UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Shapeways/3D Modeling thread

So, I don't know how many of you are aware, but Shapeways is a 3D printing company that utilized 3D printers to create models that you upload. I've heard very good things, and my first batch of stuff is coming shortly. There's a bunch of guys on TFW2005 that have picked it up and started making entire Transformers figures and accessories with it. I was also looking on the site, and found this guy who has amazing Lego accessories out the wazoo.

So I was thinking, maybe we could make parts for Minimates as well? Hats that fit over existing hair pieces? New weapons to make a full on armory? Slipover masks or chest blocks?

The cheapest material on Shapeways is White Strong Flexible. It's a good material for larger pieces, but it's quite rough. Smooth Detail or Transparent Detail would be better for smaller pieces.

You can really do almost anything. I was just wondering if I was the only one who had heard of this. I am absolutely dying to try it. I just have absolutely no experience with 3D programs.

I have used Shapeways before with good results. I have only used their White Strong Flexible material, which is a little bit rough as TM2 said. The main problem for minimate use is that all parts of the 3D object have to be 1/16" thick or thicker, which is inconvenient for minimate hair pieces that taper down, most minimate accessories, and most chest and add-on pieces. I do have some ideas written down in a notebook on some new minimate-sized items that could fit within these restrictions, but I haven't been able to work on them yet.

I considered making an articulated 8" minimate in scale with the Galactus and Sentinel statues, but to have them print it would be over $800.

I've ordered some stuff from some sellers on there. I will show them off when the customs are done. I got them made in the ultra frosted detail, a little more expensive, but they came out perfect! The items I got are based off of two very well known classic swords, and a mace :whistling: I also got one of the swords printed using the stainless steel, and that came out great as well.

I really want to get some accessories done, like different helmets and torso stuff like straps/armor/spikes/etc... I have started to make a few helmets... and a visor using 3DS Max. I made a complete minimate model before, but would have to really retweak a lot of it to fit the specs (to make it a watertight model)

I think its great, and would love to see a bunch of minimate related stuff on there in the future. I think it really is the next step in the evolution of custom minimates.

Its close, I'll get a measurement when i get home from work. a few of the tips come close to a point. Does the material selected when you upload have anything to do with it? I haven't tried uploading anything yet. I have used only ultra frosted detail and stainless, this may allow for different tolerances.

How durable is the printed model? I worked with something like this in college*, but the printed model was super fragile. Of course, it was just our university's printer so maybe they were using cheap material?

*Okay, so the department actually didn't work with me, but a friend of mine. We were both doing 3D modelling and thought it would be awesome to make figures like minimates, munnys, etc and he started to get stuff printed from them and told me to try too. When I went to talk to the guy he acted like he had no idea who my friend was and said they didn't let us art majors use that printer (it was for engineers).

All the reviews have said that WSF is very strong. Transparent can be quite fragile with torquing. I'll let you know this weekend when my shipment arrives.

I can't wait! Did you get mini-figure pieces or Transformer stuff? I'm curious about the costs for mini-stuff.

I've been following the 3D printer scene for years now off and on, just waiting for the below $1k desktop versions with cheap material (at better resolution than the DIY machines of course). I'm hopeful that within the next 10 years they will become commonplace with factory-quality output! :biggrin:

Okay, got them in, will post pics soon.

The level of detailing at such a tiny scale is staggering. I have no doubts whatsoever that this could be used to create minimate pieces.

That said, the cheapest plastic is WSF and I wouldn't recommend it for smaller items. It is quite rough. Frosted Detail I've heard is the best. I will try that next. Some of my WSF pieces have a hard time connecting together (joints and such) The paint also takes FOREVER to dry. It took 2 hours for my Model Masters paint to dry, when it's done on minimates in less than a minute. Again, this could be because of the plastic. More experimentation is needed.

I really want to learn 3D now and get good at it. i can easily foresee myself sinking boatloads of cash into this.

Here's some bad pics of my Cybertronian RiD Predacons (check out SkyByte's claw), and Motomaster w/ mace.

post-51-0-30311600-1326170710_thumb.jpg

post-51-0-30789300-1326170732_thumb.jpg

I considered making an articulated 8" minimate in scale with the Galactus and Sentinel statues, but to have them print it would be over $800.

Wow, that's expensive. And that's solid plastic too right? I think DST should make giant Minimates but have the big pieces be hollow to cut costs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Gang, Here are all the weapons I got made from shapeways. They are done in the frosted ultra detail, which I highly recommend. the lines are very clean and true to the original 3D model. The only one not done in this material is the other sword of omens, which is done in stainless steel.

post-21-0-20352900-1327423838_thumb.jpg