UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Guessing Game

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a Minimate vehicle Enterprise in the style of the current vehicles (a tad super-deformed)? Instead of opening up to seat 1 or 2 figures, it could come with a unique figure and a unique base to make it look like it is orbiting a planet? Variants could be a Warp mode, battle damaged mode, etc. The could do the same with a Klingon Bird of Prey and other notable ships.

Edit: Here is a stylistic example of what I mean, this is an Enterprise & Shuttle salt & pepper combo. The closest thing I could find to represent a possible Enterprise Minimate vehicle:

e96e_star_trek_salt_pepper_shakers.jpg

or the Burger King kid's toy from the newest movie:

41tBYNMudiL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A Borg cube with Queen would be cool!

Edited by youbastards

If anybody thinks I get any pleasure out of telling as it is then they'd be wrong but if anybody is seriously saying that Star Trek Minimates would sell again then placate yourself for now with a complete variant set of Wave 3 from Cornerstorecomics at $10 a set.

Wave 3 was released an astonishing 4 years ago & CSC have 50+ sets in stock.

In fairness, Trek wave 3 was probably one of the worst-composed of any wave of Minimates ever. Two (more) boring Kirk variants, two (more) boring Spock variants, and new characters you had to be really into the original show to care about (sorry Sarek fans). I think the only saving grace of this wave was the Klingon, with a nice new sash piece and maybe the potential for army building. Waves 4 and 5 are both sold out, I would guess on the merit of the TNG and DS9 characters, and in spite of the still more boring Kirk variants.

Problem is, the NG figures follow pretty much the same pattern as OS as far as Star Fleet characters are concerned- all black from the waist down. Sure you have a few variations with Troi's gray tights or Pichard's away uniform, but after that it's pretty, well, uniform. That said I'd rather see those over more OS characters rehashed, or minimates from the reboot movieverse.

What sci-fi series would I rather see get minimated than more Trek? Farscape!! (Lord, I miss that show)

Problem is, the NG figures follow pretty much the same pattern as OS as far as Star Fleet characters are concerned- all black from the waist down. Sure you have a few variations with Troi's gray tights or Pichard's away uniform, but after that it's pretty, well, uniform.

If you want some uniform variety, just include Troi in every 2-pack -- she had so many outfits on that show, they could release a couple of Through The Ages box sets for her alone...

Problem is, the NG figures follow pretty much the same pattern as OS as far as Star Fleet characters are concerned- all black from the waist down. Sure you have a few variations with Troi's gray tights or Pichard's away uniform, but after that it's pretty, well, uniform.

If you want some uniform variety, just include Troi in every 2-pack -- she had so many outfits on that show, they could release a couple of Through The Ages box sets for her alone...

Only if we get Demona. :)

I'm with Miry though. Farscape would kick the frell out of everything!

In fairness, Trek wave 3 was probably one of the worst-composed of any wave of Minimates ever. Two (more) boring Kirk variants, two (more) boring Spock variants, and new characters you had to be really into the original show to care about (sorry Sarek fans). I think the only saving grace of this wave was the Klingon, with a nice new sash piece and maybe the potential for army building. Waves 4 and 5 are both sold out, I would guess on the merit of the TNG and DS9 characters, and in spite of the still more boring Kirk variants.

This!

I really bought heavily into the Trek mates, and I was pretty burnt out on the constant Kirk & Spocks. I know that historically they are best-sellers, but the seemed to reach saturation point pretty quick! DST was starting to get into more varied & interesting territory, but STTMP really should not have been considered. Decker & Ilia were well made, but the movie it's based on is sooo boring and not a fan favorite.

I think the time is right to focus on modern 90's Trek, and sprinkle in TOS here and there to keep all fans happy. This is the 25th anniversary of STTNG, and with the updated HD BluRay season sets coming out this year, it's a great time to focus on TNG (plus I would love more DS9 sets!) Trek has so many great vehicles that would work well in the vehicles line, especially all of the shuttles.

IF DST were to do Trek again, I say follow the Ghostbusters model: A few shared 2-packs mixed with TRU/direct market exclusives. Focusing on TNG to begin with would mean very little re-dos, just put Picard in his jacket, and give us Locutus! And yes, I would buy updated versions of everything they put out already, but that's just me. But remade TOS crewmembers seem the logical thing to do at somepoint, just wait until the line has legs.

So I've been thinking a lot lately about Zach's comment of "reviving lines that were thought defunct", and I'm almost 100% sure it is only in reference to Battle Beasts since many of us had given up hope.

I sincerely hope this is not the case. I have never thought of Battle Beasts as "defunct", only delayed. If this is what Zach was referring to, I will be disappointed if we don't get a resurrected line. I hope for several I've mentioned before, but I'd be surprised if LOTR isn't one of them. Plus I expect to see the Trek Shuttlecraft in the vehicles line.

IF LOTR returned, would you prefer the previous format of Hobbits as 2-inch and humans/elves as 2.5-inch mates? Or would you prefer a new, smaller size mini-minimate (1.5-inch?) for Gollum/Hobbits and the standard 2-inch for the normal size figures? I think that would be really cool, and would allow for smaller kid-size mates in other lines (Puck from Alpha Flight!)

......... just wait until the line has legs.

:lol:

Producing further Tolkienesque ( :ohmy: ) figures might create havoc with Chuck's steadfast stance on the 2" conundrum ....he won't budge ! I have to say that LOR are another licence that I feel should just be left alone but if they were to be revived 'a la TRU BSG' then I reckon the whole damn lot would more or less need to be revisited all in 2" . I'm not sure if there is a market for fresh LOR....Hobbit perhaps ,but I don't think so.

Dredd would be a winner.

As for the various Kirks and Spocks, they could of at least had different facial expressions to make them somewhat different. I know there were a few "slight" alterations in their facial expressions, but other than TWT Kirk and FA Spock they pretty much had the same facial tampos. Same goes for McCoy. But I agree with all of you, the lack of diversity is what killed the line. Poor commander Data never saw fruition as a minimate. :(

So I've been thinking a lot lately about Zach's comment of "reviving lines that were thought defunct", and I'm almost 100% sure it is only in reference to Battle Beasts since many of us had given up hope.

I sincerely hope this is not the case. I have never thought of Battle Beasts as "defunct", only delayed. If this is what Zach was referring to, I will be disappointed if we don't get a resurrected line. I hope for several I've mentioned before, but I'd be surprised if LOTR isn't one of them. Plus I expect to see the Trek Shuttlecraft in the vehicles line.

Battle Beasts was never defunct. We never even started it! As you've all seen, we'll be announcing something at C2E2 (not Toy Fair), so assume that we will be immediately turning it up to 11, as promised for all of the lines.

I can think of two lines that are defunct (or thought of as defunct) that are currently getting new items in 2012, although one of those might only be seen as getting an extra something-something. Hopefully all of our plans come to fruition.

Okay, kinda sounds like Trek isn't coming back, but only releasing the shuttle craft in the vehicles line. With another Kirk. Hooray.

Defunct: Hobbit/LotR, Godfather, Rocky, Beverly Hills Cop, Cereal, Father's Day, Speedracer, Trek, BSG, Ghostbusters, Street Fighter II (could be considered different than MvC), Sony (Kratos?), Ghost Rider (wave)...

Off the top of my head anyways, it sounds like we're getting a Trek shuttle craft and either Hobbit or SFII.

But that's random speculation.

Hooray! We're gona be there at the BB reveal! It'll be the largest attendance at a MM panel ever!

Okay, kinda sounds like Trek isn't coming back, but only releasing the shuttle craft in the vehicles line. With another Kirk. Hooray.

Defunct: Hobbit/LotR, Godfather, Rocky, Beverly Hills Cop, Cereal, Father's Day, Speedracer, Trek, BSG, Ghostbusters, Street Fighter II (could be considered different than MvC), Sony (Kratos?), Ghost Rider (wave)...

Off the top of my head anyways, it sounds like we're getting a Trek shuttle craft and either Hobbit or SFII.

Hooray! We're gona be there at the BB reveal! It'll be the largest attendance at a MM panel ever!

You forgot I Robot. It's I Robot fer shure!! :lol:

My hope is LOTR and Trek Shuttlecraft (originally shown with a Spock figure). If it's a Trek shuttlecraft, I hope there will be variants with different figures! *Especially* if it's a new variant figure like Mirror Mirror Scotty! This could also open the door back up for more Trek at TRU (home of the rotting movie junk). I swear that movie stuff would have sold better if the quality were better.

Of course, if the following vehicle waves after the TOS Trek shuttle included variants like the STTNG Shuttles with Data and one with Riker, DS9 Runabout with Kira and O'Brien, and TOS Movie series shuttlecraft with STIV Kirk & Spock, I'd buy them all :)

You forgot 24... and the Spirit! OMG, maybe it's the cancelled comic Spirit box set! :woot:

... though I don't think it it. :sad:

The shuttle craft's the best guess for "extra something something". Hopefully it won't come with Spock but with Worf or Data or somebody from Next Gen.

The more I think about it, the more I think DC Minimates are returning. Yes, I know a lot of people think it will NEVER happen, but remember these things:

1. DC/WB has completely restructured their licensing program since DC Minimates were last around. Georg Brewer's gone, and DC seems much more willing to license their characters out to other companies.

2. DST has a strong partnership with Toys R Us, which wasn't in place back then either. That certainly has to make an impression on any potential partnership.

3. DST wants to do them again, if given the chance. Why wouldn't they? DC would provide a second, near-endless anchor for Minimates along with Marvel.

Not saying it's GOING to happen... and what will NEVER happen again is that AA will design Minimates for DC Direct to distribute... but if you look at all the factors it makes the most sense.

Only if we get Demona. :)

Oh, sweet Jebus, Gargoyles Minimates would be phenomenal...

IF LOTR returned, would you prefer the previous format of Hobbits as 2-inch and humans/elves as 2.5-inch mates? Or would you prefer a new, smaller size mini-minimate (1.5-inch?) for Gollum/Hobbits and the standard 2-inch for the normal size figures? I think that would be really cool, and would allow for smaller kid-size mates in other lines (Puck from Alpha Flight!)

Oooooooooooh, I like that... That way, I could have Gandalf hang out with Iron Man & not need Photoshop to make them the same scale...Gandalf the Grey's hat would be perfect for Scarecrow customs...

They could use the kid-sized Minimates from that "Father's Day" line that never happened!

My fear about the possibility of starting a Hobbit line, is not getting all the dwarves. We were lucky to get the whole Fellowship before LotR was cancelled. Yeah, we still missed the girls & Ringwraiths, but we at least got the 9 main guys and a few baddies. There's 13 dwarves alone, then Bilbo & Gandalf (which, we never did get the Grey version in LotR), Gollum, Elrond, the goblins, the wood elves, the trolls, Bard...

Also, the problem with getting the license back for LotR or for the first time for Hobbit - Lego has their own license for both franchises. Would DST even be able to get one for Minimates?

You forgot I Robot. It's I Robot fer shure!! :lol:

Hey, no joke, I'd be fine with one two-pack of Spooner & Sonny...

Zach, what would be the particulars of a movie line similar to the Sony Video Game wave? Would it be feasible to get a "studio license" and put out individual 2-packs of different movies? Would such a license even exist the way it did for the Sony 'Mates?

The more I think about it, the more I think DC Minimates are returning. Yes, I know a lot of people think it will NEVER happen, but remember these things:

1. DC/WB has completely restructured their licensing program since DC Minimates were last around. Georg Brewer's gone, and DC seems much more willing to license their characters out to other companies.

2. DST has a strong partnership with Toys R Us, which wasn't in place back then either. That certainly has to make an impression on any potential partnership.

3. DST wants to do them again, if given the chance. Why wouldn't they? DC would provide a second, near-endless anchor for Minimates along with Marvel.

Not saying it's GOING to happen... and what will NEVER happen again is that AA will design Minimates for DC Direct to distribute... but if you look at all the factors it makes the most sense.

Nothing would make me happier. I'd certainly save tons of money from having to customize everyone.

Edited by TENIME_art

Nothing would make me happier. I'd certainly save tons of money from having to customize everyone.

See, I'm actually slightly against DC Minimates returning, since I've spent a lot of time (and money!) rounding out the DCU. But I know I'd get over that real quick. :thumbsup:

Also, the problem with getting the license back for LotR or for the first time for Hobbit - Lego has their own license for both franchises. Would DST even be able to get one for Minimates?

Just guessing, but I'd imagine Lego's license is for "construction toys" or something, even though minifigs are in there. There doesn't seem to be any conflict between Marvel Lego and Minimates.

Zach has said repeatedly that he thinks that we will very happy with this summers exclusives, especially when we start talking about wanting new characters over redoes.

You know a boxed set that would make me happy?

the Avengers' Greatest Foes!

Kang

Grim Reaper

Count Nerfaria

Baron Zemo

That would make me happy.

Whether it would make anyone else happy is beside the point.