UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I'm Done

drgnrbrn316

So, after giving it some thought, I think I'm going to take a break from collecting Minimates for a while. Of late, my acquisitions don't even make it out of the box, sometimes not even the box they were shipped to my house in. The passion (and funding!) just isn't there like it once was.

I'm not sure what this means for MMHQ, though I'll certainly keep updating as long as time allows for the foreseeable future.

Really sorry to hear it man.

If you need a hand keeping MMHQ going while you 'rediscover your passion', give a yell out. I'm sure there are plenty of people on the boards (myself included) who'd be willing to contribute to it!

Hate to hear that, I really do.

Like Nessex said, my web skills may be rusty, but I'll help if I can.

Edited by Mirymate

Sorry to hear that drgn. But frankly, I'm feeling that lack of passion a bit myself. Just today I was trying to organize some of the stuff in my storage area, and ran across a box with about the last 6-7 months worth of Minimates that I had not even thought about since opening. I took them out of the box, bagged them up, and they just sat there. DST needs to get the Aliens license to reinvigorate our collective interest in the line, methinks.

I've quit before, so I can relate. Just be sure you're done before you sell anything off. I gutted my DC minimates collection to pursue other interests and now I'm having an awful time rebuilding my collection without paying the ridiculous prices some are asking on eBay.

<br />Sorry to hear that drgn.  But frankly, I'm feeling that lack of passion a bit myself.  Just today I was trying to organize some of the stuff in my storage area, and ran across a box with about the last 6-7 months worth of Minimates that I had not even thought about since opening.  I took them out of the box, bagged them up, and they just sat there.  DST needs to get the Aliens license to reinvigorate our collective interest in the line, methinks.<br />
<br /><br /><br /> hope you get the love back too!

Sorry to hear that, drgn. With a toy line that's run as long as this one has, it's easy to lose some enthusiasm.

I've a question, for you and anyone else that's thought about backing away from Minimates: do you customize? I sometimes find myself drifting away from Minimates, but I usually find myself renewed when a new custom idea strikes me, or when new parts are released that I can use for something. I would not be surprised if I would have left Minimates behind myself if I haven't gotten into customizing; I'm curious if others feel similarly.

I've been drifting away too. Won't be making my own thread, because it's happened before and my opinions on the matter change often.

I still love seeing news ones, so you'll still see me around here.

Hellpop, my problem really is that I lose enthusiasm for customizing. I've kept it no secret that I only really buy Minimates with the intent to make customs. So if I'm tired of customs, I'm tired of Minimates. I'm sitting on two WIPS right now that I just have no desire to finish.

You definitely deserve a break. If you find yourself thinking of shuttering MMHQ, let me know. I'll do my best to keep it alive while we find a new caretaker.

I have found a recent resurgence of interest in Minimates. I am happy to help out any new caretakers or contributers until my crazy life takes over again and I have no more time.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I can understand it. Maybe because it terribly hard to get those little guys here in Germany, I'm just a collector for those guys I really like or I see the possibility to customize. That's a way I can really work with.

Regarding MMHQ, there's always the big Minimmate Monopolist who'll pretty soon will make you an offer you can't refuse. (Can we get a Luke emoticon?)

Shamrock: please don't stop customizing!!!!!!!!!!!(That's an exclamation mark for each of your customs I terribly adore.)

I can totally related to how you are feeling now, drgn316. Sometimes you do have to walk away because the drive you had once is not there anymore. It's especially hard when you feel you have a responsibility to a website you have poured a lot of time into.

When I initially closed Minimates Central in 2007, I didn't foresee myself getting back into Minimates, but it reopened after a few months with Rad doing the reviews, and I actaully got excited about Minimates again and started buying them and reviewing again.

I think a lot of people's interest wax and wane. As said, it's so long running that it's hard to keep motivated sometimes. In some ways I prefered the old days when there were only a couple of lines and I could be a completist but that's just be being nostalgic and somewhat selfish.

Good luck in the future and I hope Minimate Headquarters finds some contributers - this community is amazing and I always "recruited" people from MMMV because you can tell a lot about people from how they post on here.

I am also sorry to hear that, but like groundhog said, it is better to realize it now than later. :confused:

Don't be a stranger!

I've a question, for you and anyone else that's thought about backing away from Minimates: do you customize? I sometimes find myself drifting away from Minimates, but I usually find myself renewed when a new custom idea strikes me, or when new parts are released that I can use for something. I would not be surprised if I would have left Minimates behind myself if I haven't gotten into customizing; I'm curious if others feel similarly.

Customizing always helps me renew my minimate obsession. There are times when new releases don't excite me, but I can always get fired up about a new custom. Another thing that helps me to keep the passion alive is to improve or rearrange my display.

Regarding MMHQ, there's always the big Minimmate Monopolist who'll pretty soon will make you an offer you can't refuse. (Can we get a Luke emoticon?)

:lol: I think I have enough on my plate already!

:lol: I think I have enough on my plate already!

Riiiiight. As if this all isn't part of some elaborate plot orchestrated by Luke to further consolidate his hold over all things Minimate. I wouldn't be surprised if Luke made drgn an "offer he couldn't refuse," and "asked" that he start a thread up here with some excuse so people wouldn't ask questions. Let all who oppose Luke's reign of terror despair!*

*if no one hears from me again, tell my wife and child that I love them. :(

Edited by karamazov80

I think it happens to most. I am not as aggressive about minimate collecting as I once was. Between having a new son, WAY more responsibility at work, and having my hobby actually become a form of work, I lost some of the passion. However, I do not plan to get crazy and sell my treasures. Don't be a stranger pal!!