UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Lobstercave

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

So, yeah, having a baby definitely cuts down on your customizing time! laugh.png

I managed to scrape out the three remaining Watchmen characters for Custom Con 36, though. I have to say, after waiting 20 years for toys from my favorite graphic novel, it was extremely gratifying to be able to take this picture:

watchmen_display.jpg

Edited by Lobsterman

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. This year-long project was really fun to work on, and I got to experiment with a few new painting and sculpting techniques I think came out well.

I'm actually very happy with how all of them came out except Nite Owl, my favorite character. He just seems… I don't know, underdone next to the others. I thought I had found the perfect solution for his goggles with the Tomb Raider Scavenger piece, but I had to do several coats of yellow on them and it seems to have filled in the "glass" lines around the lenses, so they just look a little sloppy and painted on. I'm not super happy with how the masking on his boots and gloves came out, either. I think that's because I got lazy and masked and painted right onto a gray body rather than priming and painting the whole thing. Maybe he needs some muscle definition on his legs, too, so they're not so plain? I don't know, I may end up redoing him. His cape and cowl came out pretty well, I guess.

I didn't think I'd like Comedian as much as I do. He was originally going to be a quick kitbash, using X-23's legs (which he does), a black tank top, and the harness piece like NOW Hawkeye has. The harness ended up being pretty far off model once I really reviewed it – his gear is more like a holster belt and suspenders – so I scratch sculpted that setup, modifying and adding T-Cats Jackalman's shoulder armor for his.

Ozymandias was fun to work on, too, and one of the most sculpt-intensive. I've never thought that gold shoulder collar thing he has looked anatomically practical, like it would have to be much bigger and bulkier than it's drawn in the book to work in 3 dimensions. The Mattel figure sculpt supported my theory, as it seems gigantic and makes his shoulders look bizarrely wide. I'm not sure how I made it work for the blocky torso and very short neck of a Minimate body, but I think it does. The belt/tunic is mostly scratch-sculpted, and the cloak is made from what I believe to be one of the rarest (and based on aftermarket prices for the two sets you can get it in, most expensive) pieces – the duster trenchcoat. BSG Cavil generously donated his.