillly Mikey.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Yes, those are the Nick Turtles, treated with a diluted black paint. I'd never attempted anything like this before and I am completely thrilled with the result.

The classics (which I finally located at Kenwood's TRU) are awesome but the Nick Turtles were blessed with amazing, textured sculpts and the black wash really takes the sculpts to the next level. Funny thing is I was only going to get the classics but now the basic line has become my favorite. :)

anyone see plasticplayhouse's customs over on LRG's forums?

http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35443&view=findpost&p=442102

Just looked. WOW. Great job on the pupils, eye :rolleyes: prefer mine without, but awesome work.

Minivenom, did you do the weapons as well? Are you just doing the turtles? I've been looking at Splinter- thinking he needs a much needed paint job as he looks more like a cow than a rat. Wondering if the black wash would look good on him as well.....has anyone seen an all brown Splinter custom?

Edited by Jeff

Started on the weapons. So far, I've painted Donnie's bo wrap white and Leo's swords, Raph's sai, and Mikey's nunchuck chains silver. Waiting for all that to dry, then will paint the handles.

Haven't attempted anything with Splinter yet, but I've been eyeballing him as he sits obliviously on my shelf....

A buddy of mine is replacing mikey's plastic chuck chains with real chains. He's painted the handles too. I'm having him do mine this weekend.

I'm guessing for Splinter that you would just need to do his body and not his robe. But it might look good with the entire figure washed too. I don't know until I try it.

Opened up my Classic Donatello this morning.

HOLY COW, these are great figures. My only gripe is the articulated fingers. It isn't necessary and actually makes holding the weappons a bit difficult- a bit too loose for my taste. Oh well, they are going right inside my display case so I won't be posing them............too much. :biggrin:

I think these are the largest action figures I own. LOVE these. Thanks for making my childhood dreams come true--even it if is 23 years later. :happy:

I agree, Jeff. The articulated fingers could have been left out. They don't look so great, and they don't work well for holding the weapons. They are incredibly fun to pose, though.

Samwise, nice display case. I particularly like Donatello's pose. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Thanks guys. Yes, those are the Nick Turtles, treated with a diluted black paint. I'd never attempted anything like this before and I am completely thrilled with the result.

If I may ask, what type of paint were you using, and did you just brush it on? Did you use a varnish afterwards? Those look superb, and I'd like to try something similar.

Thanks. I did spray a matte clear coat onto them when I finished, but I did a other set and actually liked it better without. Even though the clear is matte, it still created a gloss that I really didn't want.

I've also completed a third set using dark greens to highlight the skin, and dark brown to highlight the shells. Gives them a much less "dirty" look.

Oh, and yes, the paint used is standard acrylic paint you can find at Michaels, Walmart, or other locations. Just wash the figures first, then brush then wipe. Easy peasy, Japanese-ie, as Brooks would say.

I think the Nick Turtles are the hot toy for holidays 2012. They've been cleaned out for weeks across stores here. I did manage to score all four turtles, shredder, and foot fodder for my eight year old. He is a TMNT fanatic and loves these figures.

He pointed out to me that the turtles are different heights. Really cool.

I've been noticing that as well. Over the course of Black Friday, various store shelves of tmnt merch was empty. Visited a tru today and saw the new tmnt Lego sets. Very cool.

Edited by Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...