UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bragging rights!

Bob Harris

Earlier this week I got my first academic degree, Magister Artium. It's a continental European thing I guess and kind of equivalent to your postgraduate Master of Arts degree, but you usually have two majors, or a major and two minor subjects. The latter is my combination.

The last year was pretty exciting but also pretty exhausting, since it included my final thesis (120 fracking pages!) and oral exams in all my subjects. I took the last one on Wednesday and now I'm finally done. I'm glad I did it and I loved those last 5 years at University. Next up I'll start my Ph.D. project and it seems like I'll get a teaching assignment (don't know if that's the right term for giving classes at university?) next spring semester. Yay!

I thought I share this with you folks, not only because it's a big thing for me, but also because this place is great and I was glad to come here and got some distraction whenever I needed it. So, thanks a lot to all of you! And no, I'm not leaving now. :tongue:

Exactly how does that work title wise- Magister? Magistrate? Atriumness?

And heck yeah you earned some bragging rights. Congradulations on the impressive ackomplishment.

Vielen Dank!

Thanks, thanks, thanks, guys! :biggrin:

Congratulations! That's fantastic. Care to tell us about the subject of your thesis?

I'm a philosophy major - literature/linguistics and politics are my minors - and I talked about animal cognition and different philosophical perspectives on the issue - is there an "insuperable line" between humans and animals, or are there only gradual differences. It's incredible what animals are capabile of, but which of those things do we regard as a scientific proof and why? Something like this. It isn't one of the topics that come to mind first if one things about philosophy, but it's based on the everlasting question on what defines humans and the different methods of science and humanities. I like non-mainstream topics.

"The Psychosocial Effects of Miniaturized Polymer-Based Avatars on Postmodern Consciousness"

That would have been my first choise, but I doubt they would've let me use it. :tongue:

Congrats, Bob! I can imagine how much hard work you've put into the last few years. And you still managed to find time to make all those great customs!

I was glad to do some customs to get a little distraction. Making customs is my zen, you know. ;) But I was also really looking forward to do some more time consuming and complex customs (=sculpting is involved) I wouldn't have time for. Now I have that time. :biggrin:

Exactly how does that work title wise- Magister? Magistrate? Atriumness?

And heck yeah you earned some bragging rights. Congradulations on the impressive ackomplishment.

Your Atriumness would be appropriate I guess. Kidding, Magister is the right title. But I guess nobody actually uses that. (Does anybody use the M.A. title?) You need it to be allowed to teach at University and that's all I need it for.

I took a course as an undergraduate in Environmental Ethics that delved a bit into your thesis topic, Bob. We also had a "Comparative Psychology" sub-field in the psych. department at USM, and the most well known faculty member there studied dolphin cognition. These are fairly important areas of study IMO.

Thanks a lot guys!!!

So, does this make you a full fledged wizard, or am I getting this all confused with something else?

In either case, congratulations.

My aim is to become a faculty member at the Unseen University, where the title wizard is said to be derived from the archaic word "Wys-ars", meaning one who, at bottom, is very wise. Full fledged or not. That ain't Hogwarts.

I took a course as an undergraduate in Environmental Ethics that delved a bit into your thesis topic, Bob. We also had a "Comparative Psychology" sub-field in the psych. department at USM, and the most well known faculty member there studied dolphin cognition. These are fairly important areas of study IMO.

I'm glad I don't work on animal rights and ethics. My experience in those classes is, that somebody starts to talk about this dog his former girlfriend's niece once had, who was able to do this and that and therefore should be regarded as a person. Right after that, the guy sitting in the front is making up one of those amazing and completely unrealistic examples in which that very dog would not be able to make a choice in that specific situation and cannot be regarded as a person and therefore has no rights at all. And than this nice blonde girl comes up with the same situation in which a parrot she once saw in a Hungarian circus while in Prague would without any doubt would be able to not only make that choice and would also solve a puzzle while riding on a miniature bike and everybody has to agree that... Ethics. (Don't get me wrong, I'm a 5th dan vegetarian.)

Dolphin cognition sounds interessting. The one thing that caught my attention for the whole subject is a gorilla called Koko who learned to use the American Sign Language. There's this anecdote in which a trainer asks Koko "how do gorillas feel when they die – happy, sad, afraid?" and Koko replys: "sleep". Then it goes "where do gorillas go when they die?" - "comfortable hole bye" - "when do gorillas die?" - "trouble old". I felt this was amazing. And part of my works is/was why this could or could not be a scientific proof.

Edited by Bob Harris