UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Lobstercave

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Zach– no, I haven't done a Pinkerton set yet. I'm still trying to figure out how I'll pull that one off in Minimate scale; I definitely need to do one at some point, though, as it's her favorite album. As for the cruise mates, that was a limited run, so I unfortunately don't have any more.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished this guy over the weekend while I was waiting for paint to dry on my Custom Con set. Fairly simple custom with just a couple parts repainted, but it makes you appreciate how difficult it is to get a true white (I had to repaint about three times and experiment with different varnishes to keep it from yelllowing).

ffdoom.jpg

Future Foundation Doom

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had two sets of customs that happened to come together right around time for the Dynamic Duo contest, but I had to choose one. I think Havok and Polaris came out overall better as a pair craft-wise, but I was really wavering toward these two:

voodoo.jpg

Doctor Voodoo and Daniel Drumm

When Bendis decided to make a fairly random, D-list character from a 70's horror book into the most powerful magic user in the MU, a lot of people were understandably unhappy. I personally enjoyed the short stint of Jericho Drumm as Sorcerer Supreme. I thought it was an interesting idea to make the character a more aggressive, activist Sorcerer, and the first few issues of the book were a lot of fun when he was going around putting the beatdown on characters like Dormammu and Nightmare. I thought the idea that these otherwise super-powerful characters didn't have specific experience with voodoo magic, which gave Drumm an edge, was an interesting concept. The character arc kind of petered out, though, and the Drumm was swept under the rug in short order.

Anyhow, I was trying to make Daniel into a glow-in-the-dark figure and never quite pulled it off the way I wanted to. I got close with the Pirates Lookout GITD figure, but I couldn't get all of the purple paint off of his legs. This one is an Iceman body stripped down and lightly RIT dyed; resin cast hair, belt, and sculpted boots; all sprayed with a diluted glow-in-the-dark paint. The color isn't as uniform as I'd like, and it's a little muddy. So, I don't know, maybe I'll keep fiddling, maybe I'll just put him on the shelf and be done.

The Doctor's cape is a modified Black Panther cape; his bracelets, belt sash/voodoo bones, and Staff of Legba are all sculpted.

I have to admit that i needed to google this incarnation of the character because i wasn't familiar with Brother Voodoo as Sorcerer Supreme (i'm clearly very far behind in my mystic marvel), but once i did i can see that these are brilliant figures... so much detail. A+ Lobby!

Edited by Nessex

Personally I like these better than your Havok & Polaris, but I've also got a soft spot for Doctor Voodoo. Love that you made a Daniel Minimate, and love that you cast clear pieces for him. And I love the cape and staff for the Doctor. Wonderful job all around.

I'm with Boyd: these two are just amazing! The details on Voodoo's belt and staff are just great! I'm not really up to date with my Marvel stories. I left around the time Strange stopped, and Brother Voodoo started being the Sorcerer Supreme, so at least I know how these guys. ;) Very well done!

You gotta tell me, who's Drumm's hairdresser? Is that Lobo's hair piece?

Thanks, everyone!

@ emperor- havok is a black body with decals, I think a movie Cap head, and a mashup with minor sculpting of Angel's head sleeve and I think movie Hawkeye's hair. Polaris is a mostly painted body with decals, decal face, Gamora cape, and a heavily sculpted SM3 Gwen Stacy (not the newer one) hair.

@ TM2- they're just laser decal sheets on clear paper rather than white. I use the clear ones for everything, actually, because I don't like how the white edges show on the opaque ones. I can't think if the website off hand, but if you search for "bare metal foil," that's the company that makes the clear decal paper and you can get it on their site.

@Bob Harris- wow, no, it's the TRU exclusive Atlantean Guard's hair, but I never even thought about using Lobo's hair. Is that the same piece?

Edited by Lobsterman