UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Donny B's customs

Let's start with the most noteworthy attempts - full out customs complete with sculpted parts:

megaman_01.jpg

Mega Man X

This one's made from a Battle-damaged Daredevil body. I totally repainted it (minus the mouth) and used some sculpey for helmet, gun, boots, etc. This was my first custom, which I did this back in 2006.

----------------------------------------

composite.jpg

Yuriko Aran (my entry for the Alternate Universe Custom Contest)

I bit off FAR more than I could chew with this one.

It had been roughly 4 years since I tried making a full-on custom with sculpted parts. I had forgotten everything I knew from before, and I went into it very unprepared. I used Das Prang as my sculpting clay (a brand that I do not recommend using. it was murder getting a smooth surface from that stuff), I had to re-learn how to air brush, and I hadn't even attempted figuring out how decals work.

This custom was supposed to be amazingly mind blowing. But my lack of experience hampered my ambition considerably.

I spent roughly 3 weeks doing the sculpting work in order to take it from this to the final product, but all that work was negated by the paint (since the clay doesn't hold the paint too well - it showed off all the massive flaws like nobody's business) ... so I will be researching materials better and getting a stronger handle on techniques, and I will be tweaking this sucker until I'm pleased with it.

"Art is never finished. It is only abandoned" ...

Next is my repaint of...

phoenix_01.jpg

Phoenix.

I did this one before the official release. All I did was take a dark phoenix 'mate and repaint the red parts green. Then I switched out the head with the one from the New X-Men Phoenix Minimate

---------------------------------------

A tweak of...

Jean.jpg

Jean Grey.

This is simple enough. I wanted to make the official release a little more pleasing to the eye, so I dropped the wrist cuffs, cut the shoulder pads, altered the detailing on the chest block, and switched out the face.

Quick Customs:

Wolverine_Daken.jpg

Wolverine

Relatively simple work - I just switched out parts from the Daken Wolverine and the TRU brown wolverine.

jamesbond_01.jpg

James Bond.

I seriously have no clue what parts I used for this. But I can tell you that no effort into this. I just slapped some pre-existing pieces together. No alterations at all.

And here's the cheapest thing I've ever done while still considering it a "custom"

ornament_spidey.jpg

ornament_silversurfer.jpg

ornament_ironman.jpg

Danglers.

I screwed some eye-hooks into the heads of some minis and superglued them into positions to make Christmas tree ornaments. Or keychains, or rearview-mirror-dangling-thingies. This was also back in 2006 - some day I'll update my danglers with some more current releases.

Edited by Donny B

Yeah, I would certainly love to do more. And I have several different characters planned, but finding the time to do them is the problem. I'm currently making a custom of myself (te he he) for my comic strip... but the strip in and of itself is a bit more work than I have time for, and that's my big priority at the moment (gotta hustle to get the relaunch ready in time for the official release date. woo hoo)

So yeah, I'm still wanting to make some new customs. But it may be a while yet... <_<

• 5 months later...

Just call me the Bumpinator... :D

Seriously, though, who's thinking of doing that awesome "Dangler" thing as Christmas Ornaments this holiday season? I know I am. :)

Another thing: Donny, that Megaman X is sooo cool! I've wanted Megaman mini's for so many years...I consider myself a hardcore MegaManFan. Except for the Battle Network..yuck...

Back on subject, how do you guys do your Green Phoenix's? They look so beautiful!

Good eye.

Yeah, I had totally forgotten all about this thread... I wrote that little blurb about not knowing where the parts came from before the Quick Customs contest over at MMC. I decided to use my James Bond as my entry, so I had to go through and find what parts I had used. I would have thought to update this, but like I said - I forgot this thread existed :rolleyes:

Yeah, you got it all pretty much right. The gun came from a set of guns/ammo/artilery that I picked up at TRU. I'll have to look up the brand name... I don't remember it off the top of my head.

Oh, and the Phoenix is just a paint job. I taped off what I didn't want green, and just used an airbrush. I let it dry, took the tape off, and it pretty much turned out the way you see it (I had to do some minor touchups with a brush)

And I think I may be making some new danglers this year... :)

• 10 months later...

Donny,

Glad i found this thread...

That Megaman X has made everything right in the universe. IMO if teres any license that would translate extremely well to 'Mate form..its Rockman (megaman). I have a mild interest in the original blue bomber, *really* dig the 'X' design (and have the Megaman X movie . Why that wasnt turned into a regular anime is beyond me. It would have been legendary) and oddly enough i like the Rockman.exe aka Megaman NT Warrior series the best (the japanese version . Havent seen the American version). NT Warrior Mates....ahhhhh

Another thing: Donny, that Megaman X is sooo cool! I've wanted Megaman mini's for so many years...I consider myself a hardcore MegaManFan. Except for the Battle Network..yuck...

No love for the EXE Series Alpheon? For some reason even though the 'X' Series has everything an action figure collector / sci fi enthusiast could hope for in its story line... Exe appeals to me more. I dont understand it either :P Its light hearted & i like the PC avatar as your personal warrior angle. Which is odd as i dont game... What dont you like?