UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates Central is 8! And Also Under New Ownership!

Danny

Hi all,

On 21st September 2003 a website was created called Marvel Minimates Central, dedicated to a niche line of 2" Lego figures of Marvel characters that had had a film or a new series of comics just that year.

That website grew and evolved as the Minimates brand evolved, with a proper domain name (dropping the "Marvel" prefix), a new server, covering more lines, and later adding some more reviewers other than just myself. It has been a massive part of my life for 8 years, either reviewing or latterly just running the website and putting up reviews that others have done. It's still the first hit that comes up when you type the word Minimates into Google :)

And now, today, Minimates Central is 8 years old! And it seemed somehow fitting that on its 8th birthday, I step away now.

I know some of you will remember the closure and subsequent 3 month hiatus Minimates Central took in 2007, I can assure you that this will not happen again. This is because our very own Minimates superstar, ace customiser, MMMV staff member, and owner of his very own Toy Store, Luke Porter, will be taking over the ownership and management of Minimatescentral.com.

He has been working on a redesign of the site with many new features, such as video reviews and social networking options, all in a much easier-to-read format. Bear with him as the rest of the hundreds of previous reviews are added into this new format.

I am incredibly lucky to be able to pass on Minimates Central to someone with such talent and enthusiasm for the Minimates brand and I am genuinely excited to see what else Luke has planned. Current reviewer and MMMV staff member Lurch77 will continue to provide top-notch reviews. Thank you to him for all his hard work since becoming a reviewer, and thank you to Rad and Sam for being the other two main reviewers over the last few years.

I hope you will join me in wishing Luke and Minimates Central all the best for the future. I am sure this new chapter in the life of the worlds biggest Minimates review resource will be a huge success!

Thank you and goodbye :)

It really bums me out to hear that you're stepping away Danny. Having experienced how time consuming it is just doing a small handful of reviews, the dedication you and Rad had to keep churning away at it was really praiseworthy. And for you to be maintaining the site on top of all that, just for the love of Minimates. . .impressive.

You've made one of the great contributions to Minimate fandom, and I'm personally very grateful for all you've done and will be leaving behind. Minimates Central was my gateway into collecting these little bastards to begin with, and I'm sure there are legions of others that got sucked into collecting the same way--some who post here and some who don't. Thanks for everything Danny. And good luck to Luke and Lurch as the site goes forward. At least you know the site's in good hands. :buttrock:

Edited by karamazov80

Best of luck to you Danny. I can say I've appreciated the efforts you have put into MC and your passion has been evident. I'm sure MC will be in good hands, but I know I'll miss them being yours.

The only other thing I can say is, what will it take to stop the monopolizing of all things Minimatey by Luke Porter? At this rate, he'll own MMMV within a few years and will stage a coupe to overthrow Chuck by the end of the decade.

Minimates Central was also my gateway drug into Minimates, and I have followed it since 2004. I am honored that Danny picked me to continue the site, and I hope you guys like the redesign. I have a long list of other features that I would like to add, but that is a discussion for another day. Currently there are around 50 classic reviews posted, and I will be adding more each week. We also have a new contest on the page to celebrate the redesign and to send Danny off with a bang, so make sure to throw your hat in the ring. The new site and the contest is the surprise that I have been hinting at for the last few days. :)

The only other thing I can say is, what will it take to stop the monopolizing of all things Minimatey by Luke Porter? At this rate, he'll own MMMV within a few years and will stage a coupe to overthrow Chuck by the end of the decade.

:whistling:

Thanks for everything so far, Danny! You did a great job and I really enjoyed MC a lot. Now seeing the big Minimate Monopolist taking it over I'm sure it goes to hell in a handbasket in no time it will be a permanently growing place of awesomeness. It's different and I'll miss the old school diy style of it, but I also know that I'll really enjoy all those little gimmicks Luke is adding. (For instance the user ratings!)

Danny - you are responsible for hours and hours worth of procrastination. I can't thank you enough.

I'm always amazed at what some people will do for others without asking anything in return. Thankyou.

MMC is in very good hands.

I look forward to putting off many hours of work to come :)

wait, "goodbye"? As in leaving more than just Central? Without Central, I never would have discovered Headquarters, which linked me to here, which lead to my harassment of these fine folks with useless Marvel information. So you see, it's all your fault!

Wish nothing but the best for you, and thanks for the valuable service.

Thank you Danny, for all your work on Minimate Central and spreading the gospel of Minimates. It was appreciated. And I can't think of someone better suited to take over the site besides Luke - he's passionate about Minimates and seems to be involved with everything Minimate -related on the web. Quite frankly, I'm expecting my customs site to be bought out by Luke in a couple of years.

Luke: is this the special news you were saving for Wednesday? (it's wednesday there now, right?)

Yes indeed, although I do have a custom-related surprise for Monday. :)

Quite frankly, I'm expecting my customs site to be bought out by Luke in a couple of years.

My current offer is $10 and a framed picture of a goat eating a pancake. :biggrin:

Danny and his site are the whole reason I got into Minimates. I was poking around on eBay looking for Spider-Man Legos, when I found these weird Minimate things. I got to wondering if there were any other ones and starting browsing the web. Minimates Central was at the top of the list, and I got to looking around and...

...my wallet has never forgiven me.

My current offer is $10 and a framed picture of a goat eating a pancake. :biggrin:

I shudder to think what the offer for MMHQ will be, assuming JP didn't gamble it away in a drunken bet again.

I'd hope it would at least include a picture of two fat twin goats riding motorbikes while eating a pancake. Anything less would be an insult.

Depends on the size of the pancake.

I don't know where you find the time Luke!

Dang, Luke. DST needs to seriously start paying you. I hope you don't over task yourself.

That is a concern IMO. If Luke gets burned out and quits, every Minimate-related web site (including stores) will go bust, and it will be anarchy in the streets!

Ah but you are all assuming that there is only one of me... grouphug.gif

may I ask why the link to the Ghostbusters Minimate Archive was removed from the links list?

Fixed! :)