UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek The Next Generation 25th Anniversary

I'm really hoping we see ST:TNG Minimates announced at Toy Fair 2012. We've been seriously lacking in the SciFi Minimates department.

For fans of the show, a special bluray 4 episode disc will hit Jan 31 2012 with season 1 on bluray later in the year. It would be a perfect time for new Minimates!

Seems like Chuck has shut down every ask about new Trek mates, TNG or otherwise. For whatever reason, the franchise just didn't get any traction for them. It's a shame, but I suspect Picard will remain a lonely hermit, cruelly mocked by the OTS gang, never getting invited to their fancy parties with dancing green alien women and all-you-can-eat barbequed Gorn.

I still don't see why the shuttle won't make it into the vehicle line.

I'll speak politely here (particularly because who no one knows who'll be reading this, partially because I know my job didn't depend on the decisions made), but it does bother me a bit when companies make claims like 'we tried to get retailer support, but we couldn't' and not consider that maybe the way they marketed something was why the retailers didn't want what they were selling. I'm conviced that wave three killed the Trek MM line (with it's TOS retreaded characters) and then waves 4 and 5 showed that the line was still going in the same bad direction. If I was a retailer choking on tons of wave 3 (like some were/still are), I'd have stopped supporting the line also. It's just sad because I really think had it been handled differently it could have been a much more successful line.

Now I'm done beating a dead horse. Or dead tribble or whatever.

I don't think the tribble is dead, just resting. Hopefully the 25th Ann rekindles interest so we see a boxset in 2013.

Do a Worf, Data, Troi and Riker set. Follow with a Picard, Dr. Crusher, Wesley, and Q. (Will Weaton will carry this set). Next hit with Worf variant, Gordi, Lore, Tasha. There you've knocked out the crew and set the stage for a Previews Exclusive boxset with Locutis, Romulan soldier, Klingon soldier, and Federation deadshirt.

Other than seeing that cancelled wave of LOTR minimates, this is my most desired resurrection. I would love that shuttlecraft but having a full crew of TNG would be awesome and my wife loves TNG so much I would have to buy two waves so that she could have some too! Hopefully the 25th anniversary does something to put some interest back into these for retailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I figured it out to only have one set but get as many characters out of it as possible. It would be a four figure set. The set could be Riker, Troi, Data, and Worf.

You make Riker but have an extra head & hairpeice for Wesley Crusher.

You make Troi but have an extra head & hairpeice and lab coat with matching arms for Dr. Crusher.

You make Data but have an extra head & hairpeice for Chief O'Brien (or Barclay if you think O'Brien should not be made until we get DS9 mates).

You make Worf but have an extra head & hairpeice with Visor for LaForge.

This way you only have one set to sell but you can get people to purchase at least two sets but people like me would likely get four sets.

Then you can make a bonus exclusive set to have Guinan & Yar. Or there could be a Vilian Set as well: Klingon, Romulan, Ferengi and Q would be a great set that could be exclusive to say TRU.

I don't understand the concept that Star Trek is "retail poison". IF it's handled properly. The 2009 movie product was poorly made and over-exposed.

If you can "one and done" things like the Terminator tank, BTTF Deloreans, etc, why can't you sneak in a Shuttle Craft??

Star Trek SHOULD work. The original minimate run was not released in TRU. Understandably, TRU won't buy Trek because they still have 2009 movie garbage rotting on their shelves.

But Kirk & Spock are like Spidey & Wolverine - the sales numbers show they are the biggest sellers. But, Trek has very little kid appeal, especially when compared to Marvel. If DST didn't rehash the same characters so frequently I'm certain they would have a hit.

I truly hope TRU is willing to take a chance on STTNG with the big Blu-Ray push next year. If DST handles it right and aims for more character depth and less same-character rehashes, I'm certain they would have a big enough hit to rival their non-Marvel licenses. They should focus on STTNG for the 25th anniversary and later branch into the other shows for 2013.

Star Trek 2 bounces into theaters next summer. A couple of TNG box sets would be a safe way to test the waters with specialty stores. You know the big retailers will avoid ST merch next year. Increased interest + classic appeal = easy win. Moviemates would be a bust though.

TNG design work is already done. If successful DST gets another anchor brand to build on. Ghostbusters, BTTF, Universal Monsters, and Halo are winding down. DST needs another strong brand in the stable. Unless we see Star Wars or GI Joe announced, I think we will see a return of Trek Minimates. Nostalgia for TNG should build over the next few years. Just look at Will Weaton's rise in nerd culture recently. Brent Spiner even played himself last night on "The Big Bang Theory" and riffed on TNG.

• 1 month later...

About Picard being a lonely hermit I took the Commander Sisko body, Batwoman face and Harley Quinn hair and made myself an instant Janeway. Not really a custom just something I snapped together

About Picard being a lonely hermit I took the Commander Sisko body, Batwoman face and Harley Quinn hair and made myself an instant Janeway. Not really a custom just something I snapped together

post-6300-0-58972200-1321934230_thumb.jp

that QC Janeway is quite nice. Gonna have to "borrow" that ;) but I don't have a Harley so I'll have to come up w/ something else for the hair. Any suggestions?

I'm still holding out hope that Trek mates can make a comeback. There are tons of characters and variants I'd love to see. Then there's the Shuttle craft/pod, one from each show w/ a battle damaged version could give us 10 total, each w/ a different crew member. Heck, throw in movie versions (like the pod from Kirk's TMP inspection w/ Scotty) and that's gotta be good for a couple more anyway. Then there's always the Captains Yacht from Insurrection and the Delta Flyer from Voyager :biggrin:

To take things one step further, if there was ever a Minimate property that could support and would warrant playsets...it's Star Trek. A Bridge, Transporter Room, Sick Bay and Engineering Room from each show/movie would be amazing and would be the next logical (IMHO) step for Minimates after the vehicle line.

Hey I can dream right?

I have made a Janeway with the Commander Sisko body and Boomer's hairpiece and I forgot whose hand and face. I am in the process of trying to make a Deanna Troi but it is not going well with my attempt to make decals.

CaptainKathrynJaneway.jpg

I also made Captain Sisko from "Trials and Tribble-ations"

TrialsandTribble-ationsSisko.jpg

I wish they would make more TNG Minimates and DS9 Minimates. I would welcome Any New Non-Kirk and Non-Spock Star Trek minimates.

Edited by Captain Paco

Keep in mind that Sisko wore a Lieutenant's uniform in that episode. You should probably use a Sulu body or arms for him.

would have to use the Sulu torso and arms as opposed to just swapping the arms. the color of Kirk's uniform doesn't match the yellow used for Sulu and Chekov.

• 3 weeks later...

Keep in mind that Sisko wore a Lieutenant's uniform in that episode. You should probably use a Sulu body or arms for him.

would have to use the Sulu torso and arms as opposed to just swapping the arms. the color of Kirk's uniform doesn't match the yellow used for Sulu and Chekov.

I am going to make the correction but at the time I did not have an extra yellow uniform other than a Captain's but I am going to change once I get my second Sulu delivered. Thank you for the direction and advice.