UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

ReWatching The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes

nate_studio

so i just thought id post that i went to wondercon today and got to watch episode one of Avengers season 2, it was amazing :D i wont spoil it for anyone but it sets a great tone for the season to come :D

also ultimate spiderman is...well...its just the best spiderman show ever other then spectacular :D

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow lots of big grins there. Good to hear season 2 is off to a good start and that Ultimate Spider-Man will be better than MTV Spider-Man. I can't wait to watch those shows. And thank you for not spoiling anything! But could you just tell me if they start off the new season in the new costumes or if that will come later?

Any thoughts on episode 17 from anyone? I'll be adding episode 18 tomorrow.

I spent like 20 minutes composing this nice long post about the episode and Kang and my theories about what the event could be that Kang is so concerned about... but there was a connection hiccup when I hit post and "poof" into the ether it went.

sigh

Wow lots of big grins there. Good to hear season 2 is off to a good start and that Ultimate Spider-Man will be better than MTV Spider-Man. I can't wait to watch those shows. And thank you for not spoiling anything! But could you just tell me if they start off the new season in the new costumes or if that will come later?

Any thoughts on episode 17 from anyone? I'll be adding episode 18 tomorrow.

Ultimate spiderman is so much better that you'll forget the MTV one exsisted.

also from what i could tell, Hulk and cap start out in new uniforms but cap still is missing his shield, though they hint at a new one, ironman seems to be in an older fashioned suit of armor, im assuming since his is not fully repaired (wont tell you why) but it could have just been my way of perceiving it. Everyone else was in standard looks...though i did notice Thor was not in the episode, neither was Hank but there is an explanation for that

Not spoiling anything, a picture of both teams around a meeting table has been circulating on line for a while now.

My Kang/Cap/Future catastrophe theories:

Cap is catching the historical blame for something his Skrull doppelganger will do.

Or when Cap and Von Strucker grab the Cosmic Cube, something did happen. Somehow they changed the past and both Bucky and the Red Skull survive the rocket explosion. One or both of them cause the disaster Kang is trying to avert.

You guys talking about the beginning of season 2 really makes me realize I don't remember how season 1 ended. But we'll rewatch it all soon enough.

S1:E18 - Come the Conqueror

Kang's invasion of Earth begins in earnest! A fleet of ships from the future unleashes war on the planet, and the Avengers are helpless to stop it.

One of my favorite things about this episode is how Cap really steps up and starts giving orders. He's also the one who yells "Avengers, assemble!" in this episode and it's awesome. I also like how Cap is the one to declare this a war and say that they need an army. It just shows his character really well. This guy was made from war, and he knows one when he sees one.

Unfortunately, the Avengers make a really, really bad call and create their army from Ultrons. Ant-Man teaches them violence and they are good at it. Foreshadowing.

I guess the pro and con with this episode is that it's almost entirely action. The last ep was the initial confrontation with Kang, and the next ep is their second confrontation with Kang. This ep was just them fighting Kang's robots and looking for Kang. On the other hand, them fighting Kang's robots was great. The animation was expertly done and every few seconds I'd keep thinking "yeah, that's why Thor is so awesome. Oh man, Hawkeye is so cool. Oh yeah, Ant-Man is so powerful" and that's fun. It just doesn't leave me a whole lot to write about. Every character gets a few chances to shine, whether it's Wasp finding 'bigger stingers' or Giant-Man tackling the giant robot. Well, I guess that's not entirely true...

Iron Man is shown at what may be his weakest point. He's unfocused, he's angry, and he can't solve the problem he's trying to solve. Cap has basically taken over command, leaving Tony to focus his energy on finding Kang. Eventually he does, but this really isn't his best episode.

Oh and Black Panther (understandably) returns to Wakanda, but before that he was doing pretty good in the fight.

Favorite moment: Hawkeye having to save the Hulk.

Edited by nate_studio

Wow, do we ever suck. We fell way behind guys.

17 The Man Who Stole Tomorrow.

Honestly my favorite thing about this episode was the Hulk. He just shone through, working together with the team. The entire cast works together in this one, and it shows. But I love how Hulk just stealthily walks up behind Kang in the mansion. Not roaring, Kang doesn't hear him. Then BOOM through the wall he goes. Him and Hawkeye hanging out, distracting Kang for Panther to get behind. It was a nice touch.

I, too, enjoyed the past/future debate. Cap and ironman have some good dichotomy, and I think this incident really put Tony in his place, It also added a layer of doubt to Cap, in a world where he doesn't belong, he now fears he may destroy it.

Also, the foreshadowing with Ultron was amazing and frightening. When Hank said "Uncorruptable" I almost shuddered. Jan felt it too with her comment.

18 Come the Conqueror.

This episode is just so action packed. You'd think there wouldn't be much here, but there is. Thor and Hulk having a little robot smashing contest, Jan finding "bigger stingers". Though I do have to wonder who she was talking to with her turned head and "There's more heading for the bridge!" Um, Jan? Are you talking to yourself? The T'Challa moment was very sad. He didn't want to abandon his friends, nor his people. You could hear the sadness in his voice. kudos to the VAs in this episode. I love Hawkeye and Hulk again. Those two are such an awesome pair. :P

But yeah. The honeymoon is over between Tony and cap, I think.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I think over all, this series makes me wonder what the early adventures of the 616 Avengers would have been like if the Hulk had staid. EMH Hulk is actually starting to enjoy working with a team, and the team is getting more and more comfortable with him. It's fun to watch.

Ironically this part of the story comes from Kurt Busiek's last story in Avengers v3. Kurt essentially had Kang decide to for go his usual manipulations and "me vs the whole team" approach to trying to defeat the Avengers and just shows up with his army and his giant sword-ship and invades their time. Under similar excuses of "saving the future" Kang hits Earth hard and briefly takes the planet, forcing Wasp, Avengers chairman at the time, to sign the surrend. Cap, whoes Quinjet full of Avengers Kang thought he had shot down to their deaths, rallys the remaining team, and of course Kang is defeated.

The Story should have rocked, and parts of it did. But there were several problems with Marvel policy at the time that hampered it, and some creative problems. Back in the early 2000's Marvel was a house of ideas divided. Despite the success of the X-Men and Spider-Man movies, the walls Marvel had errected in preparation for sale were still up. Yeah, you heard right. Marvel was so in the hole moneywise that they were really considering selling off their properties in peices- the Spider-titles, the X-Books, and then the Avengers/FF and the rest. To better facilitate that, they stopped crossing over between groups for the most part... and it got a little ridiculous at times. The High Evolutionary shut down all mutant powers on Earth... except Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Justice, or FIrestar who were all active Avengers and the event was never mentioned. Nor was the time that a confrontation with the Shadow King shut down every Psi mutant on earth- Justice was uneffected. So when Busiek has Kang kill millions by destroying Washington DC, and he mentions the X-men helping with planetary defense, events in the Avengers were not mentioned in any other titles... none. Kind of hard to really get into an invasion story that only happens in one book.

Creativly the story starts with Alan Davis on art chores. But for some reason, he leaves about a third of the way through. The guy who picked up the penciling wasn't horrible, but he wasn't Alan Davis so it was a HUGE let down. And then there's just that the story was just so darn long. I love me some sweeping Avengers epics, but it was getting old by the end.

I think my favorite moment was the feeling of "this will not end well" when they "teach Ultron the concept of violence."

S1:E19 - The Kang Dynasty

Kang the Conqueror's takeover of Earth is well underway, and the Avengers launch a last-ditch offensive to stop the time traveler's plans.

Really busy week and lots of late nights. I just now watched this episode.

We get the Avengers in their second mission-specific gear- Yay outer space! If that wasn't enough, we get the Avengers space-suited up and walking in slo-mo. A little cheese, but no real complaints.

So the team heads to space to fight Kang. I'm pretty sure that's about as intricate as their plan was. They don't really seem equipped for much (other than those snazzy space suits) and really don't know what they are diving head first in to. They fight their way through the atmosphere and into Kang's ship and the loose plan just keeps falling apart. Thor was lost pretty early on and Iron Man and Wasp got separated from the rest of the team. Cap, Hulk, Hawkeye and Ant-Man have the most direct path on the ship and a few fight scenes later get their confrontation with Kang. Ant-Man gets knocked unconscious (maybe just so he wouldn't complain about violence for the next few minutes) and the others are over powered by Kang. That is until Iron Man and Wasp come in with a few game changers.

First up is Iron Man. Now, I mentioned that the last episode was him at his worst, but here Tony is back to his old self and has used his brilliant mind to learn Kang's tech well enough to teach it to Ultron who can actually use it.

Wasp comes in a few minutes later with some startling news - Kang is really just doing all of this conquering for a girl. Somehow, his damaged timeline caused his love to start dying, so his only hope for her is to repair the timeline. It's a good thing Wasp was the one to discover her because I think she's the only one who would have used that knowledge to stop the invasion (Ant-Man would have just wanted to study her, Hawkeye would try to seduce her, Hulk would smash her, etc). Well, she hoped it would stop the invasion, but when Kang was still too upset, Cap just smashed his face in with his shield. Whatever works, right?

At the end we get too really nice scenes. First is Ant-Man and Mr. Fantastic's cameo studying that Princess in her strange state of partial-existance with Ultron lurking forebodingly in the background. It's probably subtle if you're a kid and don't realize that Ultron is about to go nuts in another couple episodes and try to kill everyone. If you do realize the threat, then it's a little haunting. Second is another nice moment between Iron Man and Captain America tying back in to their debate a few episodes ago about past vs future. Oh and Kang mentions that Cap is still responsible for horrible amounts of death and destruction.

As always, I'm impressed with the fight sequences and that they are able to highlight each character and give them their turn to shine without making it too obvious. This is really hard to do with such a large cast, but they always pull it off well and each character seems like a real person and has specific reactions to things.

Favorite moment: Thor deflecting Kang's super weapon. Awesome.

It's a nice showdown with Kang. Snazzy red and silver space armors. Gosh... and the last Ultron standing happens to be #5... well that's one way to get make sure they start off fighting Ultron 5 later.

Not much else to say that you didn't cover, Nate. The plan pretty much seemed to be just get on Kang's ship and find a way to shut him down. Great plan, excited to be a part of it.

No this was just an excuse for 20 mins of well animated fight scene, and a pretty one at that. Just a fun episode.

Key difference between 616 Kang and EMH Kang... when comics Kang was given a choice whether to surely save Ravonna or kill the Avengers, comics Kang doubled down on killing. His pride and drive would not allow Kang to surrender to the Avengers, or accept that their primitive minds could do something he could not (save Ravonna). EMH Kang actually seems to care more about Ravonna than conquest, a which makes him much more noble than his counterpart.

Sorry. Watched this but forgot to post this.

For me the strongest part of this arc is that amidst all this action they still manage to foreshadow. All the Ultrons, teaching him the concept of violence, and there's only one left afterwords. They're just amazing bright spots.

Again Wasp saves the day here. She's never one to pull a punch ("Hulk, smash him.") but she's usually the coolest head on the team next to BP. She saved the day in what would have been an ugly and probably lethal showdown. I also liked that for however brief a moment Ultron was part of the team.

And yes, Wasp in space makes me happy.

Okay, here we go.

E:20 Casket of Ancient Winters.

This is possibly my favorite episode from the series. I love Norse mythology, and this one packs it in spades, but is so subtle. Malekith is not a true Norse lgend, but actually a Marvel creation. But he flows so seamlessly with the story that he could easily fall into mythology and no one world notice.

This episodes starts out with fighting Radioactive Man, a great villain. Thor, Ironman and BP are an unlikely team, but work well together, mainly due to BP uniting them. The fight is great and I love the banter between the three of them, and the animation on RM.

Also, let me get this out of the way, because we all know it's coming.

4dc9814beaf8d.jpg

Dear Marvel,

I love you.

Sincerly,

--Sam

Yeah, that was great. And as amazing as the fan service was (and it was amazing) I almost liked Hulk swimming and Hawkeye's farmer's tan better. Clint's "We need to move someplace warmer. Like the West Coast." made me giggle. And Hulk being frozen in the pool was hilarious. Wasp's assertion at the end that she took all the dark elf spirits down single handedly made me smile as well. The F4 showing up again was also good, as well as Hank and Ultron working together.

Which brings up a great point. This episode focuses on what this show does best: Teamwork. Jan and Clint are the ones that can best deal with the Hulk, so it's good that they're hanging out together. Hank is a bit of an egghead/loner, but he's playing with his best robot friend Ultron. Cap is kinda on his own because no one is close to him, as he is a man out of time. And Thor, BP and Ironman all have nothing in common, but their powers compliment eachother, even if their personalities don't. Like BP said, science and mysticism work together. He's the link between Tony's brainy stubbornness, and Thor's magic hard headdedness.

But this episode really sets up for the season finale, what with Malekith turning the casket over to Amora, and Thor's inability to return home.

But honestly, the one thing I brought away from this was the crying shame that we don't have EMH Minimates. Again. :/

S1:E20 - The Casket of Ancient Winters

On the hottest day of the year, an ancient artifact is found and a cold wind blows.

Ah yes, we finally get to TM2's favorite episode... and I'm sure it's the Norse mythology that really grabbed your attention here and not Ms. Janet Van Bikini.

shot12.jpg

Anyway, this episode gives us two villains - one made of science and the other made of magic. This gives a perfect opportunity to explore the debate between Iron Man and Thor on which is better than the other. This has been touched on pretty lightly in previous episodes... mostly just little comments from Thor about how dangerous science is or from Iron Man about how crazy magic is. Luckily, by the end of the episode (and with some convenient help from Black Panther) they start to understand that the world of science and the world of magic can co-exist and even benefit from each other.

Now that all the Kang business is finished, we get back to the bigger plot of Loki being up to something. We're introduced to a new villain who is a freaky dark elf that is half-living and half-dead or whatever. Loki hires this dude to find the Casket of Ancient Winters, but when he's supposed to hand it over, he (gasp) betrays Enchantress! Oh villains. You just cannot trust them. It's funny to me, though, how much of Norse mythology revolves around cold things. Frost Giants, ancient winters, I guess you use what you know.

So most of the team stays behind to save New York from the snow monsters (screw the rest of the world) while Thor, Iron Man and Black Panther go track down Malekith (or whatever his name was). A few nice action scenes later and the trio are able to use the powers of teamwork and understanding to defeat the dark elf. Too bad they forgot that Enchantress was still there to steal the Casket away from them. That was pretty funny, actually. The good guys aren't always the ones on top.

But more importantly - why does Clint have a farmers tan? Yes, it's funny, but it would have also been funny if it actually matched the costume he wears all the time. Seriously, this guy always has one arm out and one arm covered, but the tan lines we're shown make it look like he always wears a t-shirt.

Oh and it was cool getting more Fantastic 4 cameos and a reference to the West Coast Avengers.

Favorite moment: Janet, Clint and Hulk totally bailing on the rest of the team to relax by the pool.

Least favorite moment: Cap shieldboarding. Really? Does that seem like something he would do?

Edited by nate_studio

Actually Cap shield boarding did seem fairly natural to me.

FINALLY! I'm not one to talk, but it's about time this episode got some discussion. It's one of my favorites. It also doesn't help that I see a bikini-clad Jan every time I look at my desktop. :wub:

I loved "You left Hulk in the pool. It froze!"

Well we start off with Dr. Chen Lu- the infamous Radioactive Man. Dr. Lu is a long time Thor and Avengers foe, and in the 616 R-Man is a traditional mainstay of the Masters of Evil from its earliest incarnation. The question is how villianous is 616 Dr. Lu? Well on some level, he's probably the most "nobel" of the Masters. Before empowering himself, Dr. Lu was the far east's leading experts on the effects of radiation on the human body. With super-powered people popping up in the west, Chen's communist masters want a champion of their own, and Lu volunteers to be that champion. Dr. Lu turns his body into a living nuclear reactor, granting him super strength, the ability to generate and direct vast ammounts of heat and radiation (and absorb the same), and most importantly the ability to create forcefields so powerful they can deflect Thor's hammer. The newly minted Radioactive Man challenges Thor at his governments behalf, and looses. The Chinese abandon Lu for his failure, and he becomes a career criminal, looking mostly for revenge for past defeats, or cash for further his ongoing research. But he always saw himself as a hero of the Chinese people, and keeps trying to get back there to his governments good graces. He's very much willing to risk others lives for his research, but he's generally trying to take over the world for himself. But after getting kicked around the hench-villain circuit for a while, Lu enthusiastically joins Abner Jenkins' Thunderbolts in hopes of proving to the world his desire to reform. He makes friends with Songbird, and stays with the team until Osborn deported Dr. Lu at the begining of Norman's "Dark Riegn". This suits the Radioactive Man just fine, as he now serves on China's own super team.

But the main thrust of this episode is the Casket of Anceint Winters. Much of this story is lifted striaght from Walt Simonson's Thor run. (which if you haven't read, you should) Malekith the Accursed pursued the Casket in allience with Loki in the 616 too. And as in EMH, Malekith betrays him, but to aide the Fire Lord Surtur. It's Surtur's fire demons that invade New York with a smattering of Dark Elves. The Avengers, the FF, the US Armed Forces, and everyone else that could help try to repel the evil hordes, while Thor takes the fight to Malekith. Good times. Of course after that, things go sideways, as the Beyonder gets invloved, which thankfully didn't happen here. (it's not as bad as as the big B's involvement in other titles during the infamous Secret Wars II, cause Simonson was at the top of his game. really go read it.)

A strong episode, and it well sets up the wonderful roller coaster that is the final five episodes of the season.

Hail Hydra!

On initial viewing, this was one of my least favorite episodes. On the 2nd time through, it's much better. Maria Hill is still an ice douche, and the action is still a bit confusing. But I love how Cap one again has his leadership asserted, not by himself, but by his actions. Calling Hulk a Hero.

And I will say that we got almost done with this episode and thought "Huh, the first Black Widow appearance without a grandiose ass shot." And then, 3 scenes from the end, "Yep, there it is." Strange. Also, what happened to her accent in that scene?

I love Hawkeye shooting Ant Man, and also his line of "Here I am to save the world."

S1:E21 - Hail, HYDRA!

HYDRA and AIM are waging war against one another in the streets of New York, and only one person knows why -- the Black Widow.

I'm not sure what you didn't like about this episode, TM2. Sure the animation was a little weird at times, but there's plenty of action - it's everybody against everybody - some great humor, great characterization, and we finally get that Black Widow traitor, double-agent, triple-agent thing resolved. Oh and there were actually two close-up butt shots of her - the one at the end, which you mentioned, and one much much earlier during her flashback explanation of what's going on with HYDRA. You just have to keep a better eye out for the butts, man. And I'm pretty sure she spoke with a Russian accent only when around HYDRA agents. The rest of the time it waas just a typical American accent.

Anyway, we finally get the explanation of what she's been up to, who she's working for, and why she framed Hawkeye. She has to let the heroes know so they have some kind of clue what they're up against here. Again, though, the Avengers go in ready for action and not much else. Seriously, do they ever have a strategy when they go for battle?

Well, the result is awesome and this episode is just filled with action as everybody scrambles for the Cosmic Cube. Of course, with this show it's never just action. We get plenty of little character moments throughout that keep us loving these guys. Whether it's Cap giving support to his teammates, Iron Man saying bad things about Fury under his breath, Ant-Man opposing violence, Hawkeye being awesome, Hulk flying off the handle, or whatever else, this show does such a great job of giving everyone a solid personality. And that was pretty awesome when Hawkeye shot Ant-Man on an arrow. I know he did it in a comic and it was also one of Hawkeye's accessories in Marvel Legends.

In the end, the Avengers win the day, though not without some consequences. Maria Hill wants the heroes to register themselves and isn't going to just let them slide like Fury did. Also there's the whole Cosmic Cube debacle. Both Cap and Strucker touched it at the same time. Did Cap's good cancel out Strucker's evil? Did Cap's guilt bring Bucky back from the dead? Is this what Kang was warning everyone about? What's going on? And where's Nick Fury?

Favorite moment: There are a lot of great moments in this one, but the top for me has to be Cap calling Hulk a hero.

I suspect Wasp not personally saving the day probably had something to do with TM2 displeasure. Just a guess.

Oh so much happened, it's hard to believe it was only one episode. Plan? We don't need no stinking plan, we're the Avengers! And that's yet to really bite them on the backside yet... but next episode it will a couple of times. But that's not till later.

Figured what was going on with Widow back in Gamma World. Was sure of it when Fury got so very upset that the Avengers were fighting Hydra. I mean really, why else would he care how many Hydra ops the team busted unless Fury had an op of his own going on. 'Tasha is russian and raised (at least she is in the 616), but she's a trained espionage agent fluent in multiple languages so dropping her accent really wouldn't be that big a deal. (actually "Natasha Romanoff" is an anglocanized version of her russian name Natalia Romanova)

As iconic and cool as it was for Hawkeye to do the "Ant-Man arrow" shot... I think (and this is off the top of my head so I may well be wrong) this is the only time Hank has been the Ant-Man in question. Usually, it's Scott Lang, the second Ant-Man, getting shot from the bow.

Oh the wonderous Deus-Ex-Machina that is the Cosmic Cube. It should be renamed the "Plot-Device"... and I mean that with love. What did Cap and the Baron accomplish? I've said before, I think Cap wanted to save Bucky, Von Strucker was trying to rewrite history to Hydra won the war... what they did is save Bucky from death, but he became the Winter Soldier, and the Skull somehow also survived the explosion and will soon return to restore Hydra to it's wartime glory. Jury is stil out on whether the cube incident is that change Cap makes that bring Kang here, or if it's the actions of... well, we'll talk more about that later too.

Torn between Cap calling Hulk a hero, or the Hawkeye/Ant-Man impossible shot as favorite momment.

The Hulk/Cap dialogue was great and based on what ive seen in the trailers, it looks like cap and hulk will keep up this relationship in the film, so im happy for that.

Hawkeye shooting Pym was my second favorite scene, my first favorite scene was the Winter Solider teaser ;)

I haven't started watching season 2 yet, but hopefully Winter Soldier comes in to play soon!

S1:E22 - Ultron-5

Ant-Man has had enough of the violence. He wants to find a better way to bring peace and order to the world.

We start of with maybe one of the lamest groups of villains and end with one of the coolest adversaries the Avengers will face ... Ultron. He's kind of like if Jarvis turned evil, or if Alfred tried to kill Batman. Ultron is such a scary villain because he knows the Avengers. He fought along side them. He was built by one of them. And he wants them dead. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

We first find the team fighting the Serpent Society. These guys aren't a huge threat, but serve more as a springboard for a couple of things to happen. The first is Ant-Man trying to stop the fighting. He worked with some of these villains in the Big House and was hoping he could talk to them. When they refuse to listen, Hawkeye takes a 'bullet' for Ant-Man which is awesome because Hawkeye's one of the least bullet-proof heroes on the team. I know it was some kind of energy blast that was in no way meant to be a bullet, but I'm using that term for the sake of easy conversation. Hawkeye steps up his awesome a minute later when he gets dragged down in to the sewer by one of the snakes and then it's the snake who ends up running away from him, injured shoulder and all. Good ol' Clint.

But once the fight is over, Ant-Man realizes he's not on the same path as the Avengers (punch the villains!) and quits the team. That's when things start getting crazy. As Hank is working on Ultron and trying to dissect what is wrong with the Avengers' plan (punch the villains!) he realizes that maybe humanity can't be saved. Ultron takes this to mean that humanity should be destroyed in order to achieve peace. He then sets his plan in motion.

Some other highlights for this episode include:

Thor asks Iron Man for his help in returning to Asgard. The two have had their differences and debates, but when Thor can't return home, he puts all that aside and asks for help.

Wasp turning in to Giant-Woman (or something). Can she do that? How long has she been able to do that? Will TM2 say she's a mutant again? Her eyes did the same glow-effect that Hank's did earlier in the episode, so it seems like Pym particles are in play.

HULK SMASH ULTRON!!

Hank having to destroy his own failed creation. Poor guy's got some serious guilt problems, but knows what has to be done. But did he destroy everything in time?

Funniest moment: Thor's observation about just how many monkeys the fight.

Miry will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe hank gave jan some growth serum as an anniversery present, though it was later revealed that this was to turn her into the failsafe weapon for the skrull invasion and it led to her death