UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimates Laptop Decals?

Hey there...I am fairly new to the site and I have only been collecting for about 2 months now and own about 50 various minimates. These things are addictive..so many cool figures. I do have a question about decals of these guys. I am a graphic designer and was at a time a comic book artist for a little while. I had a thought of turning some of my drawings of minimates characters into decals...mostly just cut out of black vinyl as I have a vinyl cutter at my home. The would be for applying to laptop computers or macbooks...gaming systems and car windows..etc. I just wanted to know if this is something that people would be interested in or if it is even a possibility to do? I mean I can do it...just didn't know about the trademark infringment possibilities? Anyway, just and idea I wanted to throw out there and see what you guys thought...thanks for any feedback.

First off, welcome to the boards (and being addicted).

Secondly, I would love a Minimate car window decal and I don't think I'd be alone in this. Having said that, I doubt it's totally legal. You can always just do it and find out later or you can always ask DST and find out for certain. But if you end up doing it (even just for yourself) I'm totally interested. And again, welcome aboard.

Yes, welcome welcome!

Unless you're selling them, I doubt that you'd run into much trouble with DST. And, as long as you're just doing blanks, it shouldn't be a problem. Now, if you make decals of Minimate Spidey and sell them for five bucks on a website, you might get a cease and desist, but other then that I think you'll be fine. Cool idea, though! I'll get some!

Can you do a Minimate peeing on a Shocker Toys logo?

Or maybe a Blammoid?

I'm certainly interested. I think my preference would be a Minimate block figure. (no details, just shape)

Can't wait to see what you're talking about.

I think if anyone has ever seen the decals people put of like stick figures on their windows and things like snow white on their macbooks...I make decals just like those as a side job basically....I'm seeing some interest in just the plain block figure without any detail and some with the guys pissing on something else...like calvin and hobbes type stuff...I will be posting samples soon...I have to actually draw this stuff first and you guys can let me know what you think..thank you for all the interest and keep coming with the ideas

Just an FYI, I wasn't really serious with my idea of the Calvinesque peeing idea. I'm sure some people would like it, but I personally get tired of seeing all of the variations of it around here in Redneckland. Just throwing thatout there.

it's too late now...I'm about to unleash minimates pissing on ford's...chevy's...hahahaha

Hey guys...glad you like the first samples...I went with the blank decal because of copyright laws...so this should avoid all of that hassle for me. The highlighted decal basically just lets the background show through as shown...I try to stick to one color decals, but two color are possible...below I am showing the female versions..MinimatesBlanksFemale.jpg

And of course...the family of minimates...haha

MinimatesBlanksFamily.jpg

I can do these decals at a cost of $3.00 for the plain black or white minimate decal...that is a figure that is 5" tall. I can do a Highlighted black or white version for $4.00. This price includes shipping and handling as well and is only for members of this board.

I can do a family set of a father, mother, 2 sons, and 2 daughter decals for $10.00 which includes shipping and handling.

I can accept paypal for these transactions of course (madmaxdecals@yahoo.com) and I will also email you application instructions.

The decals are made of a high cast quality vinyl that lasts at least 7-9 years outside and longer inside..they leave no residue behind when removed either. If you have any questions please ask.

I'm sure I'll be coming up with some more stuff soon as well...different poses and capes and so on....thanks for any feedback and any suggestions.

MinimatesBlanks.jpg

Hopefully you can see the picture...this is a sample of what the minimates blank decal would look like...several versions...a black decal, white decal, and decal with details...let me know what you guys think...thanks

I like all those variations, great job!

Although i was origionally thinking they'd just be the outlines, similar to the design sheets, but posed.

Another idea perhaps?

I would be very careful about selling these, even at cost. Profit or not, it's still unlicensed intellectual property. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, seeing this is obviously a labor of love, but I'd hate to see you get in trouble for your efforts. It might be worth emailing Chuck to get a go-ahead...

Whilst Lobsterman's advice is sound I'm never been sure how DST stand with their use of the word 'Minimate' bearing in mind this trade-name has been registered for many many items ranging from a concrete-mixer to a grocery bag .An image of a block-figure WITHOUT using the Minimate name should steer you clear of trouble.

Now if I were doing this I would send Chuck a grocery bag containing a concrete-mixer & a spectrometer with a small note asking him politely to cease & desist.

Seriously though these decals are a nice idea & a simple way of covering your ass & maintaining the moral high ground is to just run this past Chuck or Zach (or ask a Mod to) to get some feedback .

Edited by buttheadsmate