UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 43? - Spidey Comic-based

fwoosheyman

DST mentions on facebook in the comments there is a corresponding comic shop wave to go with the new Ultimate Spiderman TRU wave.

Someone submitted an idea for the comic wave and listed the following: morbius, modern lizard, shocker, tombstone, bulked up rhino, ultimate rhino. DST said they are going to do a couple of these.

Start your guessing on the lineup.

Edited by fwoosheyman

• Replies 884
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see a new scorpion mate with the new suit design. I would really like tombstone to be honest. An updated Mary Jane with lots of girly accessories? Kingpin would be cool. Umm...a new black cat? A new hobgoblin? They said in a DST that scarlet spider,Ben reily and toxin are on their 2012 schedule. A new carnage? A new bulked up Venom? Now wouldn't that be truly awesome? I would also like to see more ultimate mates. Most of the character designs were pretty neat.

I don't know why they mentioned Shocker, we have a perfectly good one already. Some of the Spidey mates I'd like to see most are Hammerhead, Beetle, Morbius, Tombstone, Molten Man, and I've always thought Boomerang would look awesome as a mate. If they do a bulked up Rhino that's fine, he should be bigger, but I don't think we need a bulked up Venom, the powerhouse chest version seems fine to me. Plus if they redo regular Venom they'd have to redo Anti-Venom and I'd rather see them focus on new characters. As far as non-villains go, the Prowler would be cool. And if we're going to get more versions of Spidey, Noir and Negative Zone Spidey would be really good as mates I think.

That new Miles Morales 'Mate isn't supposed to be out until 'Summer', so this could potentially be wave 44, 45, or 46 depending on where the "The Avengers" (May) and potentially "Ghost Rider 2" (Feb) falls in the Minimate release schedule. "The Amazing Spider-Man" releases in July, so we can assume there will be a corresponding Movie wave for that as well, and most likely a comic-themed supporting wave, which this release is likely to be associated with.

There's a very good chance we won't see any 'mates for the new Ghost Rider movie, but since Wave 42 is still due this year, 6-8 months without another released wave seems too long for DST's liking.

That said, I'm really hoping we get a couple of new characters, maybe Puma, and as others have mentioned Morbius, Prowler, Beetle.

A new Kingpin seems like a no-brainer to release with an updated red Daredevil.

Didn't Chuck say he wanted to do a Spidey Wave with a S.H.I.E.L.D agent Army builder? Do you guys think this is that wave?

Anyway, what I'm thinking it could be...

Spiderman Variant/Modern Lizard

Another spidey/Morbius

SHIELD Agent/Rhino

Vaiant SHIELD Agent/Ultimate Rhino

That's just my idea, though. The real thing will probably be MUCH different.

Edited by Smashmaster12

Morbius, Tombstone and big Rhino... yes please.

When they mentioned Miles would come with a 'classic Spidey villain', I automatically assumed it'd be big Rhino. Not entirely sure why.

I'd be happy with Kingpin, if it got us a new red Daredevil.

Lee Burns aside, I kind of like the new Flash Thompson Venom. Like the idea of a known good guy trying to use something "evil" to do something "good". It's something different from the symbiote. He's not a classic villain, but I wouldn't mind a mate of them.

That said Morbius, Hammerhead, Molten Man, and Beetle are the unmade Spider-villains I most want to see. Tombstone, Jackal, Boomerang, and Puma would be welcome too.

Rhino, Lizard, and Kingpin are most in need of a redo. From a purely financial standpoint, I would love an updated Hydroman. Although I know Sandman has had two 616 mates and two movie mates, I would not object to a updated 616 Sandman.

Spider-variants? the Amazing Bag-Man. It's time.

I asked about shocker,kraven and the other past releases cause they are very hard to find. And when you find them they are pretty expensive. Now a bulked up venom could be very cool cause in many Spidey comics venom towers him and he is huge. Also he looks more awesome and menacing ;) Carnage should have tendrils sculpted on him. Shocker should have a new electric accessory. Dock ock should be the ultimate one. Make kraven ultimate too.

Morbius and Puma I would like... and they could reuse the pumpkin head from that RGB 'mate for Jack O'Lantern. I would not at all be surprised if this wave sees Aunt May and Uncle Ben... perhaps May/Army Builder and Ben as the variant. I can't really imagine any retail market would be jumping at carrying an old people two pack, so splitting them up might be the way to go.

I dunno. Another all-Spidey wave would bug me, because we've already gone so deep into his friends and foes, whereas we're still missing major Avengers, not to mention arguably there greatest foe (you know who I mean). But I guess it's inevitable.

I'd be surprised if it didn't manage to tie in with Spider-Island in some way. Lots of Spider-Men running around and lots of enemies updated with Spider-Man powers. Chuck must be in heaven. And since it all loosely ties in with stuff like the Clone Saga, we could even shoehorn Kaine, Scarlet Spider, and others in some sort of accompanying sets.

I know what you mean, HP. I really do. But Spider-Man enjoys a recognition factor and popularity that only Superman and Batman can boast to exceed. Couple that with having the deepest bench of decent villians of any solo hero period, and yeah we're gonna get an annual Spider-Man wave. We Avenger-philes can take heart that Spidey is an Avenger, and a large number of his villains have appeared as members of various Masters of Evils.

Two things:

1- a new Flash Thompson Venom and a modern Jack o Lantern would be amazing. If those were released I'd die of pure ecstasy.

2- Didn't Chuck drop some hint a while back about working on a wave based on a 15 year old major comic storyline? If so, that leaves us with a Clone Saga wave (hello, Spider-cide), Identity Crisis (I wouldn't say no to some Slingers, would you?), The Gathering of the Five (um... Hello Scriers?), or some kind of mixture there of.

Here's hoping the former is truer than the latter.

I know what you mean, HP. I really do. But Spider-Man enjoys a recognition factor and popularity that only Superman and Batman can boast to exceed. Couple that with having the deepest bench of decent villians of any solo hero period, and yeah we're gonna get an annual Spider-Man wave. We Avenger-philes can take heart that Spidey is an Avenger, and a large number of his villains have appeared as members of various Masters of Evils.

And I don't disagree at all. And, as Beta Ray Bill has pointed out, there are always (hopefully!) going to be people getting in to Minimates that have trouble catching up. Also, I think the Spidey books are one of the places that DST has best exploited, by making nearly every major character without repeating them. They even managed to get us a J. Jonah Jameson! I just think, when we're talking about guys like Morbius and Puma, we've hit the third string, you know? And there are still a lot of first teamers out there. It's probably more an indication of how much DST has dropped the ball (yes, I've been watching football today :biggrin:) in exploiting the rosters of characters related to Cap, Thor, and Iron Man then anything. How is it that we haven't gotten one friggin' member of the original Masters of Evil yet? Well, I guess if you count Radioactive Man....

All that being said, my tastes do lean towards the obscure (I just spent the afternoon making a Killraven custom, after all), so I won't really complain if we do get deep into Spidey's rogues.

And Spidey may be an Avenger to you... but my Avengers continuity ends where Bendis begins. I don't even keep guys like Spider-Woman, Ares, and the Sentry with the rest of my Avengers. Screw you, Bendis! :tongue:

I empathize with the newer mate collectors, but I think all the talk of redoing several characters is very excessive. We just got Lizard, and are going to get another in the ASM movie wave. Let's not forget every redo takes the place of a potential new character, which we all claim to want. Don't send DST the wrong signals by asking for redos of every character. We know Zach Oat reads the board, so we are heard. Kingpin, Rhino-Definitely could use it. The Lizard, Shocker-Not so much.

Oh, and I would love a Clone Saga box set: Scarlet Spider, Kaine, Jackal and whoever else.

A spider wave that I'd love to see would include:

Cyber Spider-Man & Calypso

Black Cat & Puma

Hobgoblin/Demogoblin (2 head blocks) & Black Tarantula

Hobgoblin/Demogoblin (2 head blocks) & Nightwatch

TRU Tie in

Cyber Spider-Man & Calypso

New Spider-Man & Bulked up Rhino (Non-sticker Exclusive)

Vulture (young) & Black Rose (Exclusive)

Jack O'Lantern & Morbius (Exclusive)

They 37 lizard was the silver age one so a modern will be made. And spidey's villains are among the best if not the best in cb history. Some repeats are necessary. They could use another costume for shocker,the new suit for scorpion and so on. Use new and exciting costumes for characters that may appeal to the general audience. Only fans can't keep a line going. We need the general market. Kingpin should come with an updated red daredevil. Hammerhead should have the frank head fro UM. The chameleon could use more detail. A new Spidey 2099 would be cool. Actually a 2099 would be cool.

An updated 2099 would be cool, and no ones saying we shouldn't have some reuse, but we can't lose sight of the fact that every retread takes a spot from a new character. Shocker has ONE costume, he doesn't need a retread. If they do another one it would probably be Ultimate Shocker, who looks nothing like the 616 version. Not every character merits a retread. They need to factor in both casual buyers AND long term fans. If you missed out on Shocker the first time keep checking eBay, it doesn't warrant a new release just because some fans haven't got one yet. Retreads are for attracting new fans and improving mates who have become dated, and no ones going to jump onboard for Shocker. And again, WE JUST GOT the Lizard after several years, and we're getting another one in a ASM wave, is a "Modern" version preferable to a new character?and if you think so, why? Cause I'm not seeing that logic.

I hate to bring this thread down to earth but are there that many villains from the Spidey-verse ....& more to the point are there that many we haven't had as Minimates? Why not chuck ( ;) ) Man-Wolf into the frame ? Howzabout a Morbius,Man-Wolf & an Adrian Toomes Vulture ? Now before I'm swamped with "but we've had an Adrian Toomes Vulture ?" .....check out his face because he looks FA like the Ade Toomes I remember & looks exactly like Blackie Drago sans hair . Always thought it never said it.

I think the Lizard push is for the minimate faction that really wants a sculpted head Lizard as opposed to the standard cylinder we got.

Actually, HP, Spidey formally joined the Avenges back in 1991, but the Bendis era is his longest stint on the active roster. Up til now, he's been a reservist. He even arrived for the all hands on deck meeting of the Avengers when they got back from the Franklin-verse. Of course Spidey begged off being included on the actual mission because he had "what felt like 5 things going on right now". (Peter had five different titles at the time) But Spidey as an Avenger is not Bendis' doing.

Ironically, of Bendis' Avenger additions, the only ones not considered for membership previously by other writers were Dr. Strange, Iron Fist, and Wolverine. And Echo, who doesn't count cause she didn't exist long before Bendis came on the scene. Spider-Woman, Luke Cage, and Daredevil were all on folks like Stern and Engelhart's wish lists for membership but were vetoed for various editorial reasons.

I hate to bring this thread down to earth but are there that many villains from the Spidey-verse ....& more to the point are there that many we haven't had as Minimates? Why not chuck ( ;) ) Man-Wolf into the frame ? Howzabout a Morbius,Man-Wolf & an Adrian Toomes Vulture ? Now before I'm swamped with "but we've had an Adrian Toomes Vulture ?" .....check out his face because he looks FA like the Ade Toomes I remember & looks exactly like Blackie Drago sans hair . Always thought it never said it.

Oooh, I forgot Man-Wolf! Good call!

It'd be neat to get Blackie Drago as Vulture, but he needs the hood to be complete. And as much of a sucker I am for the Romita, Sr. run on Spidey, I'd still like to see all new villains released first... with the exception of classic Rhino.

Actually, HP, Spidey formally joined the Avenges back in 1991, but the Bendis era is his longest stint on the active roster. Up til now, he's been a reservist. He even arrived for the all hands on deck meeting of the Avengers when they got back from the Franklin-verse. Of course Spidey begged off being included on the actual mission because he had "what felt like 5 things going on right now". (Peter had five different titles at the time) But Spidey as an Avenger is not Bendis' doing.

Yes, I know, the "5 different things" line's from Busiek and Perez's Avengers #1. Don't remember when exactly he was made a reservist, but I think it was during the Harris era. I was actually going to say in my last post "and yes, I know that Spidey was an Avengers reservist before Bendis came aboard, but he'd never been an active member of the team beforehand". You're not the only one around here that knows his comics. ;)

Edited by hellpop