UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

OFFICE SPACE 'mates? Could be possible ...

Xybot

That's so cool! One of the main things that attracted me to minimates was the variety of licenses. Where else can you pit Wolverine against Super Man against Tony the Tiger against Boomer against Rocky Balboa against a giant Kirk?

"Office Space marks the latest addition to Diamond Select Toys’ growing portfolio of diverse licenses - including sci-fi hits such as Star Trek and Stargate, Marvel Comics, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Street Fighter and films such as X-Men: The Last Stand, Ghost Rider, Joss Whedon’s Serenity and the Rocky series. "

I highlighted the properties from which we have seen Minimates in red. In green are the properties I'd love to see become 'mates. How about it, AA? Bring us some Firefly 'mates!

This seems like a strange acquisition to me. Clearly there isn't enough Office Space related merchandise on the market but it's been 7 years since the movie was released! AA couldn't get LOTR minimates to sell just a handful of years after the trilogy! I'm skeptical but another Minimates line is always a good thing - and the possibility of cubicle playsets! I can't tell you how many times I've thought about picking up the entire Cubes line and making my Minimates slave away in bureacratic hell!

I'm not sure what to think. On the one hand, I love Office Space. I got the original DVD and the special edition that came with all the office crap. It's one of the benchmarks of comedic social commentary. On the other hand, as said above, if a trilogy of movies couldn't generate sales, then how can a single cult classic keep the numbers in the black? Personally, I think LotR was hurt by the 2.5" scale. All of the successful lines have been in the 2" scale. Figures just go from cute and cool to bulky and odd in the larger scales.

Overall, I'd love to see these, but I just can't see the business sense in diverting a great deal of effort into this line.

On a side note, I don't think we'll see any Buffy mates, seeing how Palz seems to hold that license.

Honestly, I dont think that Office Space can be compared to LOTR in the realm of sales.

The LOTR mates' sales suffered mainly because of timing and market saturation. I mean, let's face it - LOTR merchandise was everywhere. You couldn't turn around without something reminding you of the trilogy in some way. By the time people were seeing LOTR minimates, they were beginning to get sick of it all. The market was flooded too fast and too abundantly, and in the long run it turned people off to anything related to it.

Office Space isn't on that level. It doesn't have to worry about selling its merch to people who are sick of it.

Granted, the absense of that problem doesn't dissolve its other potential sales hurdles (like the fact that it's been out for 7 years)... there is still the question of just how well Office mates would do in the market, and who they would be aimed at, and what stores would pick them up. I would imagine maybe Spencers and other similar stores would carry them... I could see Tower and Media Play carrying these, but with both of those out of business, should we be taking that as some sort of sign of what kinds of products the market is wanting?

... I am making myself sad.

Well said, Donny B. Market saturation killed the LOTR 'mates, plain and simple. A minimate Frodo isn't too impressive when you've already got a Frodo keychain, bookmark, action figure, hat, CD, magazine, etc.

I could see the Office Space 'mates selling steadily as an online exclusive, maybe also bundled with the DVD, like they did with the Avengers cartoon. Getting one free exclusive 'mate with the film, along with a catalog showing all the others, could get folks interested in the whole minimate universe.

And I love the idea of a cubicle playset. It makes me yearn for another golden opportunity for a minimate line - SEINFELD!

Yet another reason that Minimates are more addictive than crack. The potential of these I think is two-fold: one as the only real merchandise to an incredibly funny film and two as potential civilians for Super Hero dominated world of Marvel and DC. Either way I'd buy them.

Oh yeah, and I'm definetly ready for Firefly Minimates.

But isn't the license just for collectables?

Well the quote from Michael Leavey says, ""Now everyone will have the opportunity to own their very own Office Space collectibles, as well as other items based on the characters and situations in the movie."

I'm guessing other items could include Minimates. Doubtful but it's a possibility.

• 2 weeks later...