UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Hal Jordan Face Decal...

fatcow

Anyone have one designed or any other that can be used as hal? I am trying to use Adobe Illustrator to make one and everytime I try to fill the mask it just either turns the whole template green or doesn't do anything...really confused but can't afford a 30 dollar hal from Ebay...ANYONE?

I have a tutorial over at the Factory on decal design using Illustrator. Does that help?

I kind of understand how to use it, but the problem I'm having is when I created Hal's mask. I guess since they are all straight line segments it doesn't make it one singular shape so when I try to fill it ( maybe I'm doing it wrong ) it colors the whole template green. BTW I'm using the blank template that you have with your deadgirl template, is that the correct one?

I literally spent over an hour today just trying to make and color is his mask...getting frustrating now but I have to do it. Already bought an X-Men:First Class Xavier minimate to decal out and paint.

...or you could just wait for Hellpop to show up and be awesome. :D

Thanks. :biggrin: I'm not sure that I sized the mask right, but I think it's acceptable.

Anyway, Fatcow, here's a few more tips for making decals:

1. Find a program you're comfortable with. I use GIMP for my decals, and while there are some limits, I've been using it long enough that I've become fairly well- versed. Using a powerful program doesn't do much good if you can't figure it out.

2. I'm really terrible at drawing with a computer (and with my hands, but that's another story), but I've learned to get around that by being creative in using existing images. In addition to all the templates at the Minimate Factory, there are lots of great decals that can be used to cobble together something else. To make the GL decal, I looked through all the faces at the Factory and picked one I thought would make for a good mouth. I then erased the parts I didn't need. And for the next step....

3. Look for other pieces. There are lots of things that can be adapted to make Minimate decals: Cubees and other papercraft templates; Lego decals; Marvel Handbook and Who's Who pages... these are just some of the resources out there to use. When I'm looking to make a decal, I do an image search using phrases like "Green Lantern cubee" or "Green Lantern decal"; you'd be amazed at what you can find.

4. Push yourself! One thing I've started to get better at is using GIMP to draw. Here's a decal I did the other day of the KGBeast:

post-1943-0-58441800-1325691265_thumb.jp

For this, I started with Luke's Union Jack decal for the eyes and the facial shadows. Then I found an image of KGBeast's face, and clipped and sized the mask details. Next, I pasted the details as a new layer on my decal and traced them using GIMP's path tool (which allows me to plot straight lines and curve them as needed). After drawing what I needed, I simply deleted the extra layer. It's tricky, and it takes some work, but I'm very happy with the results. This is a decal that would have been beyond my skills just a few months ago. :biggrin:

You guys are possibly the nicest forum EVER! Seriously...mind is blown. THANK YOU! Will try the hellpop one and if not make my own...but seriously after 2 hours of trying to make a mask I feel way better after reading this.

BEST FORUM EVER.

Btw...to apply this decal, all I have to do is open it and print it right? Or do I have to resize it?

Luke has a template for a full sheet download somewhere at the Minimate Factory, but I can't seem to find it. I usually just paste my decals onto that page and print from there. Search the Factory for a bit and I'm sure you'll find it. If not, ask Luke. I'd send it to you, but I'm not quite sure how without resizing it, which defeats the purpose. :)

when i paste a decal into there it retains its regular size? am i doing something wrong? the image is 300 dpi

Yeah, just paste it in and it will print at the right size. Well, approximately; mine always seem to come out slightly small. Make sure you do a test page first!