UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Close, but no cigar

Dio

Hahahahahaha.

DC Toy Sales Researcher: "Sir, we are finding high market demand for small, DC action figures in a cute stylized format."

DC Toy Executive: "Good. Let's get something to the market."

DC Toy Sales Researcher: "Ok. I would suggest we re-visit DC Minimates. They had significant market success and after-market collector prices have shot through the roof."

DC Toy Executive: "Hmmm. What other options do we have?"

DC Toy Sales Researcher: "We've tried Blammoids, Mini Mez-Its, Mighty Beanz, Trio, and Squatz with little success. We have had success with properties like Lego Minifigures which have an established fan base. I think we should revisit DC Minimates. Toy Fare magazine called Minimates the longest running toy line in collector history."

DC Toy Executive: "Hmmm. I have an idea. Let's make some figures called 'Little Mates' instead of 'MiniMates'. They will be just like Minimates except fat."

DC Toy Sales Researcher: "Our research data suggests fans prefer superheroes with athletic ..."

DC Toy Executive: "My mind is made up! Make fat headed 'Little Mates' for the fans. Mini, Little, what's the difference? It's just plastic crap for nerds."

Exactamundo, Jatta! :thumbsup:

I love the DC characters, but not one of the toy lines featuring them has anything to offer me, personally. I collect minimates and 3.75 " figures. The only decent DC toys are the DC Universe Classics and they're just too large for me.

Just think of all the money they have wasted trying out these "new" toylines, when if they had continued with DC minimates, I swear I would have bought all 25 + members of the Legion of Superheroes by now! :lol:

Other than Squatz, I don't mind anything else that DC has made past Minimates. That includes Blammoids. I'm sure there's a market for whatever they put out and I guess I don't think of it as these products are their answer to Minimates. DC has already proven they don't know what their fans want when it comes to toys and no one should be surprised any more by whatever they try. And really, pretty much everything they put out now Marvel has something similar usually, the only difference is we still have Marvel Minimates.

I too, actually quite like these, and have even considered getting either Green Lantern or the Batman guys.

I had no idea they were called little mates though, that's a little dodgy to me. Nor that they were only 2" tall.

DC are so desperate for something to succeed, but they'd rather keep licking their wounds than admit they had something good with minimates.

It's a baby Flash! How cuuuute!

Oy! (we really need a facepalm emoticon)

I'm just curious how people would feel if these were Marvel characters.

Pretty much the same, i'd wager.

I'm not a huge fan of these. Sure - they are cute & i wouldn't mind getting one or two of my favourite characters (Two Face or Freeze for DC. Phoenix or Sinister for Marvel), but they don't have enough staying power to create a deep, full, diverse line of figures the way Minimates or MU has. And i reckon DC knows this, as they have already spent their top 6 characters along with Batmans biggest villain duo in the first wave. I'd say these might have a second wave in them. a Third with retreads if they're lucky.

I hear & believe most everything that is said about DC by you guys,you have for more experience about toys than I ....I genuinely accept that I'm a novice in these matters.

However ......I'll say it yet again .....I'm not entirely sure it's all DC's fault that new DC Minimates aren't on the horizon.

My opinion on this latest offering from DC isn't printable.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Personally I don't get the appeal of a lot of deformed "urban" type figures. Mezits I think they're called, the whole bobble head craze, I don't get 'em. No, not that I just don't collect them, I don't understand the draw. But thats just me.

What you really seem to be asking is would we even notice of care about these if DC minimates were still being made. If we noticed, they'd still look like Muppet Baby versions of DC characters and be ridiculous. It's just probable it wouldn't irritate as much.

What you really seem to be asking is would we even notice of care about these if DC minimates were still being made. If we noticed, they'd still look like Muppet Baby versions of DC characters and be ridiculous. It's just probable it wouldn't irritate as much.

Yes, that's really what I was asking, but not only because of the Minimate thing. I suppose I think that in general most people disagree with a lot of the way things are handled by DC in general and it seems to be an easier bandwagon to jump on. But it seems that DC gets a lot of crap (usually deservedly so) for poor product choices and yet Marvel seems to get by with it without much attention. Just a theory though and I think DC gets much more criticism here because of the lack of Minimates (also deservedly so).

To be honest, i feel that i see a LOT of output from DC. My LCS has a whole wall of DC Direct figures from Green Lantern waves to Return of Bruce Wayne to Dark Knight to Arkham Asylum to Flashpoint etc . . .

Compared to Marvel where we have . . . . MU. And Minimates. With Squad & ML falling by the wayside these last couple of years ( I know there ARE other lines out there like squinkles, bobble heady things etc) it seems like there's isn't as much as DC, so i'm often of the mindset that i'm excited to see ANYTHING from Marvel.

I was fairly critical of the MU line to start with. I feel it genuinely suffered from poor character selection, average sculpts and really weak paint apps - but it has improved quite a lot in all 3 fields.

You ARE right in part - if Marvel released 'Little Mates' i'd look at them and go 'huh - wont be buying those'. Where as with DC, i do have a mind-set of 'Well, this is the last in a long line of designer miniature collectables that aren't minimates - i DEFINITELY wont be buying those'.

It seems to me that DC puts out a lot more to be unhappy with than Marvel. Marvel seem to throw more of there energies into making fewer lines succeed, rather than DC's approach of trying everything once and being happy if it sells a wave or two before moving on to the next mediocre idea.

Depends. Would the existence of Marvel Little Mates mean no more Marvel Minimates?

I'm fine with alternative products for people who want them. I know I enjoy plenty of things that other people don't, and I would never want their dislike to prevent me from getting what I want, so I would never wish something I disliked to not be made.

My beef is when they make this crap instead of what I like, much like Jatta "dramatically re-enacted."

Make all the Blammoids and Mez-Itz and Little Mates they want. Just not as an alternative to DC Minimates.