UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Summer Movies '11: The Best and Worst

Punisher

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite movies this summer?

Here's my top 5 best(in no particular order):

1. Super 8

This movie was so much fun, I couldn't find a single thing wrong with it.

2. Captain America

Easily my favorite Marvel super hero movie yet, I had a blast watching

3. ROT Planet of the Apes

I had low expectations, but damn were they wrong.

4. Horrible Bosses

This movie was freakin' hilarious! nuff said.

5. Harry Potter 7 pt 2

Come on, do i need to expain this one?

Honorable Mention: X-Men First Class: This exceed my expectations more than Planet of the Apes. I thought it would be the worst X-Men of the 5 but it's the best, and one of the best super hero movies of all time,

Aaaaand the worst (in no order after 1):

1. Spy Kids 4

I did not see this movie, but from the trailer alone, I can tell it's literally the worst movie ever made, so it makes the top. Rodriguez should be ashamed for making such garbage, even if it makes him enough money to make good films.

2. Thor

I didn't hate this movie, but it makes the list for being a huge let down. Could have been so awesome, but I felt cheated after watching.

3. Hangover 2.

Wow what a god-awful follow-up to a genuinely funny movie. I vote this the worst sequel of all time.

4. Green Lantern

I didn't know a big budget action movie could be so boring. A character who is basically a space-policeman only spent like 20 minutes in space. The effects were garbage, the action was garbage, the climax was horseshit. Need i go on?

and tied for 5th: Pirates of the Carribean, Transformers 3, and Cowboys vs. Aliens

I didn't hate any of these movies but honestly they are completely forgettable and do nothing for me besides 2 hours of shutting my brain off inside the air-conditioned theatre.

cannot believe you really think Thor was the 2nd worst film this summer... quite probably the best.

X-Men: FC, Rise of the Apes and Captain America were right up there as well, as was Rabies (the first Israeli horror movie).

as for worst, I couldn't say, I don't really go to see bad films.

cannot believe you really think Thor was the 2nd worst film this summer... quite probably the best.

X-Men: FC, Rise of the Apes and Captain America were right up there as well, as was Rabies (the first Israeli horror movie).

as for worst, I couldn't say, I don't really go to see bad films.

i'm not sure i can order them - but XMFC is in my top 5 for this year.

You know what else i found surprisingly good? Bridesmaids. O_o I really expected a big steam pile'o'carp, but found myself laughing out loud many times throughout the film.

ROTPOTA was also good fun. Ridiculous, but good fun, none the less. I wouldn't really have it in my top 5 - but so far, nothing else seems to be pushing it out.

Green Lantern was one of the most laughable films i've seen. And i'm someone who was willing to 'suspend disbelief' in Batman & Robin! If this thing doesn't get a few Razzie noms, i'll be very surprised.

Horrible bosses hasn't come out here yet, but it is one i'm looking forward to.

Best

1. Harry Potter ties with Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

Harry was everything I wanted and more. Rise of the Planet of the Apes managed to absolutely blow my mind and give itself the edge it needed to hit near the top of my list.

2. X-Men First Class

Holy brickshits man. It was an absolutely phenomenal movie. Incredible acting.

3. Captain America/Thor tie

Who'll whip the giant attacking America? We know it's no one but Captain America! And it won't be anyone but Captain America! This movie was without a doubt one of the biggest surprises this summer. But Thor, who I had very high expectations for, I think managed to hold his own making for a really quite cool movie that deserves to be on the same level as his Avengers teammate. Plus Loki may be among the best characters this summer.

4. Super 8

Though it manages to capture Spielberg well I was really hyped about this one and found it really good, but not the absolute darling that the critics did. Sure it's worthy of any top 5 or 10 list this year. But at the same time, it didn't entrap me like Cap, Thor, X-Men, Potter, or the Apes.

5. Transformers 3!

Dude, the explosions were awesome and rad and Michael Bay is a genius and giant robots kicking ass and stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D!!!!!!!!!!!:)!!!!!!!!!lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Real #5. Cowboys and Aliens

I'll admit it: I f**king dug the hell out of this movie. Seriously. I wanted a damn fun movie with Daniel Craig and Harrison ford kicking the s*** out of aliens and I freakin GOT IT. I'm satisfied and it earns a spot on this top 5.

Worst

1. FUCK YOU MARTIN CAMPBELL! I mean... Green Lantern

SO MUCH WASTED POTENTIAL! The reason it tops this list is because Green Lantern damn well should have been good. Everyone knew Transformers was going to suck. EVERYONE. But Green Lantern really had the potential to be INCREDIBLE and we got... that. That abomination.

2. Transformers 3

I will admit, at the last hour, I was hooked on Transformers 3. Unfortunately that one hour was compounded with a few more of absolute SHIT. I will be getting the blu-ray of this film, I'll be honest. But that's because once Optimus Prime walks into Chicago and pumps his shotgun and says "We will kill them all." the movie becomes what I wanted: A Transformers movie.

3. The Hangover Part II.

I'll admit they named this movie well. Because as a second part of a movie they can have it be the same damn movie again. And that's what it was. Did it waste my time? Absolutely. Did it use Kim Jeong better than Transformers 3? Yeah. And that's why it ranks higher than that movie.

4. Larry Crowne

This ranks here simply because of my incredibly telling lack of opinion on this film. Until I went through my archive for 2011 I kinda forgot it happened. I like Tom Hanks. I mean seriously like Tom Hanks. He's one of my favorite actors of all time. And this movie did him a disservice. Plus it was begging to be the last Med Ryan/Tom Hanks teamup honestly. Though through its use of George Takei (who was AMAZING in this.) it ranks higher than Hangover 2

5. Pirates 4

This is here simply because it's the only movie I saw this summer that hasn't been listed yet besides Horrible Bosses which was undoubtedly better than this. It's not a bad movie I don't think. It's certainly better than Pirates 2 or 3. I certainly had fun going to the midnight showing on a total whim (seriously just did it with the excuse of "why the hell not?") But it doesn't deserve a spot on the top 5 and I guess that makes it just go here.

Edited by Trekker 42

I didn't see that many new films, but of them, the best was probably X-Men: First Class, then Thor, then Captain America. Worst was Pirates of the Caribbean, though it wasn't as bad as the critics portrayed it to be IMO. I think that's all I saw. Waiting for DVD to see GL and Planet of the Apes. I've only seen 1 1/2 of the Harry Potter movies or so, so I'm really behind on those.

Best newly discovered older movie I've seen is probably the Conversation. I'd seen bits and pieces over the years, but never watched the whole shebang until recently. That movie does as good a job as any I've seen at creating an atmosphere of paranoia. Runner up is Jeremiah Johnson. And it ain't great, but pretty good. Worst was Streets of Fire. Unless you think seeing an extremely sexy Diane Lane in a couple scenes is enough to see a movie (and, maybe it is :) ), then skip this one. I did feel, sadly, that the main character was a big influence on Mal Reynolds of Firefly fame, though I doubt Whedon would admit it. One of Willem Defoe's most ridiculous performances ever, though he was actually not half bad in it.

Edited by karamazov80

Midnight in Paris is easily my favorite movie of the year so far, and one of my favorite Woody Allen movies. A true gem. Nessex, I'm with you on Bridesmaids. That was hilarious. Captain America was the perfect summer popcorn flick. X:FC set a new bar of X-flicks. Thor was good fun, well-acted and well-put together, but it and Cap (Cap less so simply for its fun factor) felt like they were building more towards sequels and Avengers than they needed to. And there you have it. Those are the movies I've seen this year. Apparently when you have a kid, you start making more discerning movieVgoing choices.

I'm only listing things I saw...

BEST:

Captain America, this one gets the top spot for me. It was funny, had great action, AWESOME casting, everything I could ask for from a superhero movie. The rest of the best will be in no order.

X-Men First Class, which was a total surprise for me. I was expecting "meh" and got a fantastic movie.

Thor, I think there's a pattern to the movies I like...

Harry Potter 7 part 2, not much to say, was good.

WORST:

Pirates 4, I might call this better than Pirates 3, which I like but is my least favorite of the series, but only because it was SHORTER than the others. It was just so pointless, make up a sequel to the Pirates of the Carribean series right now in your head, there you made this movie. Also my favorite thing about the pirates movies is Barbossa, and he wasn't at his Barbossiest until the last 5 minutes or so.

Green Lantern, which I kinda liked. My problem with this movie was that I saw potential in the final result for a good movie, Ryan Reynolds was OK, Mark Strong was AMAZING, but it's like something happened in editing and post that put together a pile of crap. It's like if the entire movie was that 10 minute sequence where Hal was on OA, it would have been a lot better.

Glee Live 3d, Yeah, I saw this, I like Glee, what of it? This one was simple, if you like the show you like the movie. If not, duh. Though, I was kinda annoyed and thought the whole thing was pointless for me to see cause I had already been to the concert.

Aaaaand I think that's it for movies I saw. I'm really dissapointed I never got to see Cowboys & Aliens.

I'm very proud of myself for never getting excited about Transformers 3, and never feeling the urge to see it. Not after what happened last time...

Edited by Shamrock

X-men First Class and Cap take two of the Top Three spots for me, they were VERY good all around, and i was shocked that i liked FC so much that i made it the first movie i saw twice in theaters. Bacon's Shaw was fantastic.

The third?? Friends with Benefits. I adore the hell out of Mila Kunis (favorite actress, thank you That 70s Show) and while i wasn't thrilled with Timberlake being in it before viewing, after he was absolutely perfect in the role. What a great, fun movie, i recommend it.

from what I saw my 3 favorites:xmen first class,Rise of the planet of the apes,Final destination 5(I'm actully serious,as a fan of the series,the twist made the movie the best of the series in my opinion. Worst:spy kids 4D(scratch 6 to smell shit!),Pirates 4(I was extremely bored throughout) and for 3,well I avoid shit movies so there's that

When I read you guys were talking about "Horrible Bosses" I asked myself why I haven't heared about the movie at all. And then I realized it was one of those cases where the poeple in charge here thought, they couldn't use the English title, becuase a lot of people might not understand it. That's OK. What's not OK is to instead of translating the title into German, they come up with a different English title. So the movie's called "Kill the Boss" in German and I was sure that's the original title. :wacko:

Best:

X-Men: First Class - Total surprise of the summer for me. Didn't expect much (after X3, especially) but ended up getting the best X-film yet.

Captain America: The First Avenger/Thor - A tie for me. Each film has its own flaws but together they are some of the most fun CBM films around, just like the Iron Man films and Incredible Hulk.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - Really enjoyed this even with Voldemort's overacting. (NNNNNYYYAAAAGGGGHHHH!!!)

Worst:

Pirates of the Carribean: On Stranger Tides - Wow, what a dull movie. I've never been a fan of the Pirates franchise but MAN. The priest/mermaid subplot was terrible. It was worse than the boring Orlando Bloom stuff in the previous three movies. I'm pretty much done with this franchise now.

Of what I saw Captain America was my favorite. Then XMFC, followed by Thor. Heard nothing but high praise for Super 8, so I'll include it. Too many movies this summer, not enough budget.

Worst were Green Lantern (CG suit=bad idea, and either the script was really choppy or the editor needs to never work again), and TF3 (just for sheer offense of making Optimus the most ruthless villian in the film. Blow up Chicago to prove a point, then killing surrendering opponents... yeah that's heroic.)

Best:

X-Men First Class - my expectations were sooo low for this movie and it turned out to be one of the best movies this year; other movies should take notes from this one: good story, great acting (Michael Fassbender :buttrock: ), good special effects but not overbearing that you can't see what's going on, in GLORIOUS 2D!!!!!

Thor / Capt America - a tie for me too; good stories, very fun to watch and great job with casting the characters (I think Loki was played brilliantly, I'm so looking forward to the Avengers)

Pirates 4 - Ok so I had rose colored glasses for this one; it had been so long since my wife and I had been away on a vacation without our kids, we saw an early matinee show during a weekday (A WEEKDAY MATINEE!! :woot:) after having a nice quiet lunch (with free appetizers); it was just a good day; I checked my brain at the door and I enjoyed the movie!

So-So:

Harry Potter 7 pt2 - I guess I was just having a bad day when I saw this, either that or just sad for it to be at an end, I don't know; it was just meh

Worst:

Green Lantern - I enjoyed that my daughter had fun seeing this and I also liked Sinestro in this movie; the rest I either blocked out or missed because I fell asleep due to boredom

Cars 2 - I had free tickets to this movie and I still feel jipped

the rest:

Looking forward to catching the rest on DVD. I will happily pay my $1 rental for Transformers 3 and relish the fact that I saved $20+ for tickets + $15+ for snacks/drinks + $20+ for childsitting AND I'll be able to fastforward through the Michael Bay "humor" parts :P

So-So:

Harry Potter 7 pt2 - I guess I was just having a bad day when I saw this, either that or just sad for it to be at an end, I don't know; it was just meh

I forgot about HP. I kind of feel the same. I think, for a movie, it felt weird since it really was Part 2. It was good, but it really didn't feel like a complete movie. I'm looking forward to watching both parts together.

By no means do I think it was the 2nd worst. It just makes my list because I had such high expectations going in to see it and I just felt as If they were let down. I still enjoyed it and will most likely buy the DVD, but compared to all the other Marvel movies in the past few years it just fell short, and lacked the fun and exciting comic aspect IMO.

Best:

X-Men First Class - my expectations were sooo low for this movie and it turned out to be one of the best movies this year; other movies should take notes from this one: good story, great acting (Michael Fassbender :buttrock: ), good special effects but not overbearing that you can't see what's going on, in GLORIOUS 2D!!!!!

Amen to all of that - but ESPECIALLY to the 2D! I can not tell you how much i dislike 3D at the cinema. I don't mind if once in a while the option is there, but my local Theatre will have all of the blockbbust action films on in 3D and none in 2D, save for a couple of midday sessions. You are forced to either take the day off work to see a movie or watch it in 2D.

I'm convinced that no-one loves 3D *that* much, it's just a case of not being given a choice.

If you held a 2D session and a 3D session of Thor at the same time at the same cinema, i am convinced that the 2D would sell out first.

Thankyou fox for making X-Men 2D!

(sorry, rant over).

Bottom line - XMFC rocked. set design was brilliant and the soundtrack kicked @ss. It was like a james bond film with mutants.

First Class was totally a Superhero Bond Film! I'm convinced that when Craig hangs up the tie, Fassbender needs to be James Bond. Either that or have Fassbender play a Bond villain opposite Craig. I'd prefer to have him play James Bond, but if Craig isn't stopping anytime soon Fassbender could do with playing a Bond villain.

There were some movies this year I just felt I may as well see in 3D. Potter I saw four times. Twice in IMAX (our IMAX theater is actually really reasonably priced) and I thought the 3D, when it was obvious, was actually really good. Transformers I saw in 3D because I figured it may well be worth it. Not really it wasn't, but the fact that the 3D video quality was better than the 2D video quality made it worth the incredibly cheap 3D. (I think they honestly forgot to charge me for the 3D accidentally. So who cares. If they did remember it only cost a dollar... Anyway this summer's 3D intake i heard was abysmal... I wonder if another summer or two of this might just kill the format.

Best:

Amen to all of that - but ESPECIALLY to the 2D! I can not tell you how much i dislike 3D at the cinema. I don't mind if once in a while the option is there, but my local Theatre will have all of the blockbbust action films on in 3D and none in 2D, save for a couple of midday sessions. You are forced to either take the day off work to see a movie or watch it in 2D.

I'm convinced that no-one loves 3D *that* much, it's just a case of not being given a choice.

If you held a 2D session and a 3D session of Thor at the same time at the same cinema, i am convinced that the 2D would sell out first.

Thankyou fox for making X-Men 2D!

(sorry, rant over).

I totally agree with you. We have the same situation here in Germany. Most of the blockbusters are only shown in 3D which is the reason I hevan't seen Pirates 4. I just don't want to pay the extra bucks for something I don't really enjoy. I think cinemas here won't show 2D versions of the movies because they're affraid of people might ignore the 3D versions, but they have to screen the movies in 3D since the film cooperations make them do so. And I bet they have to pay much more money for the 3D film reels so in the end they have to make the money. Just a thought. <_<

AND, yes, Michael Fassbinder was amazing! I already loved him in Inglourious Basterds! His German is fantastic by the way, you hear just a slight accent, but it's great. (I know that he's born in Germany and his father is German, but as far as I know (aka wikipedia) he moved to Ireland when he was two.)

Best

1. Rise of the Planet of the Apes
  2. Fright Night
  3. X-Men First Class
  4. Captain America / Thor (tie)
  5. Horrible Bosses

Worst

1. Green Lantern
  2. Conan the Barbarian
  3. The Hangover 2
  4. Super 8
  5. The Smurfs

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Wait, wait, wait... I know the movie had some major flaws, but are you really saying Green Lantern was a worse movie than Smurfs? That's Smurfed up, man.

x-men first class: it was just so epic, got me into x-men again, and I saw it with a pretty girl :)

Rise of THE planet of THE apes: Amazing movie, it was creepy, it was heartwarming, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

super 8: very fun. love the classic feel to it.

That is about all the films I saw in theaters. I passed on GL, never got around to Cowboys, and didn't really intend to see Captain America. I did see Thor and pirates, but they didn't really do anything for me.

I did not see much this summer, but here are my vote's

Best:

Captain America (I will admit that due to Thor being really boring IMO, I had low expectations for this. I was greatly surprised. Kinda makes me want the PS3 game)

Super 8 (Oddly enjoyed more for the non-Science Fiction relationship scenes involving the kids. Great acting)

Smurfs (It kept with continuity rather then making it a more modern origin story)(I also loved the smurfs as a kid and had low expectations for this one)

Most films I would define as 'bad' I assumed would be before I paid (and wanted) to see them. For example, the two hour toy commercial that is a Transformers Movie.

Other Films I would define as 'bad" are ones people hype the shit out of and I expect to be the next Shawshank Redemption (or whatever your mind-blown-fav-film-of-all-time-movie might be) but end up letting you down.

Worst:

Thor, though, I had high hopes for and it ended up being really boring for me.

Horrible Bosses (hyped and did not deliver)

F'n 3D (I hate 3D, I already have to wear glasses to see a movie. Why would I want to pay more for a second pair so that the film has depth, and not the good kind of depth where you learn more about the fictional characters and thus care more about their fates. no thank you)

My list looks odd and people will agree and disagree about many opinions I have shared, but this is what I saw and thought this past summer.