UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

A Tuneful subject

mini nugget

So i've recently decided to learn the stylophone as a method of escapism from school and what not. I decided on the stylophone just to be different, i know a few people who have learnt guitar, drums and one of my teachers has started playing ukelele so i thought i'd take a different approach.

But this got me wondering, do any other verser's play any instruments? Anyone in a band? or do some singing?

Just thought it'd be a good discussion, so what do you think?

Stylophone is certainly unique. Have you played any other instruments, or is this your starting point?

I've played in a few bands on a variety of instruments- bass, guitar, xylophone, and various keyboards/synthesizers. I've also got a banjo. The last band I was in went to SXSW a couple times and was featured on mtv's $5 Cover. I quit playing in bands a few years ago. Between work and family, it was just too much to do. Also I don't have much musical talent, but I still get out the guitar or sit down at the piano from time to time. We got my son (he's two) a little guitar for Christmas, and he likes to jam out with me. So that's fun. I've thought about getting a uke or a mandolin. Those are pretty fun instruments to play around on.

I tried, like I think everyone else in the world, to pick up guitar. Got one for Christmas one year (like everyone else in the world) and promptly never touched it after a month. Much like everyone else in the world.

When starting college I tried to learn ukulele, cause I'm so different and zany and nobody understands me. That was also a failure.

On the other hand, my brother can pick up any instrument he wants and if he sets his mind to it he can play it.

I say, if you're gonna pick up an instrument to be different, go big or go home. Get a theremin.

well it's certainly interesting reading peoples stories.

Turtle this is really my first proper try at learining an instrument, had a go at keyboard in school but failed as soon as it came to using two hands, like most people tried a guitar but couldnt get into it. Music is never normally my thing, I focus on my acting and art skills normally but i always wanted to be able to say "Nice to meet you, I play [insert instrument here]" and i feel that the stylophone is genuinely different and interesting

I play guitar, bass and sing mostly. I know a little keyboard and I am getting ready to learn the ukulele.

You can check out my (cover) bands on Facebook: Burning Iris, Never til Now and Mo' Jager (also on mojager.com)...

Coming soon is Double Tap which is an acoustic 2-piece with my lovely girlfriend on vocals.

I highly recommend an instrument. The potential is limitless. And you can get chicks easier... :powergirl:

I tried, like I think everyone else in the world, to pick up guitar. Got one for Christmas one year (like everyone else in the world) and promptly never touched it after a month. Much like everyone else in the world.

Hey, I touch my guitar all the time! :angry: Whenever I need to get something out from behind it in the closet!

loving these stories guys keep them going. Handsomedevil I'll check your bands out mate. Somehow don't think a stylophone will help a lot with chicks, but I'd like it if it did :P

Learnt my first song today, or part of it at least, just been fidling with it till now. Decided to learn kids by MGMT due to the electricy sounds of it which I think match the stylophone

I played piano for a little over 10 years, got pretty good, and gave it up. I was pretty good, not professional good, but I really miss playing. Probably couldn't play anything now if I tried. Also played saxophone up until I started high school, and by virtue of a similar key structure, I found that I could also do a pretty decent job on the clarinet.

Huh, for some reason the stylophone reminds me of one of these. Pretty cool! :thumbsup:

I took up piano for about a year in grade school, and can only do about two chords in guitar. The last musical instrument I took up half-seriously was the harmonica, I can only play it at a skill level that annoys other people and only vaguely sounds like recognizable music :confused: