UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Prometheus

youbastards

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JP, I think a lot of those questions weren't answered. Some I don't think could be answered without more involvement from the Engineers, but this was a story about humans searching for their creators, so that wouldn't have fit. Frustrating, yes. Hopefully in a sequel some of that will be explained.

Like Kamsm8, I thought that humans made the drawings based on what what they were told by Engineer emissaries. And consider the theme of creation- even their equipment is operated by an act of creation, so it would be almost more strange for them to just leave behind a little disc drive full of maps. Using creative art as a means of information sharing seems to fit their M.O.

Also, it was never stated what killed the Engineers. There is an assumption that some kind of goo-monster killed them, but I don't think that's the case. Without raptor DNA, it's almost certain that the monsters can't open doors.

I think if there is a sequel, it almost certainly have to address why (apparently) no other Engineers came to LV-223 to see what happened.

So I don't see those so much as plot problems as questions unanswered. :confused:

Thanks Turtle. I'll accept those as open ended questions to be addressed in a sequel.

I guess the "creation" symbolism is lost on me. Explain this: Why did the black goo ooze out of the containers? I don't get it. They said they disturbed the atmosphere but the atmosphere was already Earth like. Where did the worms come from? Did they spontaneously get created by the black goo? How? I thought it needed DNA to morph into a creature? Otherwise, why did the guy at the beginning kill himself with goo? And why didn't worms come out of all the other containers that oozed open?

Why did David kill "what's his name main character" with a dot of black goo? What was the purpose? If Weyland wanted to test a medical theory, he would have brought another half dead old man to the planet with him as a test subject, not give test treatment to a healthy adult male in the prime of his life. You don't test cancer drugs on healthy people.

Really, taking your helmet off? That is where the movie lost me. I could see "main man" doing it but everyone else? It's stupid beyond stupid. The air could easily be contaminated with an alien organism that can't be detected by portable 2089 technology. The biologist doesn't know that?

Hey, I really enjoyed the movie, so thank YOU for giving me a chance to talk about it. I think my wife is kind of getting sick of hearing me ramble on about it. :unsure: Of course, anyone at any point is welcome to tell me to shut my yap about this.

I just figured they were affected by the black goo, and the black goo "woke up" when more people came around. Two Engineers ran into the urn room. One of the details I want to watch again for is the mealworms. I can't recall how many there were, but I think there were two cobra-huggers. The scarifice/rebirth cycle in a microcosm? The Engineers' creative desire being twisted into the prototype of the ultimate force of destruction and self-preservation? I don't know.

David poisoning Holloway... very interesting. I think to some extent David needed to find out what the goo did and how it affected people and it was clear that David had developed a unique interest in Shaw... anyway, YOU may not test cancer drugs on healthy HUMANS, but we humans certainly test all kinds of drugs and products on healthy animals. In fact, if they're not healthy, the experiment loses its control. Throughout their conversations, Holloway openly treats David as lesser. David plays along, but when its his turn, he treats Holloway the same, with much more drastic consequences.

Yeah the helmet thing was stupid. All of these "scientists" are way too quick to take off those masks. Way too many variables aside from "breathable air." The concept I think was that all of these people are ready to take the leap of faith, to accept the risk. But it felt awkward. They all should have known better (even if it didn't actually have any repercussions, aside from David's lie, which only required Holloway removing his helmet).

Edited by Turtle

Regarding the David goo scene:

This was one of my favorite scenes of the movie, but anyways, when David asks why he was created, and Holloway replies, "because we could", David dabs the goo finger in the drink to see what entails, "because he can".

Thanks Turtle.

I figured the meal worms came from the goo but your post got me thinking...did we not see drops of sweat fall from the scientists into the goo before the meal worms scene? Maybe that "created" the meal worms.Seriously, people in 2089 need to work on their Asimov Laws for robots.

Thanks Turtle.

I figured the meal worms came from the goo but your post got me thinking...did we not see drops of sweat fall from the scientists into the goo before the meal worms scene? Maybe that "created" the meal worms.Seriously, people in 2089 need to work on their Asimov Laws for robots.

Thanks Turtle.

Concerning the robots...

Potential Spoilers for Prometheus, Alien and Aliens.

This is addressed later in Aliens when Ripley meets Bishop and he states at least two of the laws to her. Apparently the laws hadn't been incorporated into the androids until models later than whatever Ash was.