UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Funko Pop!

groundhog7s

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it is f***king impossible to keep up with Funko. They are announcing their new products for 2015 right now, and it's just insane. Here's a compilation from AFI, but it's basically every property you can think of:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/originalfunko-new-information-avalanche-new-reaction-and-legacy-announced/

And it doesn't even include Guardians of the Galaxy series 2, which was announced over at Marvel.com, and includes this:

54986b2a34fb4.jpg

drool.gif

Pops can be really frustrating to collect. I only cherry pick, and I'm not too invested, so I've only paid a premium for one or two, but the prices some of these go for is insane. When I was at C2E2 this spring (the last big con I attended) I was hoping to pick up a few of the ones I'm missing. But, even though these were everywhere, everyone had basically the same things. And the rare ones were all going for crazy money. I missed out on some of the DC ones that are now retired, and they are going for crazy money. Green Arrow sells for like $200. Green Arrow! It's nuts.

The other thing with Funko is that they release lots of exclusives to different retailers without much warning. Many of these aren't at national chains either, but local comic book shops. I just saw that there's an unmasked Spider-Man that was at one comics shop, as well as a brown Wolverine. Good luck getting those. Many of our Minimate Multiverse compatriots would not handle being Pop collectors. "The new wave showed up at TRU three days ago, but mine doesn't have them yet! Now I'm going to have to pay five dollars more on eBay! This is the most unfair thing ever!" Yeah, Zap Comics exclusives would not go over well.

The good thing about Pops are that they are usually not too hard to get right when they come out. You can order the X-Men ones from BBTS or Amazon or any other big retailer that will protect your investment. But I certainly don't recommend going to far down the Pop hole... madness lies that way.

Funko seems obsessed with creating scarcity and emphasizing the "chase" part of the hobby. It's my least favorite thing about them. I'd hate them with a passion if I was really serious about POPs. But then hardcore POP collectors are pretty crazy themselves; I've never seen a community so focused on the sheer number of figures you have in your collection.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TNI has some pics from Funko's Toy Fair display. For POPs I think the most interesting are the Doctor Who figures: 12, 11, 10, and 4. There's also some pics of Deadpool's Chimichanga truck.

Scarface and Taxi Driver ReAction figures make me happy.

As does the Tomorrowland ReAction stuff, makes me hope they get on Disneys good side so they can do Indiana Jones one day.

They're Jaws Reaction figures. Quint, Hopper, Brody, and Bruce are all part of the line. I can't wait for those!!!

If he's part of the line-up, then count me in!!! :)

• 3 months later...

I was in Hot Topic today and they had basically everything buy one get one 50% off, including Pops. They had two exclusive Doctor Who Pops in stock, 12 with a glove and spoon and 11 with a fez and mop, so I picked them up. I probably wouldn't have paid the full Hot Topic price for 12 but 11 is essential so I'm glad to get it at a more normal price.