UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Funko Pop!

groundhog7s

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mezco is doing mez-itz of BrBa, is that what you're thinking of?

No, I mean Pops, I figured we’d get Mez-Itz but I don’t like Mez-Itz (after my f**king $8 Sinestro key-chain broke there’s no way in hell I’d ever buy another one) or really for that matter anything Mezco’s making, but I was dusting the few Pops I have and thought “hey! a Heisenberg Pop might look pretty keen!"

but all google turned up was a bunch of sourceless quotes of people saying “the president of Funko mentioned they’re planned” with no actual confirmations...

so sounds like it’s a no unless Toy Fair proves otherwise...

I've looked around on their message board and all that's been mentioned is rumors. There was a post about someone wanting Hanna Barbera and Breaking Bad Pops that the president commented on, but that was just to say HB Pops should be coming (although they haven't). Maybe something will come up at TF for BrBa.

I've assumed that Funko is able to get so many different licenses because licensors consider the products novelty items instead of toys or action figures. I suspect that's why some are actually bobbleheads and others are vinyl figures.

The style of these have been growing on me for a while, so after seeing the upcoming MOTU and Watchmen Pops I picked up a few (Gandalf, Leonidas, Tusken Raider). They didn't disappoint once I had them in hand. I can see myself having kind of a love/hate relationship with these though. I like the range of licenses and the style seems to work for many characters (not all), but I'm not a fan of all the chase variants, exclusives, and "retiring" figures to drive the price up.

Also, perusing the Funko board really made me appreciate this place.

The Funko board is a very interesting place and has changed dramatically in the last year or so since Pop collecting exploded. There is a definite zealot feel to the place for sure. One thing I appreciate here is that we can all express our opinions civilly, even when they may be negative about the product or company that we like. To me, the general feel over there is that you have to agree to everything with a smile on your face.

And I found collecting Pops was much more enjoyable when I stopped getting all of the chases and exclusives. It was just too much and I couldn't enjoy it (at least not like I do being a completist of Minimates).

These are actual Pops, not the vinyl figures that Hot Topic is selling.

Having said that, have you seen Fluttershy and Dr. Whooves that are coming out next month at HT?

Oh wow, that's news then

And yeah, I had HotCash so they were pre-ordered the day they went up.

Here's the ultimate problem I see with Funko products, how much life do these have before the entire line implodes from either too much product, or more likely, by being replaced by the next "hot trendy collectible"? Does anyone see these still being around in a few years?

Yes. Yes, people do.

If anything, they build such a fanbase and have such loyalty that that alone will carry them for a long time (like it has with their bobblehead products). I forsee these to be around for a long, long time.

I don't think you can compare either line to Pops. For one, casual buyers are more likely to buy a vinyl figure of a pop culture icon than they would a generic stuffed cat. And Muggs never had the distribution or variety that Pops have. I'm sure it will die down some eventually, but I don't think it'll die off any time soon.

Are Pops that popular with casual buyers? I first heard about them through the regular toy collecting channels, so I've never had the impression that they were a "craze" or anything like beanie babies. More appealing to a wider range of people than a typical action figure maybe, but actually trendy?

Also, I think the failure of Mighty Muggs has as much to do with Hasbro mishandling the format as it does with a decline in popularity.

They actually make great gifts. I have never bought one for myself, but a friend of mine loves Big Bang Theory, so when her birthday rolled around, she got a Sheldon Pop.

I've seen this extend to the non-comic/colelctor community too. One of my housemates bought an Ursula one for his friends birthday as the friend was a huge Little Mermaid fan. The wide range of popular media they have covered by their licences means that there is a lot of interest from casual, non-collectors.

We're not just talking about Marvel/Star Wars/Indy like we were with Muggs (although Marvel & StarWars are part of it), but also Wizard of Oz, Muppets, Rocky, Walking Dead, the Beatles, Pulp Fiction, Halo, DC, DC Movies, Marvel Movies, Game of Thrones, Lord of the Rings, Kiss, Elvis, Friday 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm St, Edward Scissor Hands, Michael Jackson, Sex Pistols, the Simpsons, Sports Stars, Hip Hop Artists, Masters of the Universe, etc...

Everyone of thos carries an enormous fan-base on it's own. The line doesn't really need to have 'Pop collectors', because each license has enough of a following to keep it going... plus there's Grounghog....

Edited by Nessex