UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2011: Main Discussion Thread

Nope. Try again. This is Thunderstrike:

*snip*

Those other two are Thor. Just look at the hammer, the cape, the helmet, whatever. Totally different design. It's like complaining about getting a War Machine because we've already got an Iron Man. They're totally different characters.

Now, if you're angry that they're rereleasing another bearded Thor after making him a variant years ago, that's a horse of a different color. In that case, I totally understand where you're coming from.

Nope, sorry. Wrong.

thunder1cargone.jpg

Thunderstrike, wave 17 costume. From Thunderstrike #1. Now, you could argue that wave 17 Thunderstrike came with the wrong weapon, but that would be a horse of a different color. ;)

I believe that that caption is refering to the weapon, not the man.

Having recently read Thunderstrike #1, I can tell you that Erik didn't become Thunderstrike until the end of that first issue. You see, the issue begins with him unsure of his place in the world. Thor had just risen again and taken back the hammer, leaving Erik with the enchanted mace Thunderstrike. At this point he was still running around as 'Thor' just as a different flavor. After some soul searching, and a makeover from his potential love interest, he changed his name to that on his mace.

Glasses pushed firmly up my nose, I'm going to go back to pining away for my long awaited Thunderstrike and start praying that they make more mid-90s heroes.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got out of the dc direct panel. They pretty much shut down the minimates conversation before anyone could ask a question.

Essentially, they said minimates didn't sell well, didn't cost out for them, and they don't anticipate revisiting them.

Same answer as last time. :|

This is out of DC Direct's hands now.

DST needs to PICK UP THE PHONE, call Warner Bros. Consumer Products, and start talking about LICENSING DC from them.

That's what LEGO did. That's what MEZCO did. If DST really wants to license the DC property, they need to make the call. They can't keep sitting around waiting for DC Direct to call like some pansy hoping that his ex-girlfriend's marriage falls apart, sees the error of her ways, and begs him to take her back.

Damn, I really want to use harsh language here. Seriously, do I have to make this happen myself? Because I'm pretty sure I can!

Having recently read Thunderstrike #1, I can tell you that Erik didn't become Thunderstrike until the end of that first issue. You see, the issue begins with him unsure of his place in the world. Thor had just risen again and taken back the hammer, leaving Erik with the enchanted mace Thunderstrike. At this point he was still running around as 'Thor' just as a different flavor. After some soul searching, and a makeover from his potential love interest, he changed his name to that on his mace.

Glasses pushed firmly up my nose, I'm going to go back to pining away for my long awaited Thunderstrike and start praying that they make more mid-90s heroes.

Rice and beans, dude. He's the same man, he's got the same weapon, you admit yourself that in the same issue he simply changes his name. We got Thunderstrike/Masterson already. We're now getting him in another, more classic Thunderstrike costume, but we've already got him. I will admit that this is a different situation than Julia Carpenter and Black Spidey, both of which had no costume changes at all.

Anyways, let's be friends again and move on. :)

This isn't their only Booth Babe, is it? I thought they were supposed to have a Minimate Milk Firefighter Chick.

That's Saturday, I think. Different Femme Fatale everyday.

And after talking with Pat at AFX, he mentioned that the AFX NYCC exclusive box set is probably the best box set they ever made. He hasn't seen the prototypes yet but it will be revealed on their blog sometime (no idea, could be a while). I got nothing else about that other than DST saying they will have a NYCC box set too. Not sure if they are related or not yet. I know, vague. Don't shoot the reporter...

Edit:

Fun DST Fact - Chuck buys every employee who goes to conventions a knife*. So don't piss anyone off at DST. Except Zach. He's still new and hasn't gotten his knife yet so he's harmless for now. :tongue:

*By knife, I mean box cutter.

Edited by storm 1:08

This isn't their only Booth Babe, is it? I thought they were supposed to have a Minimate Milk Firefighter Chick.

That's Saturday, I think. Different Femme Fatale everyday.

And after talking with Pat at AFX, he mentioned that the AFX NYCC exclusive box set is probably the best box set they ever made. He hasn't seen the prototypes yet but it will be revealed on their blog sometime (no idea, could be a while). I got nothing else about that other than DST saying they will have a NYCC box set too. Not sure if they are related or not yet. I know, vague. Don't shoot the reporter...

Edit:

Fun DST Fact - Chuck buys every employee who goes to conventions a knife*. So don't piss anyone off at DST. Except Zach. He's still new and hasn't gotten his knife yet so he's harmless for now. :tongue:

*By knife, I mean box cutter.

I wouldn't call him harmless. Those fierce sideburns once shot a man just to see him die. They have the death sentence on twelve systems.

Maybe DST doesn't actually want the DC licence?

They want it, they just can’t have it.

You see the DC License is a delicious bakery display window full of cakes (Batman and friends and the never ending profit they hold), fine breads (Superman), crumpets (GL/Brightest Days/Blackest Nights/War of the Lanterns craziness), cupcakes (the rest of the JLU), and pocket pies (Vertigo/Wildstorm characters) and staring at them through the thick window from the snow covered street is a Dickensian Urchin representing DST, oh how he would love just a slice of cake, maybe a crumb of bread to make ‘im self a sammich, just one cupcake or pocket pie ‘ould feed ‘im for a month! But then out comes the mean old miser who owns the bakery here representing ‘licensing fees’ screaming “OY! I dun toll ye nought to c’m round ‘ere if ya ain’t gought money! Gettoutta ‘ere ya worthless wretch!!!”

Have you seen how much the Green Lantern Movie Mez-It keychains cost? SEVEN GODDAMNED DOLLARS!!!! No accessories, no hairpieces, no nothing, just a figure and a cheap ass chain for $7. You get TWO minimates with part and accessories and fun for that plus 50 cents. The two packs cost $10 a piece, you get 4 minimate 2-packs for the cost of 3 Mez-itz and Mez-itz are nothing but a blank base and some decoing.

so until DC lowers it’s prices or DST can get a license that lets them make more then just minimates (Mattel probably won’t let “DC Selects” or Batmobiles or anything like that happen, Sideshow probably has bust and statues locked up... does Monogram International still make roto banks of DC characters? I see a lot of the Marvel ones, maybe they could make Stay Puft style banks to make extra money!!)

Rice and beans, dude. He's the same man, he's got the same weapon, you admit yourself that in the same issue he simply changes his name. We got Thunderstrike/Masterson already. We're now getting him in another, more classic Thunderstrike costume, but we've already got him. I will admit that this is a different situation than Julia Carpenter and Black Spidey, both of which had no costume changes at all.

Naw, Screw being friends!

Do these now...

Tony Stark/James Rhodes vs Iron Man/War Machine

Peter Parker/Ben Reilly vs Spider-Man/Scarlet Spider

Steve Rogers/John Walker vs Captain America/US Agent

Rice and beans, dude. He's the same man, he's got the same weapon, you admit yourself that in the same issue he simply changes his name.

No. Go back and read "after a makeover" again. He doesn't become 'Thunderstrike' until he dons the leather jacket. All I'm saying is that what we got previously was a bearded Thor (from the end of the Simonson run), not Thunderstrike as commonly known. That said...

I totally agree. I'm dropping things right now, I just have something in me that can't allow loose geek checks. I'd have to turn in my comics blogger card if I did. :)

I can't wait for more reveals come Saturday and the big minimate panel.

Also, gillbob is a troublemaker!

Edited by funkguerilla

Ivan! I saw you today at the giveaway. Aaron pointed you out for me. But then you went the opposite direction so I couldn't say hi. So, hi. :)

Greetings! Heh. I didn't see you at the giveaway, but I did see you shortly thereafter leaving the DST booth. They started looking for you because someone had a Minimate question they couldn't answer and thought you'd know.