UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Military Minimates

tones

I was intrigued by a couple of posts in the Marvel Army Builder topic that got my brain going. Since I didn't want to derail that topic I brought it here.

The original posts:

I'm just staggered that no-one is suggesting WW2 Wehrmacht ....recent Captain America comics (spin-offs mainly)have been bloody awash with them . Funny how you rarely see him fighting the Japanese .....odd that?

I'd love generic WWII soldiers, whatever flavour.would Cap have had a chance to fight the Japs back then? I suppose he doesn't have the existing 'conflicts' he has with Hitler's boys.

I really like the idea of generic military Minimates. They would fit nicely into the MAX line, a good in-house property for them. And they could do vehicles, fighter jets, biplanes, helicopters, tanks, jeeps, a motorcycle w/ a sidecar would be AWESOME! Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard of different eras and countries would be very cool.

By the same token, I think Astronauts and Aliens, Cowboys and Indians, Knights and Wizards and the like would be great additions as well. I could see the MAX line becoming something like the "Playmobile" line for us, IE a vast array of different venues. How about Roman and Greek gods. Revolutionary and Civil war soldiers, You could recreate Custer's Last Stand, the Battle of Bunker (Breeds ;)) Hill, The Alamo, the moon landing...could you imagine a Minimate lunar lander? :biggrin: Maybe these could even be expanded into sets instead of just 2 packs.

So, what do you all think? Have I gone way out there or would anyone be interested in this sort of thing? Please add your suggestions, and I'd love to hear Zachs thoughts

I would love just about all of those lines, especially the Roman and Greek gods, and Astronauts and Aliens (providing you mean classic sci-fi inspired like Flash Gordan). Being a former US Marine, I would love to have an official Dress Blues Marine to display on my desk!:thumbsup:

I'd love for them to get into more fantasy stuff like vikings, barbarians, elves, goblins, knights,etc...

Like this perhaps?

120118_sharkJet6.thumb.jpg

Yes please. :)

Ivan, that. is . AWESOME! yes, that's exactly the kind of thing i'm talking about. :biggrin:

Nervous, great suggestions on the fantasy side. while I meant actual NASA Astronauts & Soviet Cosmonauts, Flash Gordon is a wonderful idea. Makes me want Buck Rogers mates too :)

Please add your suggestions, and I'd love to hear Zachs thoughts

There were soldiers in the first Wave of MAX, and we're hoping to bring them back -- in a cool new deco -- in Series 3. You may have seen our Black Ops and Arctic Mission designs for that series, and those are currently on deck as well.

The APC is going to be a nice piece of military equipment -- our first two colors are police blue and arctic white, but an olive drab or camo repaint in the future is possible. We showed a MAX helicopter a while back, and as far as I know that is still in the works. And I've been pushing for some realistic-colors MAX jets (grey, maybe a camo) and will continue to do so, but we may be shelving that vehicle for a while after four paint schemes. So bust out your grey spray-paint, cuz the black ones are on sale.

By the way, you can tell DSTChuck (the Director of DST) what you want in Ask DST: http://www.artasylum.com/question

I'm sure he'd be thrilled to get a bunch of MAX or Pirate Raiders questions -- specific requests like military paint, and not just a wish list of wizards, knights and what have you. It will take us years to become Playmobil. :thumbsup:

There were soldiers in the first Wave of MAX, and we're hoping to bring them back -- in a cool new deco -- in Series 3. You may have seen our Black Ops and Arctic Mission designs for that series, and those are currently on deck as well.

The APC is going to be a nice piece of military equipment -- our first two colors are police blue and arctic white, but an olive drab or camo repaint in the future is possible. We showed a MAX helicopter a while back, and as far as I know that is still in the works. And I've been pushing for some realistic-colors MAX jets (grey, maybe a camo) and will continue to do so, but we may be shelving that vehicle for a while after four paint schemes. So bust out your grey spray-paint, cuz the black ones are on sale.

By the way, you can tell DSTChuck (the Director of DST) what you want in Ask DST: http://www.artasylum.com/question

I'm sure he'd be thrilled to get a bunch of MAX or Pirate Raiders questions -- specific requests like military paint, and not just a wish list of wizards, knights and what have you. It will take us years to become Playmobil. :thumbsup:

Good stuff to hear Zach... I would absolutely love some camo MAX stuff. I had actually planned on giving the APC a new paintjob to resemble the old GI Joe APC, one of my favorite joe vehicles as a youngster, along with the R.A.M. ... speaking of, have motorcycles ever come into discussion?

Thanks for responding Zach. I did buy multiples of all the MAX offerings, including the soldiers and am anxiously awaiting wave 3! The APC will be a multiple purchase as well, including an extra white one to stand in as a Land Ram for my Classic Battlestar Galactica mates :biggrin: I don't think I ever saw the helicopter, but that would be great. And, after seeing Ivans pic I'll definitely be grabbing a couple more jets (gotta find a red one for another idea I have too).

I'll be sure to to post to Ask DST soon. Thanks again!

wow - nice work Ivan. Is that model based on the MAX jet? Damn nice idea for a custom. There must be a fair few hours in front of the computer involved in that pic!

Thanks. Actually, this one had a pretty quick turnaround compared to other projects. There's lots of reuse here. I didn't have to make any new models, I just re-skinned the MAX Jet and Pilot from the Top Gun Animation. While the initial time investment for those models was large, reuse is cheap.

wow - nice work Ivan. Is that model based on the MAX jet? Damn nice idea for a custom. There must be a fair few hours in front of the computer involved in that pic!

Thanks. Actually, this one had a pretty quick turnaround compared to other projects. There's lots of reuse here. I didn't have to make any new models, I just re-skinned the MAX Jet and Pilot from the Top Gun Animation. While the initial time investment for those models was large, reuse is cheap.

I'm actually really surprised with as well as the cop has sold, that we don't have a cop car, or even better a police motorcycle 2-pack!. Bonus points if they are Ponch & John from C.H.I.P.S.! We already have the helmet that was released in the Terminator 2 line. I would love to see more of those helmets released.