UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 42

boyd

From the Diamond press release:

A Diamond Select Release! Art Asylum Designs & Sculpts! Diamond Select continues the longest-running collector line in toy history! Springboarding off of this summer's blockbuster Marvel movies, Series 42 expands the comic-based worlds of Thor and Captain America[/url], celebrating some of the characters from both universes that have never before been done as Minimates! This series features Civil War Captain America and Arnim Zola, Armored Thor and Beta Ray Bill, an exclusive Stone Man with Thunderstrike, and a short-packed variant set with an army-building Stone Man and the Eric Masterson version of Thor. Look for them to be on shelves by 11/30/11

STK449051__scaled_600.jpg

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without getting into the entire Thor discussion from the SDCC thread again, which one is which? Is the one with the jacket Thunderstrike (because he's holding the weapon "Thunderstrike") and the one with the helmet would be the Eric version of Thor (since he's holding Mjolnir)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderstrike_(Eric_Masterson)

Without getting into the entire Thor discussion from the SDCC thread again, which one is which? Is the one with the jacket Thunderstrike (because he's holding the weapon "Thunderstrike") and the one with the helmet would be the Eric version of Thor (since he's holding Mjolnir)?

http://en.wikipedia....(Eric_Masterson)

Correct. Just remember it this way:

Cape = Thor

90's style fashion sense = Thunderstrike

I love the new cape designs for Thor, it finally has the flow off of the shoulders that it should! I may have to get a couple extra to update some of the previous figures. :thumbsup:

Arnim Zola (like the upcoming Heralds Galactus and the hopefully soon-to-be-shown MvC3 MODOK) shows that DST is really starting to think outside the box on producing non-standard Minimate body types.

This gets my hopes up for a possible Mojo or Fing Fang Foom!

The Stone Man is the biggest disappointment of the bunch to me. Maybe it wouldn't seem so bad if we hadn't just gotten the Wave 37 Thing that 90% of this Minimate reuses parts from...

Although, maybe the orange paint/black wash application on Stone Man will better match the head from the Wave 37 Thing, and we can part swap to get a better Wave 37 Thing.

I like the idea of using the Stone Man as an army builder due to his connection with Thor, but why not a 616 version of Asguardian warriors? I know we got it with Movie Thor but if they released a different looking version I can mix and match more easily.

I don't mind the Thor variants as I've wanted more Thor minimates for a while, but the Beta Ray Bill is dissapointing when it's identical to the one in the boxset. Cap looks a bit out of place IMO and I personally think they should have used Kirby Thor/Balder or how about comic style Hogan and Fandral (to compliment movie Volstagg) and made 43 a Cap wave.

Still I view it as a break from X-Men and becaue I prefer Thor/the mystical side of Marvel to X-Men/the Mutant side, I have every intention of getting all the mates in this wave and the complimentary TRU wave.

This wave is such a huge disappointment. Of all the things it could have been they made Captain America wearing a jacket, Beta Ray repaint, multiple "Thor" variants and an obscure army builder which looks like the Thing.

Booooooo-urns.

You had me at Booooooo-urns.

it is indeed the same stone men featured in the planet hulk, WWH sagas I think that characters name was Korg not much of a custom as its been shown that the members of that race are more or less identical in appearance, it does make for a really good army builder idea because of this but I don't think the bulked up Thing body is a good fit. While they are "stone men" I've never seen them depicted with the same bulk as Ben and if memory serves the stone pattern is more shard like as compared to Ben's more rocky cobblestone look.

Has anyone noticed that the Stone Man has the 3 fingered hand / arm piece that was never included with the wave 37 Thing (DST opted to re-use wave 5 Thing's instead.) If this new hand / arm piece makes it to the final version of the Stone Man, one set of them will be donated to the Thing as a much needed upgrade. Now we just need a full slip cover face for Ben to complete the ensemble.

I like these, except for the stone guy. I am totally gonna add another character to my frank frazzetta mates using that helmet. and i can stop one of my newest projects, because they are finally adding the little shoulder things. I am hoping at some point we'll see the warriors three, heimdall(sp?) and on cap's side, falcon.

You said it, bucko!

With comic versions of Balder and Sif lookin' so spot-on, it seems like a crime we don't have comic Warriors 3, Heimdall or even an Odin in shiny gold armor with a huge Kirby-esque helmet.

Somebody needs to give these jokers a copy of Kirby's "Tales of Asgard" so they can see what it's all about!

It's been said elsewhere, but i'm really bummed that we've ended up with what i think of as 4 Thor variants and no Thor villains. Gimme Enchantress!

Still - they are, for the most part, nice looking mates.

• 2 weeks later...