UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

NYCC News

Seeing as how these last cons have went, i have seen only some signs of, wait for it, wait for it, KANG!

But although there is no Kang, there is much promise with other mates. Zombies i will buy THOUSANDS of (if toys r us wont be stupid) MvC is getting my interests with Dormammu and MODOK. Uhm, Kingpin has always been a favorite. Seeing as how i have the first appearance punisher comic, i might just make my first recreation cover. So yea, customs are hopefully coming soon (on an iphone camera) if i have the time...

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it spins out of the Dark Angel Saga. So if you are liking X-Force right now, you might like it. Creative team is David Lapham and Roborto De La Torre. And teaser image below.

detail.jpg

Ummm... is that Basilisk from Age of X in bottom left? I don't know anyone other than Sabretooth, Wolverine, and, I think, Phoenix?

It almost looks like it could be the formation of a combined Human and Mutant AoA Sheild Team.

The one with the purple mask makes me think of Psyloche or maybe Revanche. The gray skinned guy in the helmet could be Banner, it's been a while since I last flipped through them but I think he survived. While the masked character does look like Basilisk wasn't he the Age of X Cyclops? If that's the case he doesn't have the scars of AoA Cyclops.

My friends came back from NYCC and borught me my weight in MM exclusives. The zombies are without a doubt the best of the bunch. Look for some zombie Shots From The Minibar this week. The Deadpool Corps memebers are actually quite amuzing in hand. Just an FYI, they ALL have holes in the top of there heads. Even those who don't have a head accessory. Not sure if that's done on purpose or not. And all have red plastic (some pieces of which are different tones of red). The accessories more than make up for them thought. If you want to replace your existing DPs katanas, having an extra set of the DP Corps will help greatly. You get a total of 6 newer "big "katanas.

Speaking of the Deadpool Corps, I issue a challenge to any forum members (especially DP fans / readers) to submit to me a funny gag involving all four and a half memebers or even just a couple of them to be turned into a Shot From The Minibar. That is all.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Just an FYI, they ALL have holes in the top of there heads. Even those who don't have a head accessory. Not sure if that's done on purpose or not.

That happened with Blade, too, right? Is that a new trend? I wonder if DST is trying to keep everyones' heads potentially compatible with accessories even if they're not technically supposed to have one. I hope that's not the case...

I've started .....& then deleted...numerous potential posts about the rationalisation of Minimates & the cost-cutting that is so very obvious of late . I've not pursued this because I've probably resigned myself to the fact that it is a sign of the times & I can hardly blame DST for doing so. It doesn't stop me getting really irritated when I see our 3-dimensional treasures being painted as if they were 2-dimensional . Compare De Wolfe's stockings to the paint apps on Valkyrie's legs for justan example http://www.minimatedatabase.com/figure.php?i=512&n=Valkyrie the difference in the overall effect is overwhelming. Don't even go near DC Minimates because even the most mundane character has paint that covers the entire realm of possible application ,quite incredible to believe that many Minimates produced over 4 years ago are in most respects superior in detail to some Marvel characters we're getting now. Note that I emphasise it is mainly Marvel characters because some of the other lines are little short of superb. Holes in the head? Rationalisation perhaps & as Minimate head-tops aren't being painted any more ...whatsitmatter? :rolleyes: Hands with fingers ? Something that IMO will eventually be the norm or at least common-place,it is also something I personally delight in seeing .

I'll stop there.

Wasn't able to get the Deadpool Corps set, saw one for sale and the guy wanted $45 for it!

Really? AFX sold out of them? They had a ton when I went by there on both Saturday and Sunday morning... Maybe I shouldn't just use the set I picked up for custom fodder...

Yeah in all the excitment I didn't get to the AFX stand until Sunday afternoon. By then they'd sold out, got the StormBreaker set from them though. Nice set.

The con really was great....shame my wallet got stolen in Times Square afterwards :confused::unsure: at least it wasn't before the con, otherwise I would have had no money!

I haven't asked, but I think the holes were left on the Deadpool 'Mates' heads because if there is any Marvel character who would wear a funny hat, it would be Deadpool. I think someone on the MMV even said they were going to put Headpool's propeller beanie on Kidpool.

Yes, DD is the 8th figure in TRU 13. Technically, I only asked what people would THINK if I said there was no overlap. Turns out there was one overlap. Still, it's better than four.

As far as TRU 13 getting a lot of sculpted parts, and specialty 43 getting a lot more basic 'Mates (not counting J. Jonah's coat/vest/newspaper and Jean's jaunty beret), there is no slight intended toward specialty. We're pretty proud of the Jean DeWolff wave, and felt that was the way to go for specialty. Plus, the higher number of figures produced for TRU makes all that new tooling more worthwhile.

Pretty sure spider-sense and spinning hammer will be clear.

Glad everyone liked the zombies. Working on a 2012 line plan.

Thanks everyone who came to the panel and/or introduced themselves at the booth!

I haven't asked, but I think the holes were left on the Deadpool 'Mates' heads because if there is any Marvel character who would wear a funny hat, it would be Deadpool. I think someone on the MMV even said they were going to put Headpool's propeller beanie on Kidpool.

Hmm... so can you say whether or not this might happen more often in the future to make "hatless" characters more accessory-friendly? I know with the branching out into pirates, police, and now zombies there seems to be an attempt to make the whole universe of Minimates more swappable and compatible, and in general I applaud that, but I think it can really ruin a character to see a hole in his/her head where there oughtn't be one. I guess I'll buy the Deadpool wearing hats rationale, but... bleh. :down:

As far as TRU 13 getting a lot of sculpted parts, and specialty 43 getting a lot more basic 'Mates (not counting J. Jonah's coat/vest/newspaper and Jean's jaunty beret), there is no slight intended toward specialty. We're pretty proud of the Jean DeWolff wave, and felt that was the way to go for specialty. Plus, the higher number of figures produced for TRU makes all that new tooling more worthwhile.

Zack, I thought about asking this question at the panel, but thought it might be a bit of a downer (and hard for you guys to comment on without Chuck on hand), but I'll ask it here: have you guys gotten any feedback from specialty stores since Minimates redebuted at TRU? Anecdotally, it seems as if more comic book shops are having trouble selling through their orders, at least in part because several identical packs are available at Toys R Us, often earlier and for less. In some cases (such as at my LCBS), retailers have stopped ordering Minimate waves at all. So, will we see less crossover between the two fields of distribution in the future, and can we expect specialty to follow the format of wave 43 by focusing on a specific storyline that might better catch the eye of a comic book shop owner?

You have some great ideas there ! I have long been an exponent of the removal of the pointless hole in the head & I believe we're ready for hands with fingers .

IMO the hole was superfluous in the first place but now that we have so many hairpieces & headpieces with unnecessary pegs on it is almost obligatory to have the holes .......especially if we are playing the compatibility card. I'm truly not trying to be a cleverass but slip-over heads don't have holes in ..... and I can't think of a 'Minimate hat' that exists ......a hat.... just a hat.... that doesn't have hair included as part of the moulding.

Just saying!

I can't think of a 'Minimate hat' that exists ......a hat.... just a hat.... that doesn't have hair included as part of the moulding.

Just saying!

Chef Duff had one, though it didn't have a peg on it, which still wouldn't necessitate the hole in the head thing.

Not that this means anything, but Green Goblin's hat has ears, but no hair. I guess Hobbie's is more a cowl since it's supposed to be connected to the cape (not on the figure, but in the comics)?

Edited by karamazov80

Having collected LEGO minifigs for several years, I'm not as bothered by holes in the heads of bald or masked characters as some of the others here. In fact, I probably wouldn't have noticed the hole in Blade's head if someone hadn't pointed it out.

Still hating Kingpin's sculpted fingers, but otherwise I'm just going to accept him for what he is... a big fat guy. Maybe I'll give him some hair and make a custom minivenom out of him when I get him. :biggrin:

I guess Hobbie's is more a cowl since it's supposed to be connected to the cape (not on the figure, but in the comics)?

Yep. It's a hooded cape with the mask as a separate piece. Unlike the Green Goblin mask, which is usually depicted as having the hat permenently affixed to the rest of the mask even when the mask is taken off. (that's one way to make sure it doesn't fall off in flight)

Wasn't able to get the Deadpool Corps set, saw one for sale and the guy wanted $45 for it!

Really? AFX sold out of them? They had a ton when I went by there on both Saturday and Sunday morning... Maybe I shouldn't just use the set I picked up for custom fodder...

Yeah in all the excitment I didn't get to the AFX stand until Sunday afternoon. By then they'd sold out, got the StormBreaker set from them though. Nice set.

The con really was great....shame my wallet got stolen in Times Square afterwards :confused::unsure: at least it wasn't before the con, otherwise I would have had no money!

Your wallet was stolen in Times Square? Wow! I havent heard of anything like that happening in years. Usually there are so many cops nobody would dare... Sorry man. That sucks.

I can't think of a 'Minimate hat' that exists ......a hat.... just a hat.... that doesn't have hair included as part of the moulding......apart from Chef Duff & the UNSC troops.

...........apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?

Try to look on the brighter side of life, Rob. :whistling:

Hmm... so can you say whether or not this might happen more often in the future to make "hatless" characters more accessory-friendly? I know with the branching out into pirates, police, and now zombies there seems to be an attempt to make the whole universe of Minimates more swappable and compatible, and in general I applaud that, but I think it can really ruin a character to see a hole in his/her head where there oughtn't be one. I guess I'll buy the Deadpool wearing hats rationale, but... bleh. :down:

Sorry the hole bugs you so much. Not sure how widespread it will be. I think I saw a hole on the Kingpin's head, but that may just be what the prototype painter had on hand. Think of it as an inverted Lego peg.

Zack, I thought about asking this question at the panel, but thought it might be a bit of a downer (and hard for you guys to comment on without Chuck on hand), but I'll ask it here: have you guys gotten any feedback from specialty stores since Minimates redebuted at TRU? Anecdotally, it seems as if more comic book shops are having trouble selling through their orders, at least in part because several identical packs are available at Toys R Us, often earlier and for less. In some cases (such as at my LCBS), retailers have stopped ordering Minimate waves at all. So, will we see less crossover between the two fields of distribution in the future, and can we expect specialty to follow the format of wave 43 by focusing on a specific storyline that might better catch the eye of a comic book shop owner?

I guess we'll see how orders go when 43 is solicited next month, but we certainly would like to bring more comic shops back into the fold.

Speaking of the Deadpool Corps, I issue a challenge to any forum members (especially DP fans / readers) to submit to me a funny gag involving all four and a half memebers or even just a couple of them to be turned into a Shot From The Minibar. That is all.

Okay, I have received 3 DP Corps shots. I think those will suffice for now. Thanks to those who answered the call. :thumbsup: