UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Marvel Minimates Series 45/TRU: Avengers Movie

luke314pi

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ten bucks says we get a movie Bruce Banner with the next Hulk movie.

yeah, but it’ll be of the next guy and thereby as useless The Hulk Banner is to an Avengers display.

(and seriously, at this point if they just settle on Ruffalo who was no better or worse then Norton or Bana it’ll just be sad. New Banner every movie or GTFO Marvel Studios!)

I'm a little sad that we didn't get Banner this time around, but I think we're going to have plenty of chances in the future judging by any one scene with the Hulk did more to remind people why they love the character than the entirety of the other two movies; they're already talking about a solo film with Ruffalo so I think our chances are good. As for the Other and "Man #1", I'd say they're locks at some point in the future. Great designs on both!

The TRU wave finally popped up last Friday at my local store and I picked up Hawkeye/Widow and Loki/Fury. Hawkeye's just great and Widow manages to improve on the IM 2 version with some awesome new holsters. Loki is very cool as well and I especially like his golden bracelets. Even Fury is nice with a brand new coat; I was expecting him to be too close to the IM 2 release but I think they've both got strengths. I like the chest detail, holster and rocket launcher with this one but like the coat/sleeves and likeness on the Battle Tactics version. I would have probably picked up Cap/Thor as well but the ones I saw had some of the shiny paint scratched off the shield; I don't mind waiting for the DM case anyway, especially since Iron Man and Hulk were already gone.

Anyone who collect the Halo 'mates like the Chitauri as kind of background aliens? I'm surprised more people aren't excited for that option.

Ten bucks says we get a movie Bruce Banner with the next Hulk movie.

yeah, but it’ll be of the next guy and thereby as useless The Hulk Banner is to an Avengers display.

(and seriously, at this point if they just settle on Ruffalo who was no better or worse then Norton or Bana it’ll just be sad. New Banner every movie or GTFO Marvel Studios!)

I must have hit the wrong button, but I wanted to add that Ruffalo is signed for 7 movies, so if we get a movie Banner, it should be him.

I must have hit the wrong button, but I wanted to add that Ruffalo is signed for 7 movies, so if we get a movie Banner, it should be him.

SEVEN?! Wow, someone’s WAAAAAAY over estimating the appeal of the Hulk. “People didn’t really respond to Hulk the first time... or the second time... and hell, we’re sort of lying to ourselves Hulk had any draw in a movie most people probably took as Iron Man 3 and some other guys... but clearly, the world is DEMANDING SIX MORE HULK MOVIES!”

(although I assume since he left with Stark at the end two of those movies are Avengers Sequels and four Iron Man cameos, asking Tony if he just wants to hang, oh he’s working? okay, maybe later...)

I take him signing for more movies is that he'll be in different non-Hulk movies as Banner (kinda like how Samuel Jackson signed on for more than one movie, but there's no Nick Fury movie planned).

My biggest complaint about the figures is that the Chitauri have 6 fingers in the movie and the Minimates clearly don't. There's clear shots inthe movie showing that fact and yet DST totally screwed it up. Shame on them for ruining what could have been an amazing release of movie Miniamtes.

My biggest complaint about the figures is that the Chitauri have 6 fingers in the movie and the Minimates clearly don't. There's clear shots inthe movie showing that fact and yet DST totally screwed it up. Shame on them for ruining what could have been an amazing release of movie Miniamtes.

I agree, that is total Bull-Chit!

I think that's the Faustian deal all of them but RDJ have signed, groundhog. Which is kinda cool when it's Coulson or Fury, but I'm not sure how Banner cameos would be worked into different stories.

SEVEN?! Wow, someone’s WAAAAAAY over estimating the appeal of the Hulk. “People didn’t really respond to Hulk the first time... or the second time... and hell, we’re sort of lying to ourselves Hulk had any draw in a movie most people probably took as Iron Man 3 and some other guys... but clearly, the world is DEMANDING SIX MORE HULK MOVIES!”

(although I assume since he left with Stark at the end two of those movies are Avengers Sequels and four Iron Man cameos, asking Tony if he just wants to hang, oh he’s working? okay, maybe later...)

Ruffalo is indeed signed to play Banner for 6 more movies according to this article The future of The Avengers franchise. So it's a good bet we'll see him Minimated eventually, assuming we get mates for future Hulk/Avengers movies of course.

Disney/Marvel is banking on the fact that "The Avengers" Hulk is more of a heroic character than he was in his previous movies, and will be more accessible to audiences (and by audiences I mean kids because, lets be honest...it's Disney ;)). The fact that they are depicting the Hulk as "Banner-controllable" and even showing him capable of speaking, goes a long way to make him more of a kid-friendly, comic book hero as opposed to a mindless monster. The two Hulk movies were (IMO) geared toward the hardcore comic book fans and weren't going to get non-fans into the character the way this version of the Hulk can.

So it's a good bet we'll see him Minimated eventually, assuming we get mates for future Hulk... movies of course.

This is what I read in your statement. A Hulk movie that was based around Maestro would be perfect. I know it's not what you meant, but it's what my fanboy mind read.

I think that's the Faustian deal all of them but RDJ have signed, groundhog. Which is kinda cool when it's Coulson or Fury, but I'm not sure how Banner cameos would be worked into different stories.

As a capable scientist, and given how

Stark tower is apparently now Avengers Tower

, I can see him easily making a cameo in IM3, and possibly in Cap or Thor sequels. And the after-credit scenes don't necessarily have anything to do with the main movie, like the IM2 build-in to Thor. Kind of crazy to think that Samuel L. Jackson's Fury has already appeared in 5 movies.

I'm sure if we'd gotten reference in time, we would have made the leader Loki dealt with.

I've been calling him the Negotiator (does he have an official name?), and he would rock to have in minimate form. An unexpectedly creepy, subtle character there.

The character is called "The Other," and is played by Alexis Denisoff, who played Wesley on Buffy and Angel.

Rex

No kidding? That's awesome. Joss Whedon always looks out for his peeps. :D

As a capable scientist, and given how

Stark tower is apparently now Avengers Tower

, I can see him easily making a cameo in IM3, and possibly in Cap or Thor sequels. And the after-credit scenes don't necessarily have anything to do with the main movie, like the IM2 build-in to Thor. Kind of crazy to think that Samuel L. Jackson's Fury has already appeared in 5 movies.

True, but with

no pardon given, no real change of status for Banner, that still leaves him a man on the run, hiding from Ross and the non-SHIELD authorities.

I think that kinds of limits how he can appear in other movies, unless they decide to change that.

If they really wanted to make a truely kid friendly Hulk, they'd do the one thing they've been reluctant to do... go full on childish, third person speaking, gives everyone a nickname, 70's Hulk.

Edited by Mirymate

Like they did with Super Hero Squad Hulk, you're saying. It would definitely work. My nephew loves that big dumb green thing.

For reference, I do too, but that's mostly because he's genuinely funny.

Edited by The Geohound

Not quite that far, Geo, but yeah. A little more edge, anger, and suspision, like Hulk in the early Defenders where he was on the team, but not quite sure he liked or trusted them yet. But yeah, the dumb Hulk most of us grew up with and who most people think of when they think Hulk.

Ah, right. It's been so long since I've read any of that timeframe of Hulk that I just kind of automatically associate "dumb" Hulk with SHS now because I spend way more time watching that. Still, putting "dumb" Hulk (No, I don't like that. We'll call him Fun Hulk) in a movie of this kind would be more entertaining to me. I liked Hulk in Avengers, but Hulk with a sense of humor and giving people nicknames and making a few jokes here and there is just something I think I'd rather watch. If just one time he said "Hulk Don't Understand." I would have been perfectly happy, but contextually and with the pacing of the film, any time spent to just set up Hulk that way would have brought everything to a halt, so it's fine. Maybe next time or something.

Edited by The Geohound

I take him signing for more movies is that he'll be in different non-Hulk movies as Banner (kinda like how Samuel Jackson signed on for more than one movie, but there's no Nick Fury movie planned).

Actually, I think there IS a Nick Fury movie planned...

Nick Fury

The one shot I remember clearly is when Loki is speaking with The Other (who is Annihilus & is not a member of the Chitauri) & The Other has 6 fingers. I can't remember seeing anyone else with 6 fingers tho.

Or were you being sarcastic, Bro? :)

The one shot I remember clearly is when Loki is speaking with The Other (who is Annihilus & is not a member of the Chitauri) & The Other has 6 fingers.

Wait, are you being serious? Or are you just kidding? That would be disappointing if he WERE Annihilus and limited to such small role, and not even credited as such.

I've scoured a few TRUs in my area (I'm in Toronto), and other than the occasional random 1 or 2 boxes (not even series), I've never been able to see the TRU exclusives in store.

I'm not holding my breath for the Avengers wave (which is so sad that TRU and Speciality split chars)...

The TRU.ca website is no help either :(

Zach, out of curiosity I know the Avengers army-builder set that would have included Bruce Banner got cancelled, but can you tell us what would have been in it? Obviously lots of the Chitauri, but would they have just been the same as the wave 45 'mate or was there some variety?

No Loki's Army, it was a SHIELD assortment. Anyone seen the movie yet? Do you remember a bunch of different SHIELD Agent looks? Haven't seen it yet (Saturday!), curious to see what we would have made, whether the looks are terribly distinctive.

Not sure why they haven't been picked up by UK TRUs, but if they were, we would have to have additional testing done, yes. It may be a matter of quantities. How many are there?

If we're looking at international TRU's maybe you could look into why TRU Canada carries almost nothing when it comes to Minimates. The only things I've seen at TRU in the last few years are the Heralds boxset and Spider-Man Friends and Foes...

...What? That's just your TRU, right? Since I've been here, I've seen numerous reports for upcoming TRU shipments to Canada, and I thought people were buying them. Minijeff? Anyone? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah, right. It's been so long since I've read any of that timeframe of Hulk that I just kind of automatically associate "dumb" Hulk with SHS now because I spend way more time watching that. Still, putting "dumb" Hulk (No, I don't like that. We'll call him Fun Hulk) in a movie of this kind would be more entertaining to me. I liked Hulk in Avengers, but Hulk with a sense of humor and giving people nicknames and making a few jokes here and there is just something I think I'd rather watch. If just one time he said "Hulk Don't Understand." I would have been perfectly happy, but contextually and with the pacing of the film, any time spent to just set up Hulk that way would have brought everything to a halt, so it's fine. Maybe next time or something.

I agree about Fun Hulk as that's going to be the best way to sell the character as a 'hero' to audiences (and especially kids). Hulk's always been in kind of a weird place, like Wonder Woman, where people heavily recognize the character but his book has never been a titanic seller in the way you'd associate with someone who had a popular TV show in the 70's. I think Hulk's the breakout character with audiences because they're so used to the "tortured man controlling the terrible beast" idea that something like Hulk's biggest line seems so refreshing. Hulk's a versatile character with a lot of different ways to use him, but I think the version we see in Avengers is what would work best for a movie, especially if they're trying to sell him as a popular character to kids in the way that Spidey and Wolverine have always been, and Iron Man has just recently become.

The one shot I remember clearly is when Loki is speaking with The Other (who is Annihilus & is not a member of the Chitauri) & The Other has 6 fingers.

Wait, are you being serious? Or are you just kidding? That would be disappointing if he WERE Annihilus and limited to such small role, and not even credited as such.

As far as I know, the Other is just some random prime minister guy that was meant to be different looking enough from the generic Chitauri for us to remember him, while not being specific enough to give away what the big reveal in the credits was. I don't think they can use Annihilus anyway since he's probably contained in the Fantastic Four rights the way the Skrulls are.

What works in print dos not alway work on screen. Banner's fractured mind and the various Hulks it manifests make for good reading, but would potentially confuse the snot out of audiences. Keeping it simple broadens the appeal, but it does "water down" the character for us die hards. So the Savage Hulk is the way to go. The tricky part would be maintaining a sense of menace and danger while allowing the Hulk to be funny. Sure he might smash a beeping computer that startled him, but then he might also smash Tony if he fusses about the busted equipment.

But to the point of the thread... darn shame no Banner minimate. Maybe the window could be pryed open for a Banner / Coulson with big cannon 2 pack?

What works in print dos not alway work on screen. Banner's fractured mind and the various Hulks it manifests make for good reading, but would potentially confuse the snot out of audiences. Keeping it simple broadens the appeal, but it does "water down" the character for us die hards. So the Savage Hulk is the way to go. The tricky part would be maintaining a sense of menace and danger while allowing the Hulk to be funny. Sure he might smash a beeping computer that startled him, but then he might also smash Tony if he fusses about the busted equipment.

But to the point of the thread... darn shame no Banner minimate. Maybe the window could be pryed open for a Banner / Coulson with big cannon 2 pack?

I've been arguing with people who have the snot confused out of them about Hulk on the IMDB message boards for days... so yeah... I get what you're saying, lol...

As to more movie minimates... I know everyone seems to want the big cannon... but I REALLY don't need another Coulson minimate.

For all the Iron Man, Spider-Man, Hulk, Cap, Wolverine and Thor retreads... most of them (not all, but most) are fairly... necessary updates? Or at least decent updates. Or at least a fair few of them.

Coulson, while a fun and integral addition to the Marvel film universe AND the movie in question... is in absolutely positively no way a character that needs TWO movie minimates. The one from the Thor wave is completely and utterly fine.

Though I wouldn't be opposed to Thanos, Other and Banner mates... in any combination. And I'd over-look the logical inconsistancy if the cannon was snuck in with one of them. But I'm sure we all know how very very unlikely that is...

EDIT:

Oh PS. Both Super Hero Squad Hulk and Thor are oft hilarious. I doubt either would work well in a movie, but for that show, they're freakin' great, lol...

Edited by Gillbob316