UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Guessing Game

bhm hesitates but still goes for the easy shot .....I of course would love a Zach Oat minimate :biggrin:

buttnosemate? <_<

WE'RE GETTING SPINAL TAP MINIMATES!!!!!!!!!!!!

That... would actually be amazing. 1/4-inch-tall Stonehenge accessory for the win.

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pickle mentioned in an earlier thread that he thinks Beverly Hills Cop and the Godfather will return via the TRU best of Paramount wave and my money is on that. Personally I'd love to see the ill fated Rocky III boxed set get released. Clubber Lang all the way fool! :mrt:

I would dig this to the MAX! Gimme thunderlips/ clubber lang 2-pack and I'd be thrilled

Someone, ANYONE, explain to me how you think it's even conceivable that DST picked up the DC license. Because it's not. I don't usually deal in absolutes, but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

If we somehow enter a second dimension where DST has the DC license and not Marvel, I will let one of y'all gut punch me at C2E2 this year.

I don't mean to be a dream crusher (yes I do) but I don't see how y'all can even THINK this could happen.

My guess for the returning lines are LOTR (due to the Hobbit) and Street Fighter (the games are popular again with new ones being made). As much as I'd love for Trek and Rocky (Thunderlips, Uncle Sam apollo and clubber lang minimates all looked awesome) to return I don't think it will happen.

As for new lines there's so many possibilities but if Aliens, Predator or Robocop are made I'd be jumping for joy.

Someone, ANYONE, explain to me how you think it's even conceivable that DST picked up the DC license. Because it's not. I don't usually deal in absolutes, but IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

If we somehow enter a second dimension where DST has the DC license and not Marvel, I will let one of y'all gut punch me at C2E2 this year.

I don't mean to be a dream crusher (yes I do) but I don't see how y'all can even THINK this could happen.

I would not say NEVER in this case. DST actively wants to do them again. DC direct has been failing with every mini line they put out, or at least don't last past the first wave or two. The previous DC guy that cancelled them stepped down IIRC, so there's someone new in charge to pitch the line to again.

I feel good that, even if not his year, eventually, one year there will be DC minimates again! I think it's all a matter of hashing out terms ($$$) between DC & DST.

I won't speak for others, but I don't mind sharing my thoughts, with two caveats: 1) our knowledge base is miniscule and 2) I want DC mates but don't expect them. With that said, you don't only buy Coke from the vending machine, and the same is true for DC products and DCD. Mattel, LEGO, and Mezco all sell DC products and are not in any way dealing with DCD. DST could conceivably work with WB and circumvent DCD altogether, thus getting us DC mates. DCD, as far as we know, need not be involved. Even so, change in leadership at DCD might smooth things over and lead to another pairing. Again, I stress lack of knowledge is an important point. Whenever asked about DC mates, DST invariably says ask DCD... not we'll talk to WB. This has always gotten my wheels turning, wondering what else is at play, but, as far as we know, it's possible for DST to pursue DC just like all the other companies that have successfully done so. It's entirely conceivable, regardless of the likelihood.

Prometheus/Alien(s) 'mates would be great.

Mini_Myte, that'd be a great way to get some much desired 'mates out. Those boxsets looked great.

Prometheus 'mates eventually leadeing to Alien 'mates?

I would buy Alien Minimates like crazy, but didn't DST and Fox have some kind of 'falling out'? I remember Chuck saying once that they weren't on good terms for some reason.

I thought it was more to do with Fox wanted too much money. Plus, I'm drawing a blank at what Fox properties DST has done. Let's hope they're not on the outs because there are a lot of Fox properties I want!

I won't speak for others, but I don't mind sharing my thoughts, with two caveats: 1) our knowledge base is miniscule and 2) I want DC mates but don't expect them. With that said, you don't only buy Coke from the vending machine, and the same is true for DC products and DCD. Mattel, LEGO, and Mezco all sell DC products and are not in any way dealing with DCD. DST could conceivably work with WB and circumvent DCD altogether, thus getting us DC mates. DCD, as far as we know, need not be involved. Even so, change in leadership at DCD might smooth things over and lead to another pairing. Again, I stress lack of knowledge is an important point. Whenever asked about DC mates, DST invariably says ask DCD... not we'll talk to WB. This has always gotten my wheels turning, wondering what else is at play, but, as far as we know, it's possible for DST to pursue DC just like all the other companies that have successfully done so. It's entirely conceivable, regardless of the likelihood.

That's basically what I was gonna say. Since Warners' reshuffling of the DC hierarchy a few years ago, they've been much more willing to dole out product licenses.

There's one more factor now that wasn't in play all those years ago when Georg Brewer broke our Mini hearts: Toys R Us. Having an obviously successful partnership with a national retail chain has to get the WB's attention. It's certainly NOT inconceivable that they would like to see little Batman minifigures on TRU pegs.

I'm with you, Turtle, I don't THINK we're going to see DC Minimates again, but I don't think it's impossible.

bhm hesitates but still goes for the easy shot .....I of course would love a Zach Oat minimate :biggrin:

bhm waits in anticipation for Frostie response from ZO

Don't try to get me involved in this thread! I don't want to feed into anything. I already worry I've set up too high expectations.

...Maybe they'll make me a pirate. *dreams*

Edited by Zach Oat

For revamping I'm hoping for a return of the Eastwood/classic westerns line or even a generic Western MAX line. The cereal mascots line would be fun but I highly doubt that will ever fly.

As for expanding lines I'd like to see the Universal monsters line pick increase to twice a year schedule with the inclusion to the modern remakes and possible inclusion of Van Helsing and Scorpion King spin offs. While a Van Helsing custom is easy enough with a Movie Wolverine as a base I'd still like to see an official version.

As for new properties, since Star Wars is likely still off the table I wouldn't mind seeing a Space Balls line.

Other properties would be a Square Enix Line (unlikely to happen but there is a fan base out there).

Naruto, Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist or One Piece I think that manga/anime properties have been woefully overlooked so far.

Thundercats, with the new show and the classic version there is a lot of potential for mates.

Finally a Disney line would have just as much, if not more potential than even the Marvel line. The fan base is cross generational and every parent knows most, if not all, of the characters, and there is a new group of characters every summer.

Just off the top of my head I can come up with a single wave, TRU exclusive, Disney Store box set, and even a true fans exclusive box set:

Mulan

1 Mulan & Mushu

2 Ling & General Shang

3 Hun Soldier (Builder)& Shen Po

4 Hun Soldier (Builder)& Yow

TRU Exclusive

1 Panda with Mushu & Royal Adviser

2 Emperor & Bride Mulan

Box Battle of the Mountain Pass

Ping with mini Mushu

Shan Yu with hawk

General Shang with rocket launcher

Royal Physician

SDCC/NYCC Box set Storming the Palace

Hun Guard

Ling (Royal Concubine)

Yow (Royal Concubine)

Shen Po (Royal Concubine)

If Disney isn't announced as one of the new lines I'm still betting it will happen eventually.

Edited by Prowlar

I can't believe you guys have all missed the obvious... turned up to eleven... WE'RE GETTING SPINAL TAP MINIMATES!!!!!!!!!!!! spinaltap.jpg

:buttrock:

I was going to go for the Spinal Tap route, I'm glad it wasn't just me that was itching to crack that joke.

I don't think one of those really fancy lines (SW, Joes, etc.) will happen and I guess Zach is hinting for that:

I already worry I've set up too high expectations.

So, here are my guesses.

1) That could mean more new characters (yay!), regularly more a accessories (yay²!), more details (fingers? I hope not!), stuff like this.

2)

• Could be Star Trek, but I don't see the reason.
  • Could be LotR and I do see a reason.
  • Could be DC and there are multiple reasons. When was the last time we were told the ball was lying over in DC's bureau? It's been a while, right? So it could be.
  • Could be Battle Beasts, but the line wasn't really thougt defunct, was it?
  • Could be Street Fighter, but for a not practicing videogames guy, aren't they included in the Capcom deal anyways?
  • Could "revive" mean "revive" as in living dead? But the MAX line isn't thought defunct.

Since it's plural I say LotR and SF, but hope for LotR and DC.

3) MAX. Maybe a hint for the Zombie line? We already know they're coming (to get you Barbara!), though. And it's "lines" again, plural.

4) MMMV mates. Finally! Kidding. Aren't they having some deal with Warner Bros. (Paramount)? I could imagine Cartoon Network and/or Adult Swim stuff. And TMNT. Would be cool and mind blowing.

Nah. I wouldn't worry about that. As long as we get DC, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Street Fighter, LOTR, the Hobbit, Aliens, Battle Beasts, Spinal Tap, The Godfather, Beverly Hills Cop, the Marx Brothers, and MMMV 'mates, we'll all be satisfied, and I really don't think that's too much to ask for. ;)

Nah. I wouldn't worry about that. As long as we get DC, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, Street Fighter, LOTR, the Hobbit, Aliens, Battle Beasts, Spinal Tap, The Godfather, Beverly Hills Cop, the Marx Brothers, and MMMV 'mates, we'll all be satisfied, and I really don't think that's too much to ask for. ;)

You forgot Hellboy!

Zack, would it help if I told you our expectations are high because you guys are so awesome?

Edited by hellpop

One day our spaceship will come in. Hasn't Chuck always said the thing holding back Star Wars mates is lack of interest from Lucas, rather than a conflict with the Hasbro license?

Still super unlikely that'll change, but it would be an awesome line.

Star Wars Minimates would be amazing. I'd love to have an X-Wing, a TIE Fighter, Slave I and Millenium Falcon. But because Mr. George Lucas is so dense it probably won't happen until he dies.

Also, I know people have been wanting Doctor Who Minimates so that would be good. I want MVC2 and Street Fighter Minimates.

Edited by Dio

You forgot Hellboy!

Zack, would it help if I told you our expectations are high because you guys are so awesome?

Can't forget the Golden Girls. Still waiting.

Yes, yes it would.

But I can't help but feel bad when people get excited about things that aren't happening, or dismiss things that actually are.

That said, if we finalize the contracts for the licenses that are in negotiation, it'll be pretty amazing.

Yes, yes it would.

But I can't help but feel bad when people get excited about things that aren't happening, or dismiss things that actually are.

That said, if we finalize the contracts for the licenses that are in negotiation, it'll be pretty amazing.

Okay then... you guys are awesome. Really and truly awesome. We all know that all of you are working your hardest to keep Minimates up to the Hall of Fame standards you've set. Our minds just naturally wander in certain directions whenever we're teased. It's not your fault, don't worry.

But look, just between us... it's Spinal Tap, right? First of the Mockumates? Followed by Guffman, and Best in Show? It's just too obvious.