UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Funko Pop!

groundhog7s

I try my best to avoid pops as like minimates they  are like plastic crack. My son has a few his latest being

344839a-emp.jpg

Which he was able to get signed by the person who voices vegeta in the english dub version.

Now I said I really try to avoid pops but this I cant resist.

340646a-emp.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have access to a Gamestop or HotTopic?
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on some of the X-Men Mystery Mini exclusives, and apparently they are always packed in a certain order, so you can pick the exclusives fairly easily (assuming the box hasn't been tampered with).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've never really cared much about the Inhumans, but Medusa and Crystal are pretty crucial characters in the Marvel universe. It'd be nice if Crystal came with an Avengers jacket.

Hopefully if we get them, we'll see new versions of Black Bolt and Lockjaw. Their previous versions are pretty hard to find. 

After those four, I can't think of any classic Inhumans that would interest me. I guess Karnak has a pretty interesting look.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:18 PM, BuffaloDelorean said:

I've never really cared much about the Inhumans, but Medusa and Crystal are pretty crucial characters in the Marvel universe. It'd be nice if Crystal came with an Avengers jacket.

I think I'd be more keen on her classic yellow and black outfit than her black and white Bloodties era look.
Still - I wont say 'no' if DST wants to do a Bloodties-era/90's Avengers wave with leather jacket Crystal, leather jacket Black Night, leather jacket Sersi, grey Black Widow, white Vision, and whatever Cap/Iron Man/War Machine heavy hitters they need to add in to get retailer buy in.

6 hours ago, Nessex said:

I think I'd be more keen on her classic yellow and black outfit than her black and white Bloodties era look.
Still - I wont say 'no' if DST wants to do a Bloodties-era/90's Avengers wave with leather jacket Crystal, leather jacket Black Night, leather jacket Sersi, grey Black Widow, white Vision, and whatever Cap/Iron Man/War Machine heavy hitters they need to add in to get retailer buy in.

Oh no, I meant the classic one too. Earlier in the series, she wore an Avengers jacket over her classic yellow costume.

Image result for avengers #357

My interest in most Avengers rosters drops off from around 1989 to the beginning of Busiek's run, but classic Crystal, grey Widow, white Vision, and "He-Man" Hercules are all necessities for me.

Edited by BuffaloDelorean

I'd love everything mentioned in the last two posts. The leather jacket Avengers are, for better or worse, my Avengers and minimates are really the only place there's a hope of getting the team.

I was just looking at Bloodties the other day. It's not a great story but it wouldn't be a bad base for a wave as long as it wasn't something like a 3-1 X-Men to Avengers ratio.

Edited by stack32

55 minutes ago, stack32 said:

I'd love everything mentioned in the last two posts. The leather jacket Avengers are, for better or worse, my Avengers and minimates are really the only place there's a hope of getting the team.

I was just looking at Bloodties the other day. It's not a great story but it wouldn't be a bad base for a wave as long as it wasn't something like a 3-1 X-Men to Avengers ratio.

I've never read Bloodties (early 90's A & X aren't really my thing), but a quick look makes me think it could be a solid wave. Something like:

Professor X & Cortez

Quicksilver & Crystal w/ Luna

Beast & USAgent

War Machine & Exodus

It might be a bit heavy on redos, but I was trying to make it at least somewhat viable. And again, I'm not overly familiar with the story, so I'm not 100% percent sure this lineup would represent the most important characters. Still, I'd buy the whole wave.

Apparently, Bloodties was a sequel to Fatal Attractions. I think this wave would pair pretty well with the wave from that story in the wishlist thread, although there would be some character redundancy.

I'd be here for an all X-men Fatal Attraction wave, followed by an Avengers Blood Ties wave. I'd really hate to cash in on the 90's-era Avengers, but miss out on key players like Black Widow in her grey gear.
Or if not a Blood Ties wave, then I'd be super happy buying the exact wave that BuffaloDelorean posted just above (assuming that the jakcketed figures came with spare arms to make them displayable without the jackets.

• 4 weeks later...

So - back to the original topic.... I am legitimately struggling with Funko Pops right now. 

The choices for some of their exlusives are a bit boggling to me.
A couple of years ago, I ordered the White Phoenix variant. Long story short, it got lost in the post and was never recovered. I was a little bitter, as I couldn't find it anywhere here and had to order it from overseas. The shipping on that thing ended up costing more than the pop itself. When it went astray, I left it for a while as I already had the green and Dark Phoenix versions. The white was a nice to have, but not essential to a collection of x-men figures.
Flash forward, and now she's being listed for $100's of dollars on eBay, so there is certainly no chance I'll get her now. But as I said, my collection has a Jean popo - so I'm not losing to much sleep over it.

Now - The Batman Animated pops are another story. While the core line has been super cute and featured some great characters, some of the exclusives have been, what I would consider, core characters. I have been waiting with baited breath for a Freeze pop, to find that he can only be purchased as a part of one of those nonsense 'collector corps' type things where one also buys a T-shirt, badge, patch, and other assorted junk. I don't mind when a special variant is a little hard to get. Christmas Harley - sure! Make her hard to find. Robot Batman? Limit the numbers. But when they put a core character in a box of otherwise useless junk and limit shipping so that only those living in North America can find it, it means the rest of us have to resort to eBay and pay $50.00 + shipping for a $15.00 toy (assuming I buy it now, and not a year from now when it's $250 + shipping).

I know collecting is not meant to be 100% easy, but this kind of decision really takes the fun out of collecting for me.

/rant.

I quit collecting Pops about a year ago for this very reason. Between the character choices for the Collector Corps and SDCC exclusives it was obvious Funko was dedicated to rarity as a marketing strategy and significant characters were going to be a real pain to obtain. I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle and frustration, plus keeping all those figures in boxes takes up a lot of space.

• 1 month later...
On 8/10/2017 at 1:21 AM, Nessex said:

I know collecting is not meant to be 100% easy, but this kind of decision really takes the fun out of collecting for me.

Imo it should be easy. If you're trying to throw your money at a company why the hell would they be like "nah we don't want it, we'd rather have bad distribution". 

Minimates and Walgreens are starting to get this way and it honestly makes me want to quit. I'm trying to spend easily $1000 a year on DST shouldn't they want to get as much product to me as easily as possible to maximize my purchases?

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Spider said:

Imo it should be easy. If you're trying to throw your money at a company why the hell would they be like "nah we don't want it, we'd rather have bad distribution". 

Minimates and Walgreens are starting to get this way and it honestly makes me want to quit. I'm trying to spend easily $1000 a year on DST shouldn't they want to get as much product to me as easily as possible to maximize my purchases?

I agree entirely . 

Is there one good reason why Walgreens don't sell Minimates online ?  

I can't really back you guys up on complaints about the Collector Corps boxes; you literally have two months to purchase a box, and most of them can be backordered (B:TAS is a notable exception, as that sold out), and Funko has even been leaking the Pops for the last several boxes, so you really have every opportunity to decide if you want it. I realize that outside of the US that might be a little bit different. Oh, and last year at Christmas they had a discount for past boxes too, so if you're missing one you want keep that in mind. As for the quality of the other items... well, Funko does make a whole bunch of other products. Most of those things I do end up giving away or donating. But there's still usually some cool stuff in there.

As for con exclusives, they are hit and miss (again, at least in the US). Funko now makes so many damn ones for each show that I can't imagine there's anyone trying to get them all. And they do at least make most available to other outlets. But that can still be a pain. Last year Gorilla Grodd was sold at Hot Topic, but apparently sold out first thing in the morning. This year, the only SDCC Pop that I wanted was Man-Bat, and I did have to drive around to get him

Pops have become such a THING that I think you really have to pick and choose. Most regular releases are super easy to come by, and really have no value (if that's your thing). I unbox mine, so I'm not really worried about value as much as I am getting characters I like. So I buy the superheroes and some of the animated ones and the occasional movie Pop, but for the most part I pick and choose. But it's weird. I would not call myself a Pop collector, but that being said I have dozens and dozens of them. I think you've got to let go on trying to be a completest, or you'll just drive yourself mad. Spring for the occasional expensive HTF one, but for the most part keep it casual.

7 hours ago, buttheadsmate said:

I agree entirely . 

Is there one good reason why Walgreens don't sell Minimates online ?  

Because that'd be too easy on the consumer and cost them a little bit of money to organize. They'd rather keep the status quo than try to actually sell stuff. And here I've gone my whole life thinking that's what a store is supposed to do.