UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 13...IS OUT NOW!

Jatta Pake

If it was meant for her foot, wouldn't it be more like the blast off bases that actually have a round foot peg and a spot for the other foot? I assume this one is either just thrown in by mistake or as a last resort. It makes no sense to have a rectangular peg in the dead center for a circular hole meant to display two feet.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice pics. Boom-Boom remains the fugliest Minimate in creation.

why? She looks faithful to the 90s x-force style.

You answered your own question.

So you don't like 90s Liefeld. No reason to hate on these mates. And as I stated before she's not even close to the fugliest mate. that's MJ or she's at least top 3. You need to backup your haterade with some facts.

Okay... it's not that I dislike Rob Liefeld's work (which I do), or that I dislike this style of artwork in general (which I do), or that I think that period of comics is best left forgotten, as it is almost wholly without artistic merit and nearly killed the industry (which I do, because it was and it did)-- IT'S A FUCKING UGLY COSTUME. Seriously, it looks like it was made from old Country Time Pink Lemonade labels. Even if you make the arguments that "it fits the character" or "it's meant to be ugly" (which is the only reason I can think of to justify HAVING HER NAME WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF HER TIGHTS), it's still just astonishingly ugly. Bad hairstyle too.

I'm know that these were formative comics for a lot of you, and that you've got lots of fond memories, but... no, I'm not gonna say any more. You've all got a right to your tastes and opinions. I'm glad you're getting your X-Force 'mates. Buy two; you can have mine.

Not sure how anyone could trash Liefield's art when he draws with laser point anatomical precision. Just look at this rendering of his epic Heroes Reborn Cap, showing his spot on anatomy. Michelangelo, get back to the drawing board, there's a new gold standard:

capnekkid.jpg

That literally made me laugh until tears streamed down my face. Thank you for that :)

I find it that movie mates are easier for me to skip. Passed on movie Avengers figures (except that Hawkeye switcheroo pack) and didn't get a huge urge for movie Amazing Spidey figures (except the Spidey/PP set...).

But TRU waves...

Comic Spidey? Yes!

Translucent figure? Yes!

Bulky character with an overdue character redo that I don't have yet? Yes!

Characters that I don't care about but have awesome detail and look great? Yes!

Plastic.

Crack.

I hate you Zack.

(Not really, Zack. :) )

So what's the proper way to use Magma's base? I see people inserting it into her foot, but it looks like the base the goes into hair, like Nova's...but I don't seem to have that option. Hmm.
I wondered the same thing about Magmas base...

It was initially designed for Nova, but it was issued with Magma to emulate her Lava powers.

So while the peg may not be the same shape as her foot hole, it still works for her.

It's actually VERY likely they were supposed to be white on the inside. But, like the same issue with Phoenix's original costume, "white" couldn't be printed as it would show through the next page and whatnot, so they were given a color instead. I'd put good money on the boots actually being white, not grey.

Captain Printerman says : "I'm not getting involved with what should or shouldn't have been but two things ought be borne in mind regards the actual comic-book printing of that period .The cover would have been a glossy 'art' paper which would be satisfactory for printing virtually any colour on it except white which is almost never used when printing on white paper,it's unnecessary because the white glossy paper conveys the white colours to the viewer's eye. The inside pages would have been printed on an uncoated matt newsprint which was in every respect inferior to the gloss art & incapable of allowing the same quality of reproduction. In a nutshell if you printed the same image on two sheets of paper....one gloss art & one matt newsprint...using the same machine/ink & printing plates you would get 2 staggeringly different results. Anybody in the Graphic Arts industry will be well aware that their Pantone colour reference guide has two sections ....one printed on gloss paper one on matt paper. In conclusion I'd say that although the Punisher's colours looks different on the cover it may well be for the aforementioned reason. Maybe."

bhm would like to add that many many comics then (& now) had covers that bore no relation to what was in the comic :thumbsup:

Okay... it's not that I dislike Rob Liefeld's work (which I do), or that I dislike this style of artwork in general (which I do), or that I think that period of comics is best left forgotten, as it is almost wholly without artistic merit and nearly killed the industry (which I do, because it was and it did)-- IT'S A FUCKING UGLY COSTUME. Seriously, it looks like it was made from old Country Time Pink Lemonade labels. Even if you make the arguments that "it fits the character" or "it's meant to be ugly" (which is the only reason I can think of to justify HAVING HER NAME WRITTEN ON THE SIDE OF HER TIGHTS), it's still just astonishingly ugly. Bad hairstyle too.

I'm know that these were formative comics for a lot of you, and that you've got lots of fond memories, but... no, I'm not gonna say any more. You've all got a right to your tastes and opinions. I'm glad you're getting your X-Force 'mates. Buy two; you can have mine.

LOL Seriously though, that is a hideouseriffic outfit and color scheme.

Captain Printerman says : "I'm not getting involved with what should or shouldn't have been but two things ought be borne in mind regards the actual comic-book printing of that period .The cover would have been a glossy 'art' paper which would be satisfactory for printing virtually any colour on it except white which is almost never used when printing on white paper,it's unnecessary because the white glossy paper conveys the white colours to the viewer's eye. The inside pages would have been printed on an uncoated matt newsprint which was in every respect inferior to the gloss art & incapable of allowing the same quality of reproduction. In a nutshell if you printed the same image on two sheets of paper....one gloss art & one matt newsprint...using the same machine/ink & printing plates you would get 2 staggeringly different results. Anybody in the Graphic Arts industry will be well aware that their Pantone colour reference guide has two sections ....one printed on gloss paper one on matt paper. In conclusion I'd say that although the Punisher's colours looks different on the cover it may well be for the aforementioned reason. Maybe."

bhm would like to add that many many comics then (& now) had covers that bore no relation to what was in the comic :thumbsup:

That makes sense to me! Cover was probably as it was intended. If nothing else, consider that the '70s weren't a period when comic characters were known for having neutral and modest color schemes. Contrasting the white with the black/blue of the rest of his costume makes more sense for that period.

Here's the issue with the X-Force 'mates; I understand not liking them, because of the design, but what some of us are saying is this:

The design of the figure is spot on for the character. You may hate the character design, but that doesn't make these bad 'mates, it just means you don't like the source material.

Example: I don't like the look of Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, but the Movies Masters figure is pretty damn good, as it's an accurate representation of the character design. Doesn't mean I want it, just that I can appreciate a job well done in translating the character to plastic. On the flip side, while I'm a fan of Nightwing, the recent figure based on his Arkham City appearance is a let down because the face sculpt is entirely too apathetic and the articulation far too limited. I don't want either figure, but there's a difference between the bad figure I don't want and the good figure I don't want.

Here's the issue with the X-Force 'mates; I understand not liking them, because of the design, but what some of us are saying is this:

The design of the figure is spot on for the character. You may hate the character design, but that doesn't make these bad 'mates, it just means you don't like the source material.

Example: I don't like the look of Bane in The Dark Knight Rises, but the Movies Masters figure is pretty damn good, as it's an accurate representation of the character design. Doesn't mean I want it, just that I can appreciate a job well done in translating the character to plastic. On the flip side, while I'm a fan of Nightwing, the recent figure based on his Arkham City appearance is a let down because the face sculpt is entirely too apathetic and the articulation far too limited. I don't want either figure, but there's a difference between the bad figure I don't want and the good figure I don't want.

Here, here!

This!

I find it that movie mates are easier for me to skip. Passed on movie Avengers figures (except that Hawkeye switcheroo pack) and didn't get a huge urge for movie Amazing Spidey figures (except the Spidey/PP set...).

But TRU waves...

Comic Spidey? Yes!

Translucent figure? Yes!

Bulky character with an overdue character redo that I don't have yet? Yes!

Characters that I don't care about but have awesome detail and look great? Yes!

Plastic.

Crack.

I hate you Zack.

(Not really, Zack. :) )

Wow, I wonder how you'd feel about me if you bought movie figures, too. Seems you're getting off relatively easy. I should have them make more translucent Movie 'mates.

...Wait, don't you keep them MIP? Surprised translucency is a selling point.

Normally Mondays are not my TRU day but a little yellow spikey halo thing appeared around my head as my toy senses went off and so I went up to my store in Orem and there they were two full boxes of wave 13! I think this is the first time that I have bought every pack in a TRU wave! This is a great wave!

I don't disagree at all; DST nailed Boom-Boom, it's just... well, the source material is what it is. I once took a life drawing class in college, and our model was... not pretty. I remember one of my classmates doing a drawing that was fairly... misshapen, and my teacher shrugged and said "well, that's Bonnie". Boom-Boom is the ugly-ass life drawing model of Minimates.

I'll take 90's comics over everything that came before it.

Bwahahahaha. Thanks for the humor, I needed a good laugh.

I'm puzzled, these seem to be out in full force on the east coast, but my store hasn't got them in yet, and they've restocked because the ASM 'mates showed up. Maybe this week...

Happened at my two TRUs as well, although I guess 25 miles in another direction they were spotted.

My trus seem to miss every other comic wave... especially when a new movie wave is around.

Glad I had a friend from another board hook me up... cost of shipping was worth not having to check every day to see if or when they show up.