UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

2011 Poppies are up

There are some really random nominees in those categories. And it kills me that, ten years on, Minimates are still just tossed in the "building figures" category like an afterthought. How did individual SHS and Action League figures make the cut in the Under 5" category while no Minimates did? I think if DCAL Kilowog deserved a spot in that category, Beta Ray Bill or Galactus most certainly did.

Edited by Lobsterman

There are some really random nominees in those categories. And it kills me that, ten years on, Minimates are still just tossed in the "building figures" category like an afterthought. How did individual SHS and Action League figures make the cut in the Under 5" category while no Minimates did? I think if DCAL Kilowog deserved a spot in that category, Beta Ray Bill or Galactus most certainly did.

Minimates are technically block figures, and block figures are with construction figures. I certainly hope we win this year, but I don't see how we can. It's an unfortunate categorization, and I'd love to remove the construction set component to level the playing field, but you can't compare a Minimate to a fully sculpted 3.75 inch figure, they're too different.

But thank you guys so much for your support.

Edited by Zach Oat

Every year in the comments I suggest that Michael add a Best Block Figure category for individual figures, similar to all of the other figure categories. I think it would give minimates more of a chance to shine if people were comparing some of the really stand out minimates from the year against other figures.

[you can't compare a Minimate to a fully sculpted 3.75 inch figure, they're too different.

I agree that a separate block figure category would be ideal, but if lines like Glyos and Super Hero Squad are in the running for Best Under 5", I see no reason why Minimates aren't. And I do think a lot of the Minimates you guys produced could stand toe to toe with a lot of the 3.75" stuff that was done this year. In my mind, it's not a judgement on best sculpt, it's a judgement on best toy in that size range.

Every year in the comments I suggest that Michael add a Best Block Figure category for individual figures, similar to all of the other figure categories. I think it would give minimates more of a chance to shine if people were comparing some of the really stand out minimates from the year against other figures.

I do this too. :biggrin:

I like Michael Crawford and his reviews, but minifigs clearly aren't his priority. He's a high end toy guy, and if he wants to spend all that money, more power to him. But it does bug me to see Superhero Squad listed as a choice in the "low end" category and Minimates not be there as well. Personally, I don't think there's any toy line that can compete with Minimates when it comes to quality vs. affordability. But that's preaching to the choir, I know....

I voted on the following categories.

Best Overall Company

Best Overall Line - High End & Low End.

Best Female Figure 5-11"

Best Vehcile or Playset

Best Block Figures/Building Set Figures

Hope DST does well! :)

It's an unfortunate categorization, and I'd love to remove the construction set component to level the playing field, but you can't compare a Minimate to a fully sculpted 3.75 inch figure, they're too different.

But thank you guys so much for your support.

I definately think the categories should be more suited to scale. I could understand comparing figures in the 3.75 inch range, with other figures of that size but really think it sucks that Minimates are lumped in with them. It would be similar to me comparing a built to rule gijoe figure with a street fighter from sota. two different scales.

Ah well, I voted, lets hope they'll change it at some point in the future to better reflect the scale. :)

Personally, I don't think there's any toy line that can compete with Minimates when it comes to quality vs. affordability.

I think that is spot on myself. :)

Edited by Urban Saboteur

• 1 month later...

Well, the results are in:

http://www.mwctoys.com/peoplepicks_11.htm

The good news is that Minimates, with 22% of the vote, took 2nd place in the block figure category. The bad news is that Lego took first with 50% of the vote. :confused: But, hey, when you consider the relative profile of Lego and Minimates, I'd say this is a really good showing. DST did very well overall, finishing 2nd in the best company category and placing figures in other lines. I think our "get out the vote" movement here was probably a big success. :highfive2: