UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRU Wave 13...IS OUT NOW!

Jatta Pake

I don't hate Bachalo's art at its base... I tend to favor and really like cartoony, over-stylized characters. I think that's awesome alot of the time... so I like that.

That said, I do distinctly remember being frustrated with some of his run on I want to say X-Men or Uncanny X-Men... where at times I thought to myself, "I can't make heads or tails of WTF is going on on this page." It was during the run where the team was Rogue, Cannonball, Iceman, Cable, Omega Sentinel, Lady Mastermind, Mystique and Sabretooth.

Though it might have been Ramos... I think he also worked on that run... and their styles are a bit similar.

Or both.

I think it was Bachalo though.

Anyway, my point is I think sometimes these overly-stylized guys need to pull it back a bit... because when they push it too far you sometimes look at the page and go, "Daf*q am I looking at here?"

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked again at his art from the recent X-Men series and I decided that I like his art unless it's a fight scene. Then, I seriously have no clue what's going on. Otherwise, I'm fine with it.

And as to wave 13, I'm not sure I've looked forward to any wave more than I have this one. It's really got that old-school balance to it that we haven't seen much in Minimates in awhile. I love themed waves, but this wave has just the right mix to be awesome.

Anyway, my point is I think sometimes these overly-stylized guys need to pull it back a bit... because when they push it too far you sometimes look at the page and go, "Daf*q am I looking at here?"

While I like Bachalo's art, I think it can be hit or miss from a figure standpoint. He always has good layouts though. I agree heavily about dialing it down some, especially in the case of Ramos; his stuff in Spectacular Spidey v.2 (which I honestly just kind of hated in general) had a panel where Nick Fury was yelling in such a way that it looked like his jaw was broken. He's dialed it back in his current ASM stuff and I'm enjoying his art a lot more without distracting thoughts like "why does Doc Ock have no chin or neck?"

To be on topic, I remember viewing the art sheets for at least Dani on the DST website but can't find them now; does anyone have a link?

Edited by lemonfreshviper22

i love him, he's great in Wolverine and the X-men! (also for those who havent read this, you NEED TO, this is HANDS DOWN the best comic series out there right now, every issue is fun, serious, comedic and bad ass)

any word on when these come out?? i put together a little display with all the rest of the New Mutants on it (with the O5 in the background) and designated spots for Dani and Magma. can't wait for it to be finished! i'm gonna hold off on an X-Force one til this set comes out, though, cuz 4 empty spots (i'm thinking of Siryn and Warpath... hoping they come together eventually!) is just too many.

and for the record... i liked Bacholo's art in the early Gen X issues, but don't really care much for it now. it's gotten too cartoony and exaggerated for my tastes.

speaking of Generation X... i'd love to see some mates from this series! it was my favorite for a long time, and still holds a special place in my heart. some might argue that the costumes are all too similar, but the characters themselves were so unique. would love a set with Synch, Husk, Chamber and Jubilee and another with Skin, Penance, Mondo and M! i really doubt we'll see any of them, though, as Gen X has basically been forgotten about...

Edited by CortherX

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Spidey movie mates come first, kind of like the LCS and TRU Avengers waves came out close together.

How will this Daredevil differ from wave 43?

It will be in a different box...

He'll be blind boxed...

That's awesome. Yeah, it will be the same as 43. Last TRU/LCS shared figure for the foreseeable future. Historic occasion. Buy multiples.