UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

I love that moment in Avengers Disassembled when the entire gathered Avengers roster all stop to look at Spidey and ask him what he is even doing there. He quietly says he was swinging past the neighborhood.

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackal and Shang-Chi would be spiffy, but I'm hoping we'll get the red-robed classic Shang-Chi myself.

And the classic one would be so easy with the new "karate-shirt" piece for Ryu coming in the Marvel vs. Capcon line. Ideally we'd Classic Shang-Chi with modern Shang-Chi as the variant.

Edited by boyd

Yes, I know, the "5 different things" line's from Busiek and Perez's Avengers #1. Don't remember when exactly he was made a reservist, but I think it was during the Harris era. I was actually going to say in my last post "and yes, I know that Spidey was an Avengers reservist before Bendis came aboard, but he'd never been an active member of the team beforehand". You're not the only one around here that knows his comics. ;)

Sorry, HP. It's hard to know what folks do and don't remember, and I tend to default into knowledge dispensing mode. No dispersion of your knowledge was meant.

However I did look up Spidey's membership record because after posting I was immediately doubting my memory of when he joined. As near as I can tell it was around #316, circa 1990. (he was involved in a case with the team that ran from #314-318 and joined somewhere along in there) It was in a story by John Byrne ironically. (see, I didn't despise everything JB ever wrote during this period) Peter finally accepts membership, then steps down to reserve status when the case he was helping on was over two issues later. He reaffirmed membership during the major reorganization in #329. But really, he didn't help out anymore than he did before joining. And yeah, I looked it up online. Stories I know, issue numbers I'm not so good with.

An updated 2099 would be cool, and no ones saying we shouldn't have some reuse, but we can't lose sight of the fact that every retread takes a spot from a new character. Shocker has ONE costume, he doesn't need a retread. If they do another one it would probably be Ultimate Shocker, who looks nothing like the 616 version. Not every character merits a retread. They need to factor in both casual buyers

AND long term fans. If you missed out on Shocker the first time keep checking eBay, it doesn't warrant a new release just because some fans haven't got one yet. Retreads are for attracting new fans and improving mates who have

become dated, and no ones going to jump onboard for Shocker. And again, WE JUST GOT the Lizard after several years, and we're getting another one in a ASM wave, is a "Modern" version preferable to a new character?and if you think so, why? Cause I'm not seeing that logic.

I don't mean that I want a modern lizard but that DST Is gonna produce one either way. For shocker release him in his ultimate form. Heck why not make the whole wave

ultimate? Most of the ultimate characters have good designs. But I think that a sinister six box set would be cool. 4pack and tru 2pack. A maximum carnge box set too. So that's my wave and box sets:

Amazing spiderman wave

Lizard(modern)/spiderman

Curt Connors/Peter Parker

cage match Spidey/uncle ben's kille

Gwen Stacy /uncle ben's killer

(lizard should have a sculpted head and Peter should have his skateboard,camera and his oscorp card. Connors should have a new sculpted arm and some lab equipment.

Spidey should have some web accessories. The killer

comes with a gun and Gwen comes with a purse.

Sinister six box set:Dock ock,vulture,kraven,mysterio 2pack sandman and electro

Spidey comic wave:

Hammerhead/tombstone

Rhino/shield agent

Hobgoblin (new suit)/scorpion(new suit)

Ultimate rhino/shield agent

Tru miles/prowler

Tru bulked up venom/Spidey 2099

Maximum carnage box set: carnage demongoblin morbius doppelganger

That would be awesome for me at least

Edited by beta ray bill

My fantasy wave would include:

• Flash Thompson Venom / Spider-Man (Alex Ross concept version)
  • updated classic Sandman / bulked up classic Rhino
  • J. Jonah Jameson / Spider Slayer army builder
  • updated classic M.J (variant) / Spider Slayer army builder

I don't get the desire for all the updates at all. We've had four different versions of Sandman, what else is left to do with him? I don't get why you guys want redos more than new characters. I'd rather have Will o' the Wisp before on redo personally. Rhino needs it the most, let's get him redone before we start redoing every 'mate that ever was. Please don't give DST the idea that what we want is more retreads.

I'm with you Valo, whilst I agree certain characters need an upgrade...Rhino,DD.....I see no reason why we need a character like Sandman when we've had so many ? The latest Nightcrawler for example is an improvement on what I always felt was an overrated figure & placates anybody who struggled to find the original but must we truly have to have yet another (TRU 11) & put up with another Psylocke just to get him ? Let's have some justifiably necessary updates & some altogether new characters rather than wishy-washy retreads otherwise we'll be facing the prospect of a BD Aunt May/Uncle Ben set before we get a Falcon.

If we don't get a Falcon soon I'm out :verymad:

I guess I'm overly sensitive about the constant retreads because one of the 'mates I wanted most was Winter Soldier, but because of the constant movie waves and the wasted opportunity DST refused to utilize who knows if we'll ever get one. We still have no Falcon, no Baron Zemo, no Kang, so to hear people trying to stir up support for even more retreads than we already get is frustrating in a big bad way.

The first sandman was good but too plain with todays detailed standards. The second one was god awful so it doesn't even count. The movie ones are good but the human form one is too distinguishable to the movie and the sand form is excellent but id prefer to have mostly human version.

I would love a slightly more detailed comic version that comes with the attachments from the movie versions.

The sane goes with hydro man though id love to aee him include the explodey piece from the T-1000 and some of the arm blades from t-1000 cast in clear blue

I don't get the desire for all the updates at all. We've had four different versions of Sandman, what else is left to do with him? I don't get why you guys want redos more than new characters.

But we don't have a definitive comic Sandman. You can mostly piece one together out of the parts that are available, but DST could knock a new one out of the park. Sure, I'd like Morbius, Prowler, and Tombstone too (not Will o' the Wisp), but characters like Sandman are way more important for my Spider-man display.

The first sandman was good but too plain with todays detailed standards. The second one was god awful so it doesn't even count. The movie ones are good but the human form one is too distinguishable to the movie and the sand form is excellent but id prefer to have mostly human version.

I would love a slightly more detailed comic version that comes with the attachments from the movie versions.

The sane goes with hydro man though id love to aee him include the explodey piece from the T-1000 and some of the arm blades from t-1000 cast in clear blue

Ditto! I couldn't have said it better myself.

The movie version to me is dead on, and since all 'mates are in the same scale I feel it works perfectly with the comic series. If we got a new Sandman it would likely be the movie version with a different face. I don't see that as being a big seller personally. I think some of this comes down to very nitpicky desires, when the line has had four versions of one character and you're hoping for more as opposed to something new that just seems shortsighted to me. Hydro Man only exists as a mate because DST likes to throw in one obscure character to most boxsets and was only made because he could be pieced together from existing parts. Expecting new tooling to be devoted to him is a long shot.

Ditto! I couldn't have said it better myself.

Same here. Plus (as I have said before), some of the Spidey costumes we've gotten in the past like 2099 and Scarlet are two of my favourites and were lackluster in my opinion. While I could enhance them with spare parts etc., as others have said, DST could probably do a better job and getting the necessary duped can cost extra. I agree we need to see more characters, but I feel an enhanced/better portrayal of Scarlet means the same to fans like myself as getting other fan favourites.

I don't get the desire for all the updates at all. We've had four different versions of Sandman, what else is left to do with him? I don't get why you guys want redos more than new characters.

But we don't have a definitive comic Sandman. You can mostly piece one together out of the parts that are available, but DST could knock a new one out of the park. Sure, I'd like Morbius, Prowler, and Tombstone too (not Will o' the Wisp), but characters like Sandman are way more important for my Spider-man display.

But we HAVE Sandman! 4 of them! It's not my ^#&4ing problem that you aren't happy, so excuse me if I'm not willing to give up a spot for a character that I already have, when it could be used for someone that I need.

I can understand newer collectors wanting figures that they may have missed but I'm going with wanting new figures before redoes. Spidey has a big selection of friends and foes that could be made. For me I prob go for a more classic selection.

Beetle ( both classic big fingers and a more modern look)

Lightmaster

Will O Wisp

Prowler

Puma

Rocket Racer

Morbius

Tombstone

Hammerhead

Three figures for me that could do with an update are

Rhino (Big and Bulky)

Hobgoblin (Just really to get another style goblin glider now)

Scarlet Spider (Can now use black widow style bracelets and could do with a sculpted hoodie piece)

I just want to see a Flash Thompson Venom turn up some point soon.

There's so much potential for DST to knock this one out of the park!

If DST based it on a civilian Flash Thompson in wheel chair with 'half' legs, then had extras to turn him into Venom costumed Flash plus bulked up Venom... would this not be the greatest Minimate ever... 3-for-1!?

They did it with the last Eddie Brock Venom, giving him 3 looks.

Flash Thmpson Civilian Parts:

Flash Thompson head

Blonde hair

Black torso (with dog tag details)

Black arms x2

Flesh hands x2

Black crotch

Black 'half' legs (with pocket details)

Wheelchair

Flash Thompson Venom Parts:

Slip over black mask

Slip over body vest with logo (similar to movie Punisher)

Shoulder pad accessories x2

Black hands with white squares

Black belt with holster & gun

Black legs

Black boots

Knife and leg holster

Web line accessory

Machine gun accessory

Bulked Up Venom Parts:

Slip over Venom face

Slip over bulked up Venom torso

Bulked up upper arm accessories x2

Bulked up hand & forearms x2

Bulked up crotch :whistling:

Bulked up thigh accessories

Bulked up feet & shins

You could even use the Venom slip over mask and a few of the bulked up parts to create a Flash Thompson surcoming to the Symbiote. 4-in-1!

Hmmmm, too good... not gonna happen is it? <_<

But we HAVE Sandman! 4 of them! It's not my ^#&4ing problem that you aren't happy, so excuse me if I'm not willing to give up a spot for a character that I already have, when it could be used for someone that I need.

Overreact much?

I could write about how it's silly to even think a redo of a popular character is "taking" a spot from an obscure character, but let's just get a little perspective: People are getting bent out of shape at the idea of Hammerhead, Will o' the Wisp, Tombstone, etc getting pushed back or never getting made. Really? It's fantastic that these characters are even remotely possible. Are we so entitled that the possibility of not getting Prowler is a major affront?

I'm sorry. Did I miss the memo that said we needed people's permission to want things?

So some poeple, myself included, want another Sandman and Hydroman. I do not see why that's worth swearing at people. I am always in favor or new characters over redos, but I still want them at some point. Punisher explained why on Sandman very, very well. And quite frankly, for those of us who missed Hydroman's set it's just too darn expensive just for a 4th tier Spidey-villain. And no I don't think he's worth different tooling= X-Force Cannonball's base, the new Super Skrull stretch hand, and there you go.

I am not saying I want either more than Beetle or Hammerhead or Prowler or Boomerang. But I'd still like to see them at some point.

My ass is so sore from sitting on the fence ......I just think that after 4 attempts to make a decent Sandman I just hope that another one turns out to be the definitive one ,I have my doubts. I wanted a Vulture for years & waited in anticipation for a new Doc Ock what I was given was a Canary & Doc Cock in the Friends & Foes set ...I'm not even going to mention the other two characters ! The reality is however that that set sold out & became unobtainable very quickly ....unlike the Spider-Man 5-pack which didn't sell at all well despite being produced in tiny numbers. The 5 pack is by far the superior in every respect ,great Spidey ,iconic Hydro (although very breakable),a Sandman I liked ....&...er...two others ,one of which was that ridiculous looking Venom ......one of the improvements I've had to endure over the years. The goofy face on the standard Wave 2 Venom might look a tad dated these days but 'Tongue-Out Canadian' is just unbeatable...yep unbeatable....& whoever designed him made the best of his budget which is a rarity these days.

I'm lucky :confused: enough to be a completist & my perspective is perhaps different than a collector who just wants definitive versions of this or that ....& there's nothing wrong with that....but 'Minimates' will cease to be one day & when that day comes I want to have the core group of the characters I...me..me..me..I....I..I...me..I wanted & forgive me when I say that even I could make a decent Sandman out of the ones I have!

Why would anybody want another Hydro IF (big IF )they already had one ? Was there too much wrong with him ? I think not but that again is my opinion.

Edited by buttheadsmate