Jeff's Customs

Jeff

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

80s rule! Great work there. I've got my Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, and Madonna Minimates posed together. I wish DST would give us more 80s goodness like Goonies, Prince, Breakfast Club, etc.

Edited by karamazov80

Bill & Ted look great! Both facial expressions work very well and a good parts selection! Finally a good use for that old Marty chest piece! Also, Ted's red shirt is one of those BSG jumpers, isn't it? Cool idea! :thumbsup:

Need to watch the Goonies again before I can really comment on them. :confused:

I'm a HUGE fan of the on again-off again What If...series from Marvel. I'm surprised that there hasn't been many What If customs here on the multiverse (unless I haven't been looking hard enough- it's entirely possible). Anyway, I'm also a HUGE Fantastic Four fan so after digging around in my back issues I came across one of my old favorites- issue 6, in which the quartet gets different powers:

post-3472-0-04608600-1314117015_thumb.jp

Sue becomes Ultra-Woman (stretching powers), Ben grows wings and becomes Dragonfly, and Johnny turns into a living robot: Mandroid. Reed on the other hand isn't as lucky. He becomes a giant floating brain. By the end of the ish, Reed's brain merges with Dr. Doom and after a quick few panels becomes Mr. Fantastic (a blue FF Doom instead of his standard green).

post-3472-0-64595400-1314117267_thumb.jp

So I quickly got to work and here's the end result:

post-3472-0-17536000-1314117313_thumb.jp

I'm still on the lookout for Reed's brain form- with Halloween around the corner I should be able to locate a minimate scale brain. I plan to have them battling their alternate selfs as well in time and post soon.

You are both correct. Here's the recipe for each:

Bill

Magneto hair or substitute in Sunspot- either works. It's also the same piece for Chunk.

Original Magneto head.

Shirt/Torso/Legs is Detention Mary.

Ted

GB2 Ray head.

Trimmed Dark Beast hair.

GB2 Mayor vest.

Vanhalen decal on shirt.

BSG shirt on waist.

Painted flesh legs.

Shoes from The Spirit.

Thanks!

Once I finish up the rest of the Goonies I'll list the recipes for those as well.

I wish DST would give us more 80s goodness like Goonies, Princess Bride, Breakfast Club, etc.

Fixed! :tongue:

Jeff - your customs are great, I would totally pick up Bill & Ted and Goonies Minimates. I think Goonies is perfect for the Minimate treatment, 2 or 3 LCS boxsets could take care of the line. There is such a cult following of that film, they would easily be the next BTTF/Ghostbusters gems.

Thanks again guys. Glad to know my work is appreciated.

Here's the recipe for each of the FF:

Sue

Most recent Sue torso on Reed's twisty body.

Reed as Doom

The first Dr. Doom with a Reed chest piece and 1st appearance Dr. Doom mini-skirt. I felt the skirt 'original' Doom came with was too long.

Johnny

Giant sized Colossus with Marty Mcfly hair. Things T-crotch piece. Sunspots boots painted blue.

Ben

Reed body, battle damaged Batman's face, not sure about the hair. Wings were from the four armed pink ghost from GB2. I still may customize the wings further to get them more comic accurate- Painted red edge with apoxied corner tips. See original pic. I may too, scrape off some of the battle scars on his face.

I'm currently working on the 90's (white and blue) version of the team:

-thigh high boot Invisible Woman

post-3472-0-11527100-1314122928_thumb.jp

-battlescared face/helmet Thing (I think this one is already made right?)

-tech jacket Reed & Reed Returns (bearded and tattered costume)

post-3472-0-46458900-1314123432_thumb.jp

-Lyja the lazerfist (using a skrull face and Angel's hair piece mask)

Here's some more of my customs, this time focusing on Spider-Man variants:

Spider-Boy from the Amalgam universe (holster needs a touch up)

post-3472-0-37401600-1314128069_thumb.jp

Various Spider-Man costumes: Spider-Lizard, Mike Wieringo's 3099(?) Spidey, Cyborg Spidey, and Amazing Bag-Man

post-3472-0-94341800-1314128091_thumb.jp

Damn! That Mama is A+! The ensemble, the beret. Damn! she looks great.

Seriously nice work.

You're alternate F4 look great too. They really sit nicely together as a team. The colour match on Dooms cape is pretty good.

BAGMAN!!!! Awesome work there!!

I can't take full credit for the Bag-Man or 3099 helmet sculpt. This was before getting into Apoxie sulpt so I had my talented friend Mark work his magic and it came out perfectly. He's made his own custom Indiana Jones and Rocketeer*. I'll tell him to post photos asap!

*I'm working on the cast of the Rocketeer as we speak er....type. I've got a South Seas Jenny, Neville Sinclair, Lothar, Bigelow, and once it arrives- Peevy.

I've also found a great way to display my minimates (though I'm getting off the topic, it does fall under customs). I picked up this clear display box at my local Hobby Lobby. Usually they offer a 40% coupon so you can pick these up for about $8 a piece.

post-3472-0-68085400-1314186986_thumb.jp

Then, searching the net for various backdrop I discovered this site:

http://metrotower2.bravehost.com/downloads-wallpaper.htm

Scaling the wallpaper image to fit, I printed it and taped it to the inside back wall and created my own Age of Apocalypse display:

post-3472-0-69260400-1314187801_thumb.jp

There were some photoshop tweak to the sky color and the addition of Sentinels looming in the skies.

post-3472-0-51525200-1314187858_thumb.jp

This is Dark Beast's Lab.

I've also made a Spider-Man final showdown display:

post-3472-0-76524100-1314187917_thumb.jp

I'll share more later!

Here's more murals I've created using the same technique:

Castle Doom with Dooms throne room and secret basement laboratory. Various images of castles found online helped makes this pop.

post-3472-0-65971400-1314200866_thumb.jp

X-Mansion with war room, danger room, and hangar with repainted MAX jet (thanks to Luke/Minimate Factory for this recipe) Can't remember the site, but it is out there- someone had made a scaled watchtower to fit all the JLU figures with interchangeable panels as seen here. I scaled it to minimate size and added X-Men villain screens to give it the X-Mansion feel.

post-3472-0-27227900-1314201002_thumb.jp

post-3472-0-39439300-1314201285_thumb.jp

My personal favorite: X-Men The Arcade Game from Konami. So many quarters lost to that game. "WELCOME TO DIE!"

post-3472-0-77185600-1314201425_thumb.jp

post-3472-0-81622600-1314201344_thumb.jp

I also discovered on deviantart, jhroberts (http://jhroberts.deviantart.com/art/Ghostbusters-Playset-interior-130708867) had created an entire Ghostbusters Firehouse. I edited that as well with the finishing touch of Stay Puft:

post-3472-0-43334200-1314201630_thumb.jp

Last but not least comes my Left 4 Dead customs with scaled wallpaper from IGN. Here we have Francis, Louis, Zoey, and Bill standing up to the zombie horde...

post-3472-0-24004200-1314202657_thumb.jp

Because all of these display cases are stackable, you can imagine the space it takes up. But, it is a great way to keep them from gettting dusty with adding the extra elment of scenery. I'm always on the lookout for more ideas.

Oops...Forgot to add two other customs I made.

This was my very first- Mimic, who's chest decal was a modified decal I picked up on minimatefactory.

post-3472-0-49353800-1314203130_thumb.jp

Not happy with no Jennifer from Back to the Future, and before they announced they were going to make one, I took a stab at it...

post-3472-0-66927100-1314203244_thumb.jp

That being said, I HATE the new Jennifer sculpt. The hair is wrong, they skimped on the vest piece, the facial expression is meh. I ended up using Kitty Pryde's head and hair, Wolverine origins jacket and arms from GB2 Mayor. I'm holding off on making a Clara. I'm 90% sure the next BTTF release will be the wild west delorean with who better than Clara. Or Einstein. I'd love an Einstein but I know using the Terror Dog/Lockjaw sculpt it'd look awkward. What I'd love to do in the meantime is to make a 50's Goldie Wilson.

"One day I'm gonna clean up this town!"

"Good. You can start by sweeping the floor."

Damn - so much posted in such a short time.

You're backgraounds look great. I really love your X-Men Game set up. The 'move-on' floating font is fantastic. I used to dream about owning the huge 6-player version of this game that my local arcade had when i was growing up.

Very Nive Minic as well. I hope we get an official one like yours.

Yeah, about that. I've been blogging posts of custom work with no real fan base whatsoever. I would hope that someone would magically come across my blog and it would spread like wildfire- or at least get a comment here or there. It didn't so I killed it. It wasn't until I started poking around in the forums here that I realized this is where I needed to be- feedback, tips, contests, and others like myself could come together and share their hobby- and more importantly not be judged for it.

I love this site. I love the minimate community. I don't consider myself obsessive with this hobby, I just had a lot to say/show and was using the wrong methods to do so. So thanks to all of you for your commments, appreciation, and interest.

Welcome to the site! So much to comment on here...

- Bill and Ted are indeed excellent.

- Really love your What If Fantastic Four. Doom looks surprisingly nice in blue. And I look forward to your 90's Fantastic Four customs.

- Your Spider-Man customs are quite nice as well. Your Spider-Lizard is giving me ideas, and I think your Bag-Man is the best I've seen.

- And I still love your box displays. You did such a great job with the backgrounds.

Yeah, about that. I've been blogging posts of custom work with no real fan base whatsoever. I would hope that someone would magically come across my blog and it would spread like wildfire- or at least get a comment here or there. It didn't so I killed it. It wasn't until I started poking around in the forums here that I realized this is where I needed to be- feedback, tips, contests, and others like myself could come together and share their hobby- and more importantly not be judged for it.

I love this site. I love the minimate community. I don't consider myself obsessive with this hobby, I just had a lot to say/show and was using the wrong methods to do so. So thanks to all of you for your commments, appreciation, and interest.

Jeff, you should do like I do: post your customs on your blog, then post photos and a link here. And, whenever you get a chance to sneak in a plug for your blog, take it!

Those display boxes are terrific. Very creative. Doom's castle is especially impressive.

What If? Minimates, huh? Always liked the series, though my focus as a customizer is on DC, indie comics, and fringe-y Marvel characters, so I tend to stay away from variations of the big guys. That's a really cool set, though.

Just picked up the Calico Jack Pirate Ship from my local TRU. Looks great with Mama Fratelli in place. Can't wait to add the rest of the Goonies and recreate the 'walk the plank' scene with Andy. I wasn't aware the boat had pull out planks on both sides. Nice touch.

Pic coming soon- once I finish Andy.

Couldn't find a pic online of Reed Richards: crazed hermit I was looking for- so I went right to the source (my long box of FF comics)

post-3472-0-24326800-1314360678_thumb.jp

I may want to do some apoxie for his giant hand and tattered jacket (or the Lizards). Not sure yet. I'd like to use a modified version of the beard that came in the movie Thor pack. Any other piece ideas?