UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Ghostbusters 3 (Movie) News/Rumors

youbastards

Starting a new post about this, I know there have been rumors for years, so if there is another topic, please merge.

Per Dan Akroyd , Ghostbusters 3 is happening with or without Bill Murray.

------------------------------------------

Link to JoBlo.com article

I don't know if it's a deal breaker for you, but according to Dan Aykroyd the fate of GHOSTBUSTERS 3 may not hinge on Bill Murray.

Aykroyd doesn't come right out and say it but merely throws in a "hopefully". Here's what he said on the Dennis Miller Show:

"Yes, we will be doing the movie and hopefully with Mr. Murray. That is our hope. We have an excellent script. What we have to remember is that Ghostbusters is bigger than any one component, although Billy was absolutely the lead and contributive to it in a massive way, as was the director and Harold [Ramis], myself and Sigourney [Weaver]. The concept is much bigger than an individual role and the promise of Ghostbusters 3′ is that we get to hand the equipment and the franchise down to new blood."

He also threw in some possible character points. Not sure if he's playing around here. Anything could happen. From the sound of it the title could be, "Ghostbusters: Old as Shit".

"My character, Ray, is now blind in one eye and can't drive the cadillac. He's got a bad knee and can't carry the packs... Egon is too large to get into the harness. We need young blood and that's the promise. We're gonna hand it to a new generation."

Whether the old Ghostbusters are now part or the geriatric crew or not, there will definitely be newbies. Aykroyd named someone he thought would be a good fit:

"I like this guy Matthew Gray Gubler from the 'Criminal Minds' show'. But there's going to be a casting. We're going to see everyone that wants to do it. We're going to need... three guys and a young woman."

------------------------------------------

One of the members on the Joblo forum had a great idea to handle 'the new crew'. Bring in a bunch of characters to take over the franchise, introduce them, make the audience like them, have them go through the training and choose take on the end baddie on their own, just to have them all killed off, forcing the old crew to suit up again. :highfive2:

Edited by youbastards

I saw that last week. Without Murray, I'm not interested. Someone else on SSF said that Ghostbusters isn't a license where you can just substitute any comedian into the suit and it will work, and I agree with that. The original film works for me because of the chemistry and humor of the cast. I am interested in GB3 as one more visit with the guys from the original film. I'm not so much interested in a "passing of the torch" in order to spawn more sequels.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm not sure what I think of this either. Even with the original cast, GB2 was just okay, so to me it's not about whether Murray is on board but more about what kind of script they come up with. You know the special effects will be amazing, but however the plot and dialogue get worked out is what will do it for me or not.

No Murray, no deal.

He's the lead. The chemistry between the Ghostbusters is what makes the movies. Even in a "passing the torch" movie, you need Bill Murray. Cause it's Bill Freakin' Murray.

Yeah, Bill Murray is critical to GB. I think I could handle a passing of the torch event as long as the right chemistry is there for the next crew. But it would feel more natural and complete if the whole crew were there for the passing.

Around the time Zombieland was released, Murray was stating that the only way he would come back for 3 was as a ghost. I think this has a lot of potential for adding to the story, with him acting as the ghost of the Fireshouse. Maybe have some tragic event happen at the firehouse where Ray accidentally caused his death, but none of them want to trap him.

I would still perfer a 'live' Venkman, but would settle for a dead Venkman if that is what it would take to get him involved.

I'd love Ghost Venkman honestly. The story possibilities are endless. Imagine Venkman as a spy in the Ghost camp.

As for dialogue, it worked in the Ghostbusters video game. Clearly they still have it. It just comes down to using it in the film form again.

I love those movies and amazingly enough my 3 year old son begs me to let him watch Ghostbusters movies on the daily. Then he goes around chanting how he's not afraid of no ghost! I would love to see another Ghostbusters movie, but I agree as well that Bill Murray is a necessity in the franchise...in ghost form or not. With Murray being a ghost there would be plenty of comedic opportunities in my opinion. Anyway, I'd like to see the movie be made...I would just hope that the passing of the torch wasn't to some lame ass actors that will screw it up.

ghost Venkman does sounds amusing, especially what you said, youbastards. Though I think I'm going to have to disagree with essentially everyone. If Murray doesn't want to do it, then f him. As long as Ray and Egon are present (as stated), then introducing new ones would work for me (especially if they did kill them off shortly after).

What I do agree on, is that I'd have no interest in subsequent films with a 'new crop'. Just wouldn't be the same.

They were a 3 man team, and I don't think Winston even made it onto the film poster.

he was just a guy off the streets, so doesn't need to have a huge role in the scientific side of training some kids, I suppose

No, Winston is a neccassary component. He had one of the first one's best lines: "Ray, if someone askes you if you're a god you say YES!!"

But let's face it, Ernie Hudson is doubtful to turn down the work. Winston is his most recognisable role. If there's a part for him, he'll be there.

I didn't mean he wasn't important, just that, not being a founding member n' all that, it would be fairly easy for them to come up with a reason for him not being around anymore.

I was under the impression it was a given that the 3 non-Murray members were already 'confirmed', which is why I didn't mention him before.

Winston had funny lines, and was a key part of the "heart" of the team, particularly in part 2. BUT, the real comedy and chemistry, and really the draw of the films, was between the original 3 in my mind. Take away Mr. Hudson, and I can live with it. Take away anyone else, and I can't.

I feel Winston's main role in part 1 was to have the perspective of the viewer, so that the audience could have a guy who would ask the questions they would ask, etc. But, I'm not sure that's very necessary at this point.

Edited by karamazov80

No, Winston is a neccassary component. He had one of the first one's best lines: "Ray, if someone askes you if you're a god you say YES!!"

But let's face it, Ernie Hudson is doubtful to turn down the work. Winston is his most recognisable role. If there's a part for him, he'll be there.

Even a pretentious idiosyncratic pr*ck like me struggles with 'necessary' but that one takes the biscuit :tongue:

...& yes who givesashit :biggrin:

I also think that a GB3 needs Venkman. It also has to be much better than GB2 cause that was a bummer of a sequel. I would be ok if they passed the torch on to a new generation of busters but it would depend on the manner in which it was done. Like having the original team around as ghosts in the firehouse still would be cool.

Sidenote, I met Ernie Hudson (Winston) at SDCC in 2008 and he was really cool!

Actually I here Murray is seen relatively frequently around Chicago, and is a fairly cool fella... as long as you're buying the round after a Cubs game.

I’m not saying anyone here had done this, but I’ve seen this a lot of other places talking about GB3, where someone (the reporter, the reposter, a commenter...) says basically:

“I’m excited for GB3! Ghostbusters 2 was crap and the series deserves to end on a high note!”

by their own admission HALF of the Ghostbuster films were crap, but somehow a 3rd would be better, seems like a really weird attitude to have about the project. (personally, I like GB2 and would probably see GB3 even if it is a Murray-less pass the torch piece of crap, it’ll still be fun.)

I think the time for “passing the torch” has gone, now is the time for “reboot”, get four comedians who work really well together (here’s an example, but please not them: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, and David Spade) Like a group that works together all the time, at any time two of them are probably co-starring in a movie together, and seem to be friends in real life, that chemistry would carry over to recapturing some of the magic from GB1. Having the old guys around would kill any momentum the new cast could gain “new cocky leader’s trying to win the heart of the girl... but first let’s deal with Peter’s death. New Science Nerd Tech-head is building a new trap to catch a super ghost, here let Egon show you you’ll always be stupider then him by telling him what he’s doing wrong OR have us feel sorry for Egon by having new guy fix HIS trap so we get to see our childhood hero become obsolete before our very eyes!” so just let it be a reboot so the franchise has a fighting chance...

As for the old cast, hey “Ghostbusters: Hellbound” (or whatever it’s called now) would make one hell of a videogame! (maybe Rookie could talk this time and be joined by 3 new characters all voiced by modern actors Dan Arkyod wishes to work with.) Maybe videogames can be their new thing!

Reboot?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!!!!

Just because a few reboots have worked surprisingly well, let's not get crazy on the reboot/remake wagon. Usually reboot = lukewarm retread. In this case GB1 was such a lightning in a bottle moment that even the same group of creators couldn't quite replicate it in the sequel. It generated so much good will, we're willing to give them one more chance to try again. I don't really want to see that story retold with different actors. I don't want to see someone try to out snark Murray, or up the gore factor, or add cheap body humor (which seems the go to of modern movie comedy) to make the movie "fresh" and "contemporary".

I'm not that excied about GB3. Akroyd has struggled to find his comic mojo since the first one, as has Ramis as a writer. Murray, while essential to a GB movie, has just seemed tired in his last few outings. No. You really want to make some more money with Ghostbusters? Clean up, remaster, maybe even improve some of the old effects shots, and re-release the first one back to theatres.

I'm glad you stood up for GB2 dr b (I've no idea why it is so unliked), but I can't see a remake/boot being anything other than a huge failure.

Also, 'comedians'-wise, how did you manage to pick the four of the most offensively unfunny people on the planet?

Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, and David Spade

I like Chris Rock, but. . .sweet lord don't ever ever ever let this happen! :yucky:

BTW, any of you see the trailer for the new Adam Sandler movie where he plays 2 characters--one of which being a female who has a relationship with Al Pacino? I think it's already won half the Razzies available based on trailer alone.