UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

MINI_MYTE

I just got back from viewing Rise of the Planet of the Apes and must say.... WOW! This movie has just jumped to my number one summer blockbuster of the year. It was well written and executed. At no time did it feel cheesy or stupid. Even when Charlton Heston's famous "get your damn stinkin' paws off of me" line was used. Weta's ape effects were beautifully done and you can tell that a lot of care and respect was put into the overall quality of this movie.I was never a big fan of the original series of films, but if this is the new direction this classic sci-fi series will be heading into, consider me a devoted fan for life. This is the first film this summer that I want to see again desperately as soon as possible. Let me know what y'all think of the flick.

What I think is that you're a damn ape sympathizer. Me, I'm siding with the Terminators.

I may well be a damn ape sympathizer, but that because these guys don't monkey around..... uh... okay poor choice of words on my part, but you know what I mean. :sweat:

Edited by MINI_MYTE

In case any of our future ape masters are reading this thread, I realize that there is no hope for me, but this is my daughter's current favorite video:

Do not punish her for the sins of her father. The noble race of apes are better than that.

Saw this myself last night & it was mostly very enjoyable. I, unlike Mini-Myte, did think it got a little silly a couple of times - but that didn't really stop me from having fun.

My criticisms of the film are mostly that Brian Cox (who i think is fantastic) didn't get much to do & that Tom Felton (possible a bit type-cast after his stint as Malfoy in Harry Potter) was pretty 1 dimensional without having any real reason for being a colossal jerk.

there were some very obvious nods towards the original series and the tim burton film, most of which could have been done without.

The film also felt a bit underwhelming at the end... as if this was more importantly a set up for a new frnachise of films, rather than a stand alone piece.

Over-all, it's generally well acted, and echoing Mytes comments - the ape effects are beautifully rendered. Good fun to watch, even if it's not a 5-star film.

I f**king loved this movie! Seriously my favorite of the year and you all know how much of a Potterhead I am. Then again more of Malfoy being Malfoy did help a little...

Speaking of Malfoy, after he said THE line, I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about, Caesar's reaction caused one of the best moments in a movie theater ever for me. Most every time I'm in a theater I can hear hints of whispers, people shuffling, people getting popcorn or eating something, someone moving around in their seats, breathing etc. etc. When Caesar did what he did after Malfoy said his line, everything froze. Nobody moved. Nobody grabbed popcorn. I couldn't even hear breathing. It was such a shocking moment that everything in the theater just... stopped.

Anyway the acting, ESPECIALLY from Andy Serkis, is really good. It's hard to get emotion from a nonverbal nonhuman being and Serkis did an amazing job akin to his work in King Kong. Franco was more or less typical Franco though the connection with his Alzheimer's suffering dad and his care for Caesar was heartbreaking.

It was hard not to love this movie. I give it a 4.5/5 and urge you to see it soon. It's worth the full price.

I am an Apes fan for sure. I never saw them in theaters as I was mostly too young for it, but I did see them later on TV and DVD. I was old enough to watch the TV series and loved it. I knew Burton was going to make a crappy film and IMO, he did. That said, I am anxious to see Rise. I haven't been yet as my wife just gave birth to our new son, but I plan to try for this weekend. It looks great, but I have concerns that there is so much CGI.

Don't worry about the CGI Shane, it looked fantastic. Weta continues to get better and better with their CG quality. Congrats on the birth of your new son. Since you posted the happy news in this thread, I seriously think you and your wife should consider naming him Caesar. Just throwing the suggestion out there. ;)

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Man the CGI was really good! And practically speaking it would have to be there. As we're not dealing with the evolved Apes of the other movies practical makeup is out because making them look like an ape wouldn't happen. And good luck getting an actual Chimpanzee to act as well as Andy Serkis did. So if you see how great it is and realize the practical purpose the CG won't bother you.

This is the site where he sells stuff, but you have to log-in to see his past items for sale:

http://www.rainmanart.kr/

Most of the pics I see come from the Sideshow Freaks forum. He also has a blog but I can't seem to find it via google, either.

I wasn't really up for this film, not helped by a hideous trailer that was a crime against story progression and spoilers - seriously, it was a condensed 2 minute version of the film shown in order scene by scene.

But I thought the film itself was really good. Quite slow, not much action for all you Michael Bay explosion fiends, but it was worth making sure the characters got to shine.