UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Lobstercave

Hey, all–

I'm not nearly as prolific (or talented) as some of the folks on here, but I wanted to start showing some of the stuff I'm working on. I tend to start one custom, then get distracted by another character I want to make and jump to that custom, and pretty soon end up with a workbench full of half-completed figures.

Anyway, I buckled down and finished a team for Custom Con I'm pretty proud of. It goes up sometime next week, but I wanted to give you all a sneak peak...

teaser.jpg

Edited by Lobsterman

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW, And I do mean wow. I am slack jawed by this group of customs. If we were to get an official wave that looked half as good as these I would be delighted. You really hit a home run with this set.

Very nicely done.

Really impressed with these overall. The flight mode accessories on Starhawk are the topper.

Thanks for the kind words, gang. I've been sitting on this set a while. I didn't quite have it done in time for the last go-around, so I've just been waiting to reveal since July or so. And as you know, when there's not a deadline looming, you start thinking about how you might improve some little thing... then fiddling... then tweaking... then screwing up... then redoing the whole thing from scratch... :lol:

The anticipation is overwhelming. Finally Lobsterman's big reveal is at hand!

UPDATE: Just saw the group. Holy freaking sh!t man! Those are awesome! You and your modesty Brian. Tsk,tsk,tsk. I bow before your customising greatness. I'll give you my address and you can send them my way. ;)

Edited by MINI_MYTE

The anticipation is overwhelming. Finally Lobsterman's big reveal is at hand!

UPDATE: Just saw the group. Holy freaking sh!t man! Those are awesome! You and your modesty Brian. Tsk,tsk,tsk. I bow before your customising greatness. I'll give you my address and you can send them my way. ;)

yes indeed, Mr. Modest ... aka ModestMan! able to create great customs, and blow up our brains when revealed, after a six month fermentation process!

and Mini_Myte, the only problem with that, is I think they already are on the way to Pennsylvania...:tongue:

Is there a link somewhere? I'm missing it.

Damn, those are fine! I would buy that set in an instant. Crystal guy and blue flying guy are my favorites.

Martinex and Starhawk. :biggrin:

Those are... just wonderful. :wub: Can we get a closeup shot of Starhawk in flight?

@hellpop: Didn't you hear? Marvel officially changed Starhawk's name to "Blue Flying Guy" and Martinex to "Crystal Guy". Something about a long forgotten copyright infringement. ;)

Thanks everyone for the compliments. Here are a few closeups from different perspectives:

Group2.jpg

Group3.jpg

Group4.jpg

Group5.jpg

Group7.jpg

As for the questions:

• monkeycrumb– the paints are Vallejo Acrylics Game Color. They have a great range of preexisting colors, and they mix and thin for airbrushing very well.

• Tenime– very carefully. ;) They are in fact decals; i've tried a couple different kinds of sticker paper, and, while they are indisputably easier to work with, I just can't fall in love with the color reproduction on them. I like seeing a solid "spot color" rather than a 4cp build. So, I do it the old-fashioned way: paint mixing and lots of masking. Yondu, for instance, had three separate paint masks, then a clear decal overlay with the black details. The exception is when I need a light detail on a dark base, like the highlights on Major Victory. In that case, I print the darker color as a 4cp build on clear decal film, trying to use as solid a color as possible. The whole process is a total PIA, but I'm kind of crazy about details. :lol:

One more little thing: a teaser for what's coming up next Custom Con... <_<

rocket.jpg

Edited by Lobsterman

HOLY SNAPPING ARMPITS!!!!

Lobby. . . :jawdrop:

Dude - i don't even know who most of those are, but i would buy every single one!

Absolutely amazing work. MOC is right, these are curse worthy. I'm not even able to pick a favourite. A+++++