UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Playmates TMNT Classics

Punisher

I hit up Walmart, TRU, and Target and came away with nothing. :verymad:

I spotted on a site called ninja pizza that a guy had luck at a Target using the DCPI number to check the availability if it was in back. I used the same number and they didn't have any in....yet. I'm just really antsy because I'm a big turtle fan and today's my birthday. :biggrin:

I have a TRU coupon that expires soon and I'd really like to put it towards the figures- both classic and nick versions. I'm in the process of completing an awesome display mural- three total:

- NECA's TMNT figs based on the original mirage comics using a blown up panel from the first issue of the city scape and old white logo

- Playmates Classics figs using the opening load screen from the arcade game (the purple city)

- Playmates/Nickelodeon figs using screenshots from their website (the graphfitti cel-shaded look)

Two of the turtles in each display will be attached to metal bendable poles glued into sewer ccovers (wooden discs) to make them appear leaping jumping while the other two will stand below. Between them I'll have the logo for each incarnation.

Pics and template to come for anyone interested. It's a great way to display the figures without them getting dusty. Here's the first two...

arcade.jpg

neca.jpg

Edited by Jeff

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad paint, you say? I've got a case at BBTS, but may cancel it from my Loot. Too many unknowns.

My store had three turtles left -- one had badly cross-eyed pupils, one had pupils that had been painted over with another layer of white for some reason but still kinda showed through (beneath the final pupils which were printed higher on the eye), and one had perfect eyes but a small gouge in his thigh. I probably would've bought the gouged one, it wasn't super noticeable, but I want all four or none.

Hit up my TRU Wednesday (after an employee told me it was going to be 'truck day') and came up with nothing. Called today at random and BOOM! they had them all. I reserved the four turtles and drove to the store, minutes from my work luckily (at right at lunch time). What a glorious site, seeing the TMNT back on store shelves and now as an adult, being able to buy them without restraint. :lol:

For the brief 3 days they had been put out, they had been picked over- There was only one Splinter, 1 other set of Turtles, and no April. There were 6 pegs, 3 of which were empty. Whoa, that's a lot of Turtle fans.

I picked up the four turtles, Shredder, 1 foot soldier (there was only 1 left), and 1 utrom (only 2 left). I had been cautiously sitting on a $10 off coupon I had gotten back in late June and expiring in early August (trying my hardest to not spend it on other thinks like minimates) and a $20 I had found in my jeans. Plus, I had a % off coupon from Facebook on my phone---the timing was perfect. So I ended up only spending $26 out of pocket what would have normally cost me (roughly) $75. I'm so glad the figures weren't priced higher. I stopped to think about--- that's the price of ONE Marvel Legends/DCU Classic figure. One figure vs. EIGHT. :thumbsup:

Can't wait to get the next display started and looking to the new release of figures with Metal Head, Baxter Stockman, and Leatherhead.

Happy Hunting!

Picked up the Classics today, managed to find all of them without the crazy eyes except Donatello, I don't know if literally every one of him out there is cross-eyed, but the nice LCS guy even looked through a second case in the back for me and they were all way off. Looks like I'll also be grabbing some paint when I go buy that clear coat stuff for Lion-O's belt :down:

Other than that, these are pretty awesome figures! I'm never too concerned about articulation, but the amount on these guys is kind of nuts -- you can actually bend each toe and finger individually. Really, really hoping we get a second wave with Shredder, April, Splinter... if they NECA this up, it will be the opposite of tubular.

Edited by battlecat

Had a buddy of mine hit up the toysrus near his end of town yesterday and the entire Nick TMNT display was BARE. That's saying a lot for Turtle fans. Hopefully the Target here will have their store reset soon (as I read on another forum, that's when they'd put out the toys) so that I can get one more foot solider and april for my new display I'm working on.

Pre-ordered the classics from BBTS and now they are completely sold out. I have a really good feeling we'll be seeing more Classic figures coming soon. My wish list figures below:

-Shredder

-Splinter

-April

-Bebop

-Rocksteady

-Krang

-Foot Soldier

-Ace Duck

-Rat King

-Baxter Stockman as the fly

-Mousers

-Zak and the neutrinos

-General Traag

-Mondo Gecko

-Ray Fillet

-The other mutanimals: Dreadmon, Leatherhead, Wingnut & Screwlooose, etc.

-Wrestling TMNT (especially Raph in his all black outfit- funny how this was the original idea for the turtles costumes before switching to just the masks)

Wasn't planning on getting the Nick turtles, but they look too cool to pass on.

As for classics, don't know if I'll hold out for the best pupils possible or just paint the eyes solid white. Kind of prefer all white but don't know if my OCD will allow me to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

So, this happened to me today.

tmntclassicsgroup.jpg

I have to say, I really like these guys. A lot. Not to say I don't have issues with them. It would be great if they were all looking straight ahead, but they're workable for the most part, except for Mike. He is looking up and there's almost nothing I can do about it. I would also have liked to see him with a smile on his face, rather than the serious face, but otherwise, phenomenal figures. 34 points of articulation, including a swiveling thumb on each hand, and a swivel ball joint at each ankle. Leo's swords are too small for my liking, but that's about it.

Now more pictures.

tmntclassicsleo.jpgtmntclassicsdon.jpgtmntclassicsraph.jpgtmntclassicsmike.jpg

Also, these guys are really well balanced. As proven here.

tmntclassicskick.jpgtmntclassicstiptoes.jpg

So there we go. That's what I have to say about these TMNT Classics. I love them, greatly.

Well, as far as I know, they retail for $20 a piece. At least that's what my friend said when he bought one at the Nickelodeon store at the Mall of America. But mine came through sellers on Amazon for $17 a piece, but that was when they were plentiful. It seems to be fluctuatiing anywhere between $17 to $22. I watched three seperate sellers run out of Raphael in one night. Don't look on ebay though. People want crazy money there. Including one guy who has all four listed in two turtle lots for $70 each. $140 for all four. That's just wrong. Now mine, mine cost me nothing, as they were a gift for helping my friend move two weeks ago.

Also, Donatello has a wonky face sculpt. He's got a lot of Two-Face going on in that one side is gritted teeth and the other is just a huge frown. Plus he has the lazy eye. Sadness. But overall, they're great figures and I'm glad to have them.

Edited by The Geohound

Are the manholes made of out soft(ish) plastic?

I'm thinking of drilling (GASP!!) a hole thru the center for a bar to support them in my display case.

Side note, I was able to pick up the entire first wave of the Nick TMNT figs---didn't realize April was a one per case. Luckily I called Target and they reserved one for me. I went on luch to pick her up and all that was left on the shelf was Shredder and the turtles (two cases set out, I assume). Pics of all three turtle displays coming soon...... :thumbsup:

Edited by Jeff

Heh, manholes. Anyways, no, they're made out of a pretty sturdy hard plastic. The turtles themselves have a much softer feel than the bases. I don't know how easy drilling them without cracking them would be. But they do have pegs for each foot, and they stand up pretty well. Mine haven't fallen over yet, and I've been doing some ridiculous amounts of posing and positioning them. Haven't had them spar yet, but it's on the list of things to do.

Still haven't found any of the Classics in Cincinnati. I've got the whole assortment of Nick Turtles, but I really want the classics. Man, those pictures look great!

Also hoping to find a set of Neca turtles at some point. I like the Playmates versions more, but the Necas look pretty cool as well.

• 2 weeks later...