UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Guessing Game

Zack, would it help if I told you our expectations are high because you guys are so awesome?

Yes, yes it would.

But I can't help but feel bad when people get excited about things that aren't happening, or dismiss things that actually are.

That said, if we finalize the contracts for the licenses that are in negotiation, it'll be pretty amazing.

"Dismiss things that are happening"?? YES! DC MINIMATES ARE HAPPENING cuz lots'o people are dismissing it!!

Just kidding Zach!

Much of what we're talking about is our hopes, not our expectations. Don't worry about an internet lynch mob Zach. My own personal point of view is that it's important for us to verbalize our desires, in case DST ever wonders if there's a market for certain licenses.

What do I EXPECT from DST?

Minimates year 11 and on.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do I EXPECT from DST?

Minimates year 11 and on.

God, please. I'm not ready to let go quite yet.

Of course, I HOPE for years 20 and on :biggrin:

As for the guessing game, I never mentioned Battle Beasts as the "thought of as defunct" returning line, because I never thought them defunct, just delayed. I hope BB isn't the one Zach was referring to in this instance. I'm really hoping for the return of any of my favorite lines, plus looking forward to all the new awesomeness.

As for Star Wars, DST will always *want* that license, it's just a matter of working out the details. Lucas demands the highest dollar, plus the other licensors have exclusivity on certain sizes/ranges of products. I don't feel like Lucas is actively snubbing DST (I mean, DST *IS* making SW Banks and other products, right? And they made those 18-inch figures recently), it might just be because the 2-inch block figure category is already included in someone else's contract. Besides, with all the SW stuff out there, it seems like Lucas will license to *anyone* with the money, it's the other licensee's that push for exclusivity in their contracts, including likely future provisions for lines they never get around to. Hasbro did sub-license the 12-inch figure market out to Sideshow, but then they created Cre-Ons instead of licesning Transformers out to Lego.

That said, if we finalize the contracts for the licenses that are in negotiation, it'll be pretty amazing.

Zach Oat, thou art a vile temptress.

read that line and couldn't resist.

So here is Zach Oat, Vile Temptress.

Only quick in paint :)

post-179-0-00776800-1326132569_thumb.jpg

1 Mulan & Mushu

I'd rather see Mushu done like Lockheed or Venkman's hairless cat than a full Minimate.

I'm greedy and want both, one done like Daxter, form the Sony series, a mini-Mushu with the panda (Black and White Unit) with Royal Adviser and again in the Battle for the Mountain Pass box set. Maybe even a third in the Storming the Palace set with kite wings.

1 Mulan & Mushu

I'd rather see Mushu done like Lockheed or Venkman's hairless cat than a full Minimate.

I'm greedy and want both, one done like Daxter, form the Sony series, a mini-Mushu with the panda (Black and White Unit) with Royal Adviser and again in the Battle for the Mountain Pass box set. Maybe even a third in the Storming the Palace set with kite wings.

I could get behind that.

I'm just a scale Nazi, so I'd need that little one. :lol:

Heck, it could be an accessory to the big one for all I care.

If we're all going to get our hopes up about dream licenses, I'd love to see TMNT minimates. They have a new comic book out, a new show in the works and even a new movie somewhere along the lines. That would be my dream announcement for this year. I would also buy up Star Wars and Hellboy and maybe DC and Street Fighter if they were brought back. Basically I love minimates and can't wait to see what they have for us this year.

Here's hoping for TMNT!

if you read or worked at anime insider I heard the FBI kept you on a list. :P

:lol:

So I've been thinking a lot lately about Zach's comment of "reviving lines that were thought defunct", and I'm almost 100% sure it is only in reference to Battle Beasts since many of us had given up hope, but it has gotten me thinking of "What if" this meant more Trek 'mates.

We've all discussed 'why' we think the Trek line failed, but what would it take to make the line succeed and what should DST do differently if they were to bring it back? Do you think Trek could succeed with a LCS wave and supporting TRU line? The marketing model DST uses for 'mates has changed a lot since the last line ceased development.

Should they ditch the 'variant' pack and use that extra 2-pack for new characters, or would you rather see a variant/army builder like Marvel? Should they do full waves or box sets? What about Army Dumps of Klingons, Romulans, Borg, etc?

I'm not the biggest Trek fan, and I am mostly a fan of TOS, but I would love for Trek 'mates to make a return. What would have to be done differently to make it work?

I think the LCS box set/TRU 2-pack wave strategy is worth a look. I can't imagine it would do any worse than UM, which seems to sell through very, very slowly but surely.

It seems to be the prevailing opinion that TOS is the bread and butter of Trek, end of story. And, if Trek were to relaunch, I'm sure the test run would be an entire updated set of the TOS characters. However, I think a TNG boxset could sell – there are lots of TNG fans out there. As far as character selection, they would probably need to take a similar tack as UM, with repacks of key characters between the boxset and 2-packs, with a few unique characters in the TRU wave.

I won't go over the possible combinations; I think they've already been hashed out ad infinitum in the Trek thread...

Edited by Lobsterman

Ye Olde Star Trek OS Minimate recipe .....

Ingredients:

2 black feet

2 black boot 'things'

2 black legs

1 black crotch-piece

No tampos,no paint

Add a red ,yellow or blue torso

Add a face & a hairpiece to create individual character :rolleyes:

Change torso tampo for variant.

It is very difficult to get too enthusiastic about a series of Minimates in which the majority are identical from the waist down. Harsh....maybe? True....I'm afraid so.

Trek OS Minimates begged for an Enterprise diorama of some description ....

You bring up a good point, BHM, although it could be perceived as a strength, too, if you're into army building. I think a liberal helping of aliens in any new line would be a necessity to provide variety and visual excitement.

I'd rather have a TNG line than one more Kirk. I'm so sick of TOS mates.

And that, I fear, is why Trek probably isn't coming back. It's a one thing to ask old-time collectors to choke down another Spidey, Thor, Wolvie, or two per wave to get some new characters, but it's another to ask them to support a likely complete reboot of the TOS line, with a few waves of retreads before we even know if there's a chance we'd see new characters. I don't know, maybe some TOS aliens would get people excited about picking them up again.

Edited by Lobsterman

Let me just say that growing up in the 90s, TNG is the only Trek that I have any connection to. That and Voyager, but the less said about that, the better.

I'd rather have a TNG line than one more Kirk. I'm so sick of TOS mates.

This.

I have no connection to TOS, but I've got the full, iconic crew, so I'm good.

But Picard is lonely (though I am glad we got him, if anybody). :confused:

You bring up a good point, BHM, although it could be perceived as a strength, too, if you're into army building. I think a liberal helping of aliens in any new line would be a necessity to provide variety and visual excitement.

Forgive what may sound like a dig at you ...it is not meant.....

The Borg were an army builder that I bought into by the bucket load........ingredients:

2 black feet (one painted)

2 black legs

1 black crotchpice

1 black torso

2 black arms

blah blah blah

In all fairness this figure is a masterpiece in many respects especially the paint apps to the back of the head ....something that has become 'avoidable if possible' of late.

I don't think Trek 'mates would do well at specialty, unfortunately. There are a lot of retailers that still have 2-packs to this day, and I doubt they'd be enthusiastic to order more. Trek died because specialty stores couldn't move series 3-4-5 and didn't want to buy any more, pure and simple.

Trek might work if you follow the Ghostbusters model of releasing box sets to specialty and 2-pack waves to TRU; that assumes, though, that TRU wants Trek product, and I suspect that's not the case, considering that they are still trying to sell movie toys off. So my hunch is that, regardless of whether or not there's a market for Trek 'mates, there probably isn't one among retailers. Of course, that's all just my theory, and I could easily be proven wrong.

What if they only revisited TOS characters if they were packed with a new episode specific character/creature? Kind of like how they released Kirk/Vina? Maybe Bones/Salt Vampire, Uhura/Harry Mudd, Spock/Space Lincoln, etc? If I knew I was getting a new character per pack, I would more easily swallow the re-release pill. Plus, with what DST has shown they are willing to do with the Real Ghostbusters ghosts, they could get pretty creative with some of the non-humanoid Trek beings.