UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Lobstercave

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:jawdrop: Wow those are stunning.

...and here are the classic Starjammers (my CC33 entry)!

starjammers.jpg

Did you use decals to make him? Because if so I might turn to them for the details that are hard to get with painting. Also,did you use spray paint for his body? I wanted to use one for my secret Santa customs but my nearby hobby store had run out of them.

Again,thanks for this awesome custom!

@Kostisfire- the art on the body is indeed decals. They're really good for fine lines and details. And the body has a base coat of color applied with an airbrush. I do most of my solid areas with an airbrush to avoid seeing brushstrokes.

@Bob- the chains are from the Black Slime Monster from the Ghostbusters video game four pack. He came with a little hook and chain. I believe Lobo had the same piece. Also, Panthro has a similar sized chain on his nunchucks.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Edited by Lobsterman

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So, I've had this project in the back of my head for a while: Watchmen is one of my all-time favorite comics, and I've always wanted to do Minimates. I've had a few started for years, but they've languished on my workbench as more "timely" impulses for characters overtake me. When Mattel announced their 6" Watchmen series, it was just the motivation I needed to get in gear and finish these guys. And with their release schedule of one every two months, it's a nice timeline where I can work on one at a time in between other projects and not stress too much about jamming them out all at once.

Well, that's what I thought, but I'm ever the procrastinator. sweat.gif

Anyway, Rorschach was out in January, and I finished him up a couple weeks ago. I'm super close on Manhattan, and should be posting him shortly...

rorschach.jpg

Yeah, it's got to be a sculpted coat-- it's even missing a button!

He looks really, really great. I can't wait to see your Nite-Owl; he was always my favorite. I've made a couple Watchmen customs myself, but he's always eluded me, because I've never been able to figure out how to do his mask and cape.

Yep, the coat is sculpted. Way back when I originally started him, I figured I'd just repaint the coat from Pegasus Six from the BSG Razor army dump. After really looking at the source material, though, I found that coat was 1) not quite on model design-wise and 2) a women's coat that buttoned the opposite way. So, I sanded it down and sculpted the details. I actually started working on him before I got my Mattel figure. Working from the original source art, I made his coat and hat more brown/tan; IMO, the Mattel figure's color is too red.

YB - I use Kneadatite "green stuff" for my sculpting. When it's first mixed, it's very pliable and blends well to other base parts without leaving a seam. When it cures for 10 or 15 minutes, it gets rigid enough to work and still hold detail. Once it's fully cured, it's the most like plastic of any compound I've found; it's solid and not brittle, and slightly flexible, so it actually works well for capes and tunics.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Edited by Lobsterman

Wonderful looking Rorschach. That oversized Question hat works for him. I look forward to Dr. Manhattan and the first Minimate with frontal male nudity.

My old trick for sculpting the front of trenchcoats was to slice the front part off of the coat, then attach a very thin piece of plastic to the front. Then I'd sculpt the front of the coat with Magic Sculpt onto the plastic.