UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel: Wave 15

Urban Saboteur

Hey,

I was looking through the Minimate Database starting at Series 1 and working my way through them, identifying characters that i'd want to add to my own collection from previous Waves. I then came across Wave 15.

http://www.minimatedatabase.com/series.php?i=45&n=Wave+15

To see that it had been cancelled due to 'Low Retailer Demand' :confused::unsure:

It's unfortunate because IMHO, I'd of liked to of seen The Caretaker, Blackheart, Johnny Blaze, Mephistopheles.

I remember seeing on the other discussion of Marvel Characters not yet released, along with Baron Zemo & Kang the Conqueror was Blackheart. This would of given us the Blackheart figure I think we'd like to see in our collection.

Two Questions for discussion really, more for my own info if anybody can shed light on it.

1. Was there any art releases or figure designs for this wave before it got canned? ~ if so can someone provide a link?

2. In some collectors markets, rather than release at Mass retails some manufacturers offer characters as an online exclusive order only, where by they put up the designs and ideas as a 'pre-order' with the pre-order set a certain amount before they go into production, and the manufacturer will produce as per the quantity required when that quote is met. Is this something DST would consider doing for the more obscure/less sought after characters such as Blackheart & the others we are missing.

Rich

The set was a bit too civilian. And while they are not particularly bad minimates by any means, I think DST were a bit of a cross-roads: a point where they needed a hit - and these were not going to be it. Retailers weren't really on board, possibly because the movie didn't do particularly well. It's a shame they never found a good time to release them because i would very happily have Caretaker, Racetrack Johnny blaze & Roxanne minimates in my collection.

You can see why they went will Wave 16 though. Instantly recognisable avengers in classic costumes & brightly coloured packaging. Much for LCS friendly.

Unfortunately, i don't think even small numbers of the set made it to production. One of the board members here has started a collection of the Prototypes or Test Shots for the wave that have turned up online, but they are mostly one-offs.

EDIT: Perhaps 'needed a hit' is too strong/negative - perhaps it's more apt to say that Minimates were at a point where they couldn't afford to take such a big risk on a series that might turn out to be average performers.

Edited by Nessex

Thanks for the replies guys, anyone else want to chime in please feel free?

So I take it even with a pre-order quote to produce some of these lesser characters, DST wouldn't do them as online orders only?

If that is the case, Blackheart, Caretaker, Johnny Blaze etc, are they resigned to the bin never to be released?? :confused:

I expect 'that particular member with the test-shots' will eventually chime in on this thread & tell us what he thinks ;)

That wave failed to get my juices flowing at the time although they would have become the first pre-order toys that I would have ever taken delivery of,it wasn't meant to be. I've always failed to see how a steedless Ghost Rider would ever have been a great success but then again I never thought 2" Sentinels would sell :blush:

I have to comment on the 'retailer demand aspect' ......how things change!!! Does anybody really believe that DST would cancel a forthcoming Marvel wave if 'retailer demand was low' these days ? If that were the case then I can think of one or two items that would never have seen the light of day. Thank God things have changed.

I have to comment on the 'retailer demand aspect' ......how things change!!! Does anybody really believe that DST would cancel a forthcoming Marvel wave if 'retailer demand was low' these days ? If that were the case then I can think of one or two items that would never have seen the light of day. Thank God things have changed.

Can we elaborate for those amongst us not clever enough to figure it out (ie: Me)?

Can we elaborate for those amongst us not clever enough to figure it out (ie: Me)?

I'm not one for opening Pandora's Box .....& you are clever enough :whistling:

I don't think we'll ever see these guys, especially not Blackheart and Mephisto (because the concepts were stupid, not cause they were bad mates). However, with GR 2 coming out this year, I wouldn't count some Luke Cage minimates off the table.

Luke Cage is going to be in GR2?

Edited by Nessex

I'd like to see Blackheart, but only the comic book version, not that ridiculous Wes Bentley hot topic kid version.

I second this, the version of Blackheart I recall in my mind is more like the Marvel Legends version. Just scale it down to Minimate proportions :biggrin:

I'd like to have Blackheart & Mephisto, those are the two that i would really like, seeing as though we have 3 maybe 4 versions already of Ghost Rider. :)

Rich

Hi Rich, check out this thread I made, originally as an attempt to gather info to build my own custom Wave 15 'mates. I've been able to track down some of the factory test shots from an eBay seller in China, and there are pix and details posted at the above link. My goal is to eventually get a complete set of Wave 15 test shots. I am a big GR fan, and despite the major flaws I enjoy the first movie.

Unfortunately, a test shot Ghost Rider popped up on eBay a few years ago, but I wasn't able to purchase it, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody here has spoken up about winning it. I'm hoping whoever won it frequents the board and will one day PM me! :)

If you have any questions about the GR 'mates, let me know.

Not saying I like these designs, by that I mean the movie desgn choices, not DST's execution per say, the likeness on Mendez, Fonda, and to an extent Cage aren't bad at all. If you'd seen the movie then you imediately recognize them. (If you haven't seen the movie... don't bother unless it happens to be on TV on a lazy, rainy Saturday and you have nothing else to do. And then whatever you do, try not to think about the plot... at... all.)

There always the chance that 616 Caretaker might... might... show up if Chuck and the gang decide to do a Midnight Sons themed wave. (which amounts to a long shot inclusion in a longer shot wave) And since they made Mephisto, then his son is always a possibility at some point. Maybe in a boxed set with a Ketch GR, Wolverine, and Punisher. (mind blanking on the name of the title involved there, but it was at the hieght of Ketch and Punisher's 90's popularity)

Just to weigh in here, at the request of Urban Saboteur:

- These figures were never slated for mass. Minimates were only going to specialty retailers at this point, not Toys "R" Us.

- Without sharing these figures with Toys "R" Us, the production would have hinged entirely on the specialty orders. I'm actually surprised they reached the test shot stage.

- DST is NOT set up to sell direct-to-consumer in any sort of real numbers. Selling direct-to-retailers is the best we can do, and based on the mixed reactions from serious Minimate collectors on these forums, I doubt fan response would have been much different than the retailers' commitment.

- Windows for the movies are limited, so we can definitely not produce these figures any more.

- I do not believe there were ever any plans to do GR2 Minimates, possibly due to the initial reaction to these figures, and the generally low expectations for the sequel.

- While I personally did not care for the first movie, I am looking forward to the second. Big Crank/Gamer fan.

There always the chance that 616 Caretaker might... might... show up if Chuck and the gang decide to do a Midnight Sons themed wave. (which amounts to a long shot inclusion in a longer shot wave) And since they made Mephisto, then his son is always a possibility at some point. Maybe in a boxed set with a Ketch GR, Wolverine, and Punisher. (mind blanking on the name of the title involved there, but it was at the hieght of Ketch and Punisher's 90's popularity)

I think that would be awesome. I've read that series, infact when I was into collecting ML figures it was that very story that introduced me to Ghost Rider, Blackheart & Punisher. :biggrin:

I also remember specifically using GR to battle Blackheart in the Ps3 Videogame Marvel Ultimate Alliance. I think that's where my 'want' for having both Blackheart & Mephisto come from, it just feels because we've already got Ghost Rider and Punisher in a few waves that the others are loose ends not tied up.

I'd like to take the opportunity in thanking those that have commented to fill me in on how things work with DST (also how things have worked in the past releases) especially Zach for posting up at my request.

I guess from this point if fans want a Caretaker, Mephisto & Blackheart they would have to be outright customs then? unless the long shot of a Midnight Sons pack came out. :)

Rich

Hi Rich, check out this thread I made, originally as an attempt to gather info to build my own custom Wave 15 'mates. I've been able to track down some of the factory test shots from an eBay seller in China, and there are pix and details posted at the above link. My goal is to eventually get a complete set of Wave 15 test shots. I am a big GR fan, and despite the major flaws I enjoy the first movie.

Unfortunately, a test shot Ghost Rider popped up on eBay a few years ago, but I wasn't able to purchase it, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody here has spoken up about winning it. I'm hoping whoever won it frequents the board and will one day PM me! :)

If you have any questions about the GR 'mates, let me know.

Regarding your post here and your thread you linked me to I sent you a PM :)

thanks for the link.

Rich

Oh wow. No GR2? Not even a box set like Punisher War Zone?

LOVED the Punisher in that set. Beautiful minimate. I quite liked Looney Bin Jim too!

Shame we wont be seeing anything for GR2 - the first movie showed a tiny hint of Blackheart transforming from his human form into something else. I was kinda hoping he would fully transform into something similar to the comic book version of himself in the sequel & that we might finally have a Blackheart minimate :(

Perhaps when the 15th anniversary rolls around we'll see a pair of Comic GR Box Sets

Ghost Rider through the Ages

Johnny Blaze

Dan Ketch

Current female Ghost Rider

Ghost Rider 2099

All with extra heads and hair for human and demon transformation

the second would have to include

Western Ghost Rider

Vengeance

Mephisto

Blackheart

Both boxes would have giant 15th anniversary stamp on the front as an extra nod/Easter egg for collectors in the know.

- These figures were never slated for mass. Minimates were only going to specialty retailers at this point, not Toys "R" Us.

- Without sharing these figures with Toys "R" Us, the production would have hinged entirely on the specialty orders. I'm actually surprised they reached the test shot stage.

- DST is NOT set up to sell direct-to-consumer in any sort of real numbers. Selling direct-to-retailers is the best we can do, and based on the mixed reactions from serious Minimate collectors on these forums, I doubt fan response would have been much different than the retailers' commitment.

- Windows for the movies are limited, so we can definitely not produce these figures any more.

- I do not believe there were ever any plans to do GR2 Minimates, possibly due to the initial reaction to these figures, and the generally low expectations for the sequel.

- While I personally did not care for the first movie, I am looking forward to the second. Big Crank/Gamer fan.

Should we be safe to assume no Spider-Man mates for the new movie either?

Should we be safe to assume no Spider-Man mates for the new movie either?

LOL we would be so bloomin lucky.