UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

My Next Lego Project

Urban Saboteur

My Next Lego Project  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which Building Should I make my next Project?

• Baxter Building
    • Stark Enterprises
    • X-Men Mansion

Hi Guys,

So I'm at the stage now where I can start to map out my second build, but i'm more than a little torn over which building/scene to make?

My heart says I should do Iron Man and Stark Enterprises, I mean it will have alot of cool features and look very high tech, plus out of the Marvel characters IM is probably my favourite (I used him alot on MUA) :biggrin: However recently, and probably during the Batcave build i've wanted to lean more towards the X-Men Mansion, the thought of building that architecture and design to the front, then having the Danger Room and main lobby to make would be a challenge.

Then we come to the Baxter Building, Home of the Fantastic 4. I've been working my way to assembling the Fantastic 4 in my Minimates Collection, and i'd recently rewatched the Movie.

So I decided at this early stage to Poll it and see what you guys think, obviously the final decision still rests with me, but i'd like you guys to put forward your thoughts on this, which do you think is more deserving or interesting? or do you have another Marvel/DC build you think i should concentrate my time on?

Don't worry, I haven't abandoned the Batcave, it's just that as i am now at the modification and final stages i'm left twiddling my thumbs both with lego and the LDD app, so its best i have a secondary pre-project to work on.

Thoughts, Ideas & Opinions are welcome. I'd also appreciate any helpful links or pictures to these places so I could use them as inspiration and my go to pictures when designing.

In friendship

Rich

Edited by Urban Saboteur

Stark Enterprises/ Tonys Lab has been done to death and the X-Mansion would just be a mansion. Baxter Building has an iconic look, you can do the Fantasticar, The Pogo Plane, Ben's flying bike thingie, Negetive Zone Portal... Baxter Building. No contest. Though Castle Greyskull and The Boars Nest would rock.

Totally not related to this topic at all, but is that Judge Dredd Minimate you have in your avatar?? :)

Is it a custom, as i wasn't aware they'd released one officially?

Rich

Well the kicker with that the X-Mansion, and the Avenger's Mansion, is not the above ground building, but their sublevels. So the question would become, how much of the above ground do you include, along with the underground stuff you really have to have?

But I think the Baxter Building would be just as great a challenge. Instead of down, you would have to go up.

Well it seems that the Fantastic 4 Baxter Building will be my next project, it's a great challenge, i will probably leave the poll open or so at least until the end of January before making a decision, it seems with 13 or so votes it will be the clear winner.

Anyone else have any thoughts, ideas and suggestions around this project? :biggrin:

Rich

There are several old comics where they had diagrams of the Baxter Building, including the old original Official Hanbook of the Marvel Universe. I'm not suggesting you follow those exactly unless your pockets are deeper than we imagine (and if so, can I hit you up for cash?) but they could provide you with some ideas of rooms you could make. And of course there's the obligatory labratory with all the crazy Kirby tech in it, that's a must. Oh, and something Kirby-esque in the lab that looks heavy and is designed for Thing to hold, so he can complain about how long he's been "holdin' this blasted dookhicky still already".

There are several old comics where they had diagrams of the Baxter Building, including the old original Official Hanbook of the Marvel Universe. I'm not suggesting you follow those exactly unless your pockets are deeper than we imagine (and if so, can I hit you up for cash?) but they could provide you with some ideas of rooms you could make. And of course there's the obligatory labratory with all the crazy Kirby tech in it, that's a must. Oh, and something Kirby-esque in the lab that looks heavy and is designed for Thing to hold, so he can complain about how long he's been "holdin' this blasted dookhicky still already".

I'm assuming you mean the Jpg of 'Inside the Baxter Building' today I downloaded a large copy of it so I could see for myself the challenges I face. (copy attached)

I wouldn't like to build all 35 floors.. :unsure::lol: I mean I could plough plenty of cash into making it but have nowhere to store a 35 floor building. Idk, I guess the trick is that I want to concentrate on 3 or 4 or even 5 floors of the living quarters that the fantastic 4 actually use?

I guess this is part of the challenge really, seeing as though i'm building this primarily for my fantastic 4 team / minimates the idea is that anything below would be totally aesthetic and be purely for looks. The batcave is 3 floors and its already pretty huge as it is, i'm thinking if i'm building the Baxter Building it would be 3 floors minimum, then maybe the extra 2 to push it to 5 floors max.

If i was to build the rest of the floors even just a couple they would probably just be windowed out un-used floors, (hope that makes sense) to similate height, then any additional shots would be taken with the camera suspended to give the impression of height.

The only possible solution around this would be to build reception on the baseboard, then 4 floors first, with the first 4 being hollowed out looks only floors, then have the 5 living quarters of the fantastic 4 in full detail. I guess the solution to storage would be to have the first 5 on the baseboard, then have the top of floor five tiled off so i can just place the second set of 5 ontop when i want to take pictures. This is used in most common storage solutions for Lego builds of this size, but even at 5 floors, i'd still have nowhere in my room to store a 5 floor building.

The batcave is 3 floors and doesn't even fit under my bed. Maybe i could find room in the wardrobe for it lol. :lol:

Yeah, I'd go Baxter Building too. Of the three, it's the most iconic. And, if you need a better reason why, it's also the first chronologically.

Your Batcave's very impressive, by the way. :thumbsup:

Hey, thank you so much, yeah i think alot of people seem to like it, i'd happily help anyone create their own and encourage people to give lego a chance with their minimates, it merges well and fits with the theme of them brilliantly, Lego is also very versatile and offers you the chance to create scenes for the minimates, its a great combination.

As i've said to everyone, i've borrowed some ideas i've found off flickr and some i've done myself, and i'll happily share how i've done mine at the end of the build if anyone wants help making their own. It's all part of the fun!

:)

Rich

• 2 weeks later...

I thought i'd bump this back up, just incase anyone missed it first time round, theres still about 24 hours or so until i close the poll, maybe some Iron Man fans or X-Men fans haven't voted? :lol:

I've left it 10 or so days since the last post, it seems very likely now that the Baxter building will be the next build for me, i have to say i'll be excited to actually start a physical model, in the last week or so I have 3 project folders open in LDD (Lego Digital Designer) the idea was that if the voting was close i'd be able to work on some preliminary ideas while waiting for the voting to end.

When I close the Poll after the 31st i'll share with you some screenprints i've taken, of any preliminary designs of the winning model, i've made a start on somethings with the Baxter Building, and if you're a contact of mine on facebook theres no doubt you've already seen a couple :biggrin:

Because my knowledge of Marvel isn't the best, i'm still learning, so i may have some questions for you guys in the know, especially when it comes to later stages of floor development where the Fantastic Four operate.

I'd like to finish by personally thanking everyone so far for their direct involvement in this project by way of voting and showing enthusiasm for seeing something as awesome as this built.

Rich

On the bright side, if they do, he'll only have to a course, maybe a course and a half, to all their wall hieghts and he'll be mostly there.:thumbsup:

(Always look on the bright side of life. dee-dum. de-dum-de-dum-de-dum)

haha, i wouldnt buy a lego set like that to scale up, it's just not how I do things, when Lego release a set it has to be marketable and cost effective to kids or parents buying them, the dummy floors alone i've made for 2,3 & 4 each cost something between £20-£25 in pieces alone. By the time you've factored in the baseplate and ground floor you'll easily be at 100.00 then you have the more detailed floors that the Fantastic 4 occupy.

This will be an expensive but worthwhile build. :)

Rich

A little, although looking at that image and scale it is built to scale for Lego figures? From the buildings i've made you have to count an extra 1.5 bricks height, especially for the windows. I did build a minimate medical centre out of Lego once and even though the size/scale between Lego & Minimates is only 1.5 bricks, when you times that by a few hundred or thousand you can definately add a few 00s to the cost :biggrin:

Voting is now closed, or at least any additional votes after my post made will not count. :tongue:

Thanks to everyone for their input and interest, the final votes show the following:

Baxter Building: 16 Votes

Stark Enterprises: 3 Votes

X-Men Mansion: 6 Votes

I am in the process of designing some of the other features of the Batxer Building and will soon have an update showing the Preliminary plans, most of these will be screen prints from LDD but i'm hoping to show plenty of details too.

In friendship

Rich