UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DCnU

AdyCarter

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a cool costume, but the whole look and tone is so, so wrong for Capta... Shaz... Captain Marvel.

Just seen your last post about Red Robin as well, Fiend. Completely agree, a load of bollocks, looks like some sort of steam powered owl suit. Was a great original design, and Yost's run with Drake was one of the best series I've read.

DC are a mess, it is such a shame to see these wonderful characters I grew up with, in such a state.

I'm not really a fan of any of the new costumes, but they've almost all been designed by Jim Lee, and I've never really cared for his design work.

I haven't read any of these books yet (I'm strictly a wait for the trade guy these days), but the relaunch has been a great success so far. DC's had the top ten comics each of the last two months; moreover, many of the second-tier titles have begun to level out at about 20k more then they traditionally sell. Marvel's managed to maintain a lead in overall dollars by a small percentage, but that's mainly due to pumping out much more product, mostly at a higher price point. So Marvel's working harder for slightly more return.

Comic books in 2012 are entirely driven by stunts and gimmicks; well, relaunching the entire damn line is the ultimate stunt, and so far it seems to be paying off. The real test comes when DC begins to launch the next wave of titles, without the benefit of said stunt.

Guess I'm an idiot then, I think Animal Man, Action Comics and Wonder Woman are all excellent books. Superboy and Supergirl are good too, certainly better than they were before the reboot.

That's all I'm reading, but going by reviews it seems like there's the same mix of good and bad comics as there always is at DC or Marvel. Rebooting the universe doesn't make good writing/art suddenly bad.

Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Batwoman, Batman Beyond, and Nightwing have all been quite enjoyable. Birds of Prey, to some extent as well. I find some amusement in the fact that their best books right now are not heavy-hitters and are mostly female-leads.

Besides that, the 52 is crappy with even worse writing.

i m not as comic savvy as i was. but as a reader i have enjoyed the out of mainstream stuff that i have seen, then the reboot totality

The stuf draged from flashpoint Frankenstien etc are to me better then the new armored super man

Guess I'm an idiot then, I think Animal Man, Action Comics and Wonder Woman are all excellent books. Superboy and Supergirl are good too, certainly better than they were before the reboot.

That's all I'm reading, but going by reviews it seems like there's the same mix of good and bad comics as there always is at DC or Marvel. Rebooting the universe doesn't make good writing/art suddenly bad.

I only (partly) jest cat, please don't take it personally or seriously. I'm just really disappointed with the entire 'premise', feels like Johns has had a complete brainwrong... you know what they say about absolute power.

For what it is worth, I have heard nothing but good things about Animal Man and Wonder Woman.

Nice one, chief.

All jokes aside, I suppose it is somewhat worrying how much we rely on little yellow faces to express our true intentions.

Like I said, I keep getting told by a reliable friend that WW and AM have been very good indeed... I'm sure I'll get around to it.

• 1 month later...

So, sorry for the thread necro, but this is really cool. Finally, something DC has over Marvel:

Television commercials.

Wait, what? I was watching Battlestar on BBC just now, and all of a sudden, in live HD quality, a commercial for DC Comic's The New 52 starts playing. I t was beautiful, like one of their Motion Comics. The entire thing was really, really well done, and i am impressed.

They really are trying i'll give them that. I'll see if i can find it on Youtube, this was really cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Since they're going by Diamond figures, I'm guessing that doesn't include online sales? Back when they rebooted, it seemed like the new readers market they were really trying to tap into was the huge number of iPad owners, moreso than bringing back lapsed floppy readers, with more of an eye to the future of the industry. I'm not sure they release online sales data though.

I still think Wonder Woman's great, but Action Comics and Animal Man are dragging a bit for me lately, and Superboy got sucked into that old DC crossover nonsense where I didn't know what was going on because I'm not reading the other books.

Nope, no online sales, just Diamond, so that doesn't include figures from other outlets either (like those horribly gnarled comics I see in TRU <_<). But it's safe to say digital hasn't been making that big a splash, or DC would be bragging about it everywhere.

The New 52 has to be considered at least a short-term success, in that it pulled DC out of a deep tailspin, pulled them even with Marvel, and boosted several titles to their highest sales in ages. Still, enthusiasm definitely seems to be waning, and it remains to be seen if Marvel has taken back all DC's momentum with AvX, or if we're now on some kind of ever-shrinking see-saw between the two.

Nope, no online sales, just Diamond, so that doesn't include figures from other outlets either (like those horribly gnarled comics I see in TRU <_<). But it's safe to say digital hasn't been making that big a splash, or DC would be bragging about it everywhere.

The New 52 has to be considered at least a short-term success, in that it pulled DC out of a deep tailspin, pulled them even with Marvel, and boosted several titles to their highest sales in ages. Still, enthusiasm definitely seems to be waning, and it remains to be seen if Marvel has taken back all DC's momentum with AvX, or if we're now on some kind of ever-shrinking see-saw between the two.

I dunno, DC doesn't really understand the bragging concept. "Look at our new gay guy, guys!! Ohhh we're so progressive and cool!! ...Guys??" :rolleyes:

I'd be willing to be digital sales aren't doing too well. The reboot is starting to fail more as the books progress. Superboy is such garbage now that they used to try and sell other books. Court of Owls, while interesting, is the same in every book so that's lacking. I really only want to follow:

Animal Man

Batwoman (I LOVE this book)

Wonder Woman

Batman/DK/Detective (quality varies in all 3)

Nightwing

Aquaman

JL (Geoff is making it so hard to enjoy)

GL

Flash

GA (dropping it if it doesn't pick up soon)

Batman/JL Beyond

That's 14 books. Of 52. Many of which DC gave up on. Considering my pull list was practically everything from DC, that is called failure.

Well, no offense, TTF, you're swell and all, but you're just one guy.:) DC's still doing better then they were, but they were doing so bad for so long (the Superman books, at one point, were literally selling at their lowest level in the character's entire history) that it's hard to know how long the boost will last. Jury's still out, for sure.

If you're interested, the Beat has a sales analysis every month; here's the most recent, but a new one should be up any day now.

Yeah, the DCNU is really in a rough patch. There is some really, really good stuff there. I'm looking at you, Animal Man and Wonder Woman. Easily my two favorite DC titles and two of my most anticipated titles each month. The Dark titles are good quality-I also really enjoy Swamp Thing and JL Dark (and Wonder Woman seems to fit there more than the non-dark titles.) Sad to say, but a lot of the marquee titles aren't so hot. I'm not really enjoying Superman, Action Comics, Justice League, JLI, and half of the Batman titles. The Green Lantern books are maintaining where they've been headed, as are Batman and Robin and Batman Inc, and they're all still fine reads.

So... the best titles, imo, are the ones that either weren't affected or were only slightly affected by the reboot from a story standpoint, except for Wonder Woman.

That said, the reboot got me back into the LCS on a weekly basis, buying issues rather than trades. I'm certainly buying plenty of DC titles, and plenty of Marvel titles as well. So while some stories may not be great, it was a brilliant business decision.

Edited by Turtle

The last DCNU I got was Earth 2 and Worlds Finest. I actually enjoyed Worlds Finest and will keep an eye on it. Earth 2 while good If it doesnt kick off big I could easy let go.

I've said before I liked the new stuff from the reboot not the retakes on the main characters. I flicked through copies of Teen Titans and is it Ravengers? (its got some Gen13 characters in it) and the art nearly made my eyes bleed all neon edged costumes and mashed togther panels, it put me right off.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Geoff Johns was like seriously man, you need to learn to draw feet! Take a flipping community college class, we'll pay for it, just come on, FEET, man, my kid can draw feet! And that was the last straw. Rob is an ar-teest and doesn't take that crap from writers.

Plus, I guess he's making a new X-Men X-Force Youngblood Some Other Derivative Bullshit movie. With vampire hitman superheroes, I guess?

Edited by Lobsterman

Using the departure of Rob Liefeld as the sole measure, I'd say that, yes, they are running the company the right way.

Really, though, it sounds like he was pissed that there was a lot of editorial oversight, which really shouldn't have been a surprise.

Edited by Turtle

New 52 has actually been pretty great from a story telling view point, so i feel this, if anything, gives it more of a boost, Liefield is awful, maybe he just though he was better then he is and decided to leave.

I am one of the more vocal anti-Liefeld members here, and i must say, if you can drive Rob Liefeld to quit you need to reevaluate your Editorial Staff. I follow Rob on Twitter and while his art is atrocious and he has a giant ego, he's a really great guy who genuinely loves comics both as a fanboy and an artist, and loves his fans. I respect who he is for that, and it is pleasantly surprising to see him actually take initiative and leave.

Quite frankly, i imagine the current high-up DC management is full of douchebags unhappy with title performance at this point. They're running out of titles, regardless of how good other sales are. Honestly...Grifter? I hope DC sees Rob leaving as more of a learning experience for them.

All that said, Wonder Woman is better than she's been in years. Loving it.