UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Skylander figures

Okay, so I got this email this morning.

post-51-0-66400900-1318685228_thumb.jpg

No idea what Skylanders are, never heard of them. Oh, they're new. Okay, that makes sense, they're promoting it by giving away a free one. I'm not really interested, but I kinda like that ninja elf. Maybe she'll make a good paperweight. And then I see the text. You have to spend $100?! That's freaking insane. And then I read the fine print. The free figure isn't even at TRU. A certificate will be mailed to you after Christmas! Plenty of time for interest to wane.

So I go online looking at this stuff. Apparently they're Spyro mini figures for a new game that's coming out. And they use cards. No idea if the cards play the game, or it's another game or what's going on here. And they're not even that expensive, which means you'd have to buy a ton of them to spend $100. It would have been easier if the sets were like $50 each. (though 'easier' might not be the right word.) And it ties in with a video game, which will be all but forgotten in a few months.

Anyways, I just thought this was crazy. I still can't quite wrap my head around it.

you use the figures on a dome to have that figure "transport" into the game.

All stats earned in-game stay with the specific figure you used. not the character, that specific piece. Built in memory.

the figure you just used to play on your PS3 can then be used on the wii, which then can be used on your 3DS. Multi-platform capabilities for each piece.

[Which includes the PS3, Xbox360, Wii, PSP, DS, 3DS and even the computer]

You don't have to own multiples of the same character because you want it for both your handheld and console.

Spyro is still a popular franchise and in demand. Look at how much the PS3 Spyro (NTSC version) game sells for on the secondary market.

Retailers have a lot of faith in this product line, TRU has lots of exclusive planned. Activision is a powerhouse for making money in the gaming industry, according to a manager I talk to.

There is still a lot I don't know... like if you have to own a separate dome for each platform.

Anyways, I just thought this was crazy. I still can't quite wrap my head around it.

I can’t help but think if this was a “Friendship is Magical” game with the same concept (buy toys, put them on a base, toys go into videogame) you’d call it the greatest idea ever.

The sale makes sense too. A brand new game is $70, A deluxe set is $20, buy two singles at $8 a piece and you’ve earned your free figure... game just came out so offering someone an extra game piece if they bought what they were gonna buy anyway seems like a good idea.

Japan has had arcade games like this for a while, you take a card, place it on a reader, it shows up in game, rarer cards are better characters. This is the same thing just on a console, in America, and includes toys... it’s no crazier then Guitar Hero.

this whole idea is something I'd stay well clear of. I'm not sure I entirely understand, but it seems similar to what Pokemon cards were doing 5-10 years ago, with special 'E-Cards' that you swiped, and gave you extra stuff on the Gameboy/SD. Am I anywhere near being right there?

that said, do you guys really pay $70 for new games? I'm a bit surprised by this, as that works out as pretty much the same for us (approx. £40), while a lot of other stuff we end up paying a lot more, e.g. something that would cost you guys $10 would cost us £10. A few times I've tried to get stuff to US based people and been accused of overcharging/scalping, as they have slimply not know we have to pay a sh*tload more over here.

• 3 weeks later...

New games for 360 and PS3 are usually $60 here, while Wii games tend to run $50. As far as the Pokemon card things, yeah, I think you're right. Though I more remember the Animal Crossing things. They gave you special furniture...

Idk, I think the idea is cool, you get both figures that kids will play with (articulation notwithstanding) and what appears to be at least an entertaining game.

• 3 weeks later...

can someone help me aquire the Target exclusive figure for my son for xmas(no target in my state)

Is this the exclusive: http://www.target.com/p/Skylanders-Spyro-s-Adventure-Whirlwind-Character-Only-at-Target/-/A-13742849#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton (if the link doesn’t work just search “skylander”)

you can order her (is it a her?) on-line from Target directly.... or if you can’t cause there’s a rule Target will only ship to states with brick and mortar stores I’ll go to one of the six Targets here for you tomorrow.

can someone help me aquire the Target exclusive figure for my son for xmas(no target in my state)

Is this the exclusive: http://www.target.com/p/Skylanders-Spyro-s-Adventure-Whirlwind-Character-Only-at-Target/-/A-13742849#?lnk=sc_qi_detailbutton (if the link doesn’t work just search “skylander”)

you can order her (is it a her?) on-line from Target directly.... or if you can’t cause there’s a rule Target will only ship to states with brick and mortar stores I’ll go to one of the six Targets here for you tomorrow.

thats the one "whirlwind" it says its not available on line i would very much appreciate the help if you dont mind going into the store at this time of year

thats the one "whirlwind" it says its not available on line i would very much appreciate the help if you dont mind going into the store at this time of year

Hit up four targets between 9 and 11 am (don’t worry, I was also looking for wave 3 or Young Justice so it’s not like I was making a special trip) before it got to crazy and all the Whirlwinders were sold out, I’ll keep checking the target closest to my work for you to see if they restock but if you need a faster, albeit slightly more costly option: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wii-Nintendo-DS-PC/dp/B005H3APR8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322421309&sr=8-1 Amazon has 43 on sale one of which is only $18 shipped.