UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What's a Birthday Elephant?

Maybe you.

It's no secret; 'Versers are some of the most friendly, generous board members around. This year's Secret Santa gift exchange was a huge success, and the participants managed to raise the bar with their gifts and brought holiday joy to board members around the world. Why not keep that love going all year?

I'm happy to present the inaugural Minimate Multiverse Birthday Elephant gift exchange. Like Secret Santa (okay, this is a shameless rip-off of Secret Santa :sweat: ), participants in the gift exchange will be assigned a "birthday elephant," another board member who remembers your birthday and sends you something special. The rules work the same, too, with the important caveat that elephants will need to actually remember when their recipients' birthday is. With many thanks to GH for creating a successful gift exchange model (and profuse apologies for cribbing), here is the rundown:

1) The most important rule: Elephants. Do. Not. Forget. This will be a little trickier than Secret Santa, as you may not be in gift-buying mode when your recipient's birthday rolls around. Nonetheless, you will be expected to remember his or her birthday and send your gift within an appropriate mailing timeframe (2 weeks for US members, 3 weeks for international). I'll send you a reminder email one month before your recipient's birthday, but if you're planning a time-intensive gift, you'll need to schedule accordingly.

2) There is no minimum trading feedback needed to participate. However, if you have been on the board for less than six months you need to contact me prior to signing up so you can be approved.

3) There will be two groups you can participate in: those who only want to ship within the United States and those who are willing to ship outside of the United States. See below for specific shipping dates.

Signing up:

If you want to sign up, please email minimatebirthdays@yahoo.com with the following info (with Birthday Elephant Info and your MMMV board name as the subject). No PMs please.

• Minimate Multiverse board name:

• Your birthday:

• E-mail address:

• Name and address for packages to be shipped to:

• Special shipping instructions (if any):

• Are you willing to be a backup Elephant?

• Do you want to only ship within the United States or are you willing to ship internationally.

• Anyone you DON'T want to be assigned to for whatever reason.

• Items you're interested in receiving or absolutely do not want.This should be a general list of reasonable items. Of course we'd all like a toilet made of solid gold, but it's probably not in the cards. Because this will be going on all year, new items may crop up on your wish list; if you'd like to send an updated list, please do so at least one month before your actual birthday.

• Any additional info your Birthday Elephant should know.

This info must be submitted no later than Monday, January 9 to participate. If you sign up to participate, look for an e-mail from me between January 10 and 14. Once I have everyone's information, I’ll send out emails to each participant by January 14th. You’ll be responsible for the name you receive (no trading allowed). People will be paired up randomly from within the pools of "US shipping" and "International shipping" participants.

Sending and receiving your gift

As mentioned above, you'll need to remember when your recipient's birthday is and send his or her gift with an appropriate amount of shipping time:

International packages should be sent with a three-week lead time (e.g.: if your recipient's birthday is Tuesday May 15, you should send no later than Tuesday, April 24).

US packages should be sent be sent with a two-week lead time (e.g.: if your recipient's birthday is Tuesday May 15, you should send no later than Tuesday, May 1).

I'll put the "drop-dead" shipping date in your recipient information email, but the sooner you can send the better; nobody hates getting an early birthday present, but a late one is kind of lame.

In order to give people with January birthdays a fair shot, the official gifting period will run from February 14, 2012 through February 14, 2013. So, if you want to participate, but your birthday is, say, tomorrow, don't worry, you'll still get a gift (it'll just be a bit of a wait...)

As with Secret Santa, it would be cool to keep a running log of peoples' gifts and guesses, so please post in this thread with pictures, guesses of who sent it, and thanks to your Elephant. By posting here, it’ll be easier to keep track of who has received their packages. And for those who can’t guess their Elephant correctly, I’ll reveal all in one year, in February 2013.

The minimum amount to spend is $10 (US).

There is a minimum, but no maximum. If you want to shower someone with gifts, that’s awesome, but just make sure you’re prepared to possibly receive a gift from someone who can only afford $10. And however much you spend, please be considerate and not send anything that could be deemed offensive.

Worst case scenario

If you can’t send your recipient a gift, please, please, please contact me as soon as possible.

By signing up, you are expected to send something. If you feel you can’t live up to your end of the bargain, please don’t sign up. As I understand, we haven't had major problems with Secret Santas sending gifts; however, this event is running over the course of a year, and I know circumstances can change a lot in that time. If something happens after you’ve signed up and you are unable to fulfill your duties as a Birthday Elephant, please contact me as soon as you know that you won’t be able to send a gift so that an alternate Elephant can make sure your recipient gets a gift.

Again: please, please, please contact me as soon as you can if something goes off the rails and you can't send a gift. I plan to make sure every participant gets a gift one way or another so please try to be respectful of everyone else. For anyone that chooses to not send something and doesn’t work it out beforehand, you’ll be banned from future Birthday Elephants, you’ll receive appropriate feedback in the Feedback Forum, and you may be unexpectedly overtaken on the street one day by a mob of feral groundhogs riding mutant war lobsters, which is a most psychologically damaging experience, I promise you.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here or pm me if you need to. Thanks in advance to everyone interested in bringing birthday surprises to their fellow 'Versers (and hopefully making this crazy experiment a success)!

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, cool plan, but I see a few problems. I'll use me as an example.

I just had a birthday. The fact that I have to wait a whole year to get something isn't a big deal. The fact that it's a year from the sign up date. Minimate wave 50 hasn't been announced yet, but it will probably be out by next December. I can't put stuff on my list that doesn't exist. Likewise, I'm not going to avoid buying wave 44 for an entire year, just on the off chance that I might get it. Something needs to be done to address this issue, like maybe a wish list as little as 2 weeks ahead. (I know me not buying stuff in a whole month is nearly impossible)

Secondly, is this an annual thing or permanent? Will we have our elephants every year from here on out, or do we re-apply next January?

I do see this being a better use for the various birthday threads though. Still, unlike the Santas which are a tried and true system, I see this one having kinks to work out.

It's the trial run for this, so there will be some on-the-fly adjustment, certainly. As far as the wait time is concerned, participants can send an updated wish list (or even easier, include a link to a wish list here on the board, if you happen have one). I'll send along any updated lists to your elephant up to one month before your birthday. I think two weeks out is cutting it a little too close, especially for international members.

I'd like it to be a permanent fixture, but I'd like to see how it goes this year. If everything goes smoothly, and everyone who participates this year enjoys it, I don't see any reason it won't be back.

Edited by Lobsterman

LOL at BHM's user title. Not familiar with the signature. Is that Yul Brynner? Not a recruitment scene from the Magnificent Seven, is it?

To answer your question with another question, despite the fact that it is not truly a question to begin with--". . .I'm sorry?" Don't know if this helps, but I plan on stopping at 9,999 and retiring membership at that time :lol: I wish the damn post counts would just go away. Or that you, Groundhog, or TM2 would stop being slackers and pass me by.

As for the birthday idea, sounds like it could be fun Lobster. But honestly, I'll probably pass on the idea just because with all the other things going on, I'm sure I would forget about it when the time came :pinch:

Edited by karamazov80

To answer your question with another question, despite the fact that it is not truly a question to begin with--". . .I'm sorry?" Don't know if this helps, but I plan on stopping at 9,999 and retiring membership at that time :lol: I wish the damn post counts would just go away. Or that you, Groundhog, or TM2 would stop being slackers and pass me by.

Huh, I never realized just how few people have posted as much as the top few people have. It's a good thing they've all been quality posts...:whistling:

And as to the birthday club, I think it's a good idea, but probably won't be for everybody. Just like Secret Santa.

I like them. They're like little tickers counting off my nuggets of wisdom.

And I really like the birthday idea, but apparently we need to fix it so BHM gets his way, or he may throw tapioca at us all. Either way, count me in, Lobby.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go pass more wisdom. :P

Sounds really cool! my birthday's on January though, I'll probably go nuts waiting a full year for my elephant to get moving.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go pass more wisdom.

:sick:

(Yeah, classy as hell :wacko: )

Sounds really cool! my birthday's on January though, I'll probably go nuts waiting a full year for my elephant to get moving.

Look at it this way: you have to wait until January for your next birthday no matter what; this way you can bring a little birthday joy to someone else while you wait! :)

• 1 month later...

It looks like I am the first recipient! My Birthday Elephant sent me Thor on DVD (which I have wanted for a while now) and an awesome custom figure!

Red Skull from Old Man Logan

redskull1.jpg

redskull2.jpg

I freaking love this custom!! Thank you so much, MiniJeff!! This makes turning 30 on Tuesday a lot easier. :)