UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2011: Main Discussion Thread

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why? Lots of people have the rights to things and never use them. We haven't had BBs in pert'near 20 years. A few more aren't going to kill you.

There's a big difference between hasbro doing nothing with BB, and diamond acquiring it, making teaser figures and showing off prototypes.

Diamond have had he rights for like...3 years? I guess I just feel, if they won't use it, they should let it go.

They were announced at SDCC 09 which Ive just calculated is two years ago . Just saying.

To be exact DST asked for the name during October 2008 and received postive answer during January 2009. They confirm their new acquisition during SDCC '09. So technically they are owner of the name for something beetwen 2 and 3 years.

Now there has been lot of others new figures which have been announced and released during this 2 and more years (MAX line, Halo, Universal Monsters) but BB got nothing show after show. I hoped for more and more news but this is the reverse. We get lesser and lesser news.

can someone post or point me in the direction of a list of all the sdcc minimate exclusives

cooltoyreview.com has a complete list of all the sdcc exclusives. future foundation isn't on there because it was @ the store.

I know a lot of people aren't happy with the product this year, but DST is rolling out 8 waves and 8 box sets this year(marvel +M vs C)alone. plus the halo,RGB, and max/pirates. that seems like enough for me. I am basically just doing marvel now(ocasionally buying something for customizing-sam hain for a jack-o-lantern custom). It doesn't seem like a lot was shown, but we still have c2e2 and nycc to look forward to.

They reconfirmed that MODOK is in MVC wave 3

Was really hoping we'd see proto's of this wave at SDCC this year ....

EDIT: DST 'Have an active list of figures needed to complete teams, and will slide those in when slots become available.' is the best news i've heard from SDCC. Period!

Edited by Nessex

can someone post or point me in the direction of a list of all the sdcc minimate exclusives

cooltoyreview.com has a complete list of all the sdcc exclusives. future foundation isn't on there because it was @ the store.

Thanks Bilbofett, thats quite the list.

heres the link for the complete list of all SDCC exclusives http://cooltoyreview.com/2011-SDCC-Checklist.asp

and here are the Minimates

__ Alice: Madness Returns Minimate figure

__ Calico Jack's Pirate Raiders Robert Deal Minimate figure

__ Calico Jack's Pirate Raiders Jonathan Barnet Minimate figure

__ Calico Jack's Pirate Raiders Charles Vanes Minimate figure

__ Calico Jack's Pirate Raiders Calico Jack Minimate figure

__ Marvel Comics Stormbreaker Minimates set

(Action Figure Xpress)

__ Marvel vs. Capcom Minimates box set

3,000 pieces

__ Marvel vs. Capcom Fate of Two Worlds Minimates box set

(Entertainment Earth)

__ Minimates MAX Series 2 bagged figure

The thing with Battlebeasts (and IMO whats stopping the release of them) is down to the fact that DST doesnt know who to aim them at / cant market them properly without massive funds.

While I have no doubt there is a BB fan base, as has been drilled into us thousands of time they wont be big enough to support the costs of manufacturing the line (hell if it was so easy to sell them Hasbro would have) which leaves DST with the choice of trying to market them as a "boys toy" now considering brand awareness around that demigraphic is an all time low, theres no Cartoon, comic, DST dont exactly do TV advertising I dont see them been an easy sell to TRU etc, It strikes me that Captain Jacks Raiders is their way of testing the waters with a property like this, only with the advantage of getting into TRU on the coat tails of Minimates and Pirates of the Carribean.

Im sure if there was a cost effective and sane way of getting Battlebeasts out, DST would do it, they arent sitting on them just to spite you but when you look at tooling costs and the abject lack of interest from like everyone aside from the die hard few surely you can see why they're sitting on them? Hell Hasbro could relink them with TFs as they once were and sell em, they could have fitted them into Superhero Squad/Robot Heroes or whatever the hell and they still didn't bother. At the end of the day there just isnt a mass market out there desperate for tiny beasts that battle.

Slow and steady wins the race, once DST have a successful own brand property under their belt they'll probably look at them because tbh thats what Battlebeasts would be nowadays pretty much, an own brand property.

Well, more tidbits:

Chuck says he has a particular Spidey wave in mind, if he gets his way. Not just a regular wave, but an “eclectic” Spidey wave based on a storyline from about 20 years ago. And if this wave comes to light, the army builder will be SHIELD soldiers and it will make total sense in being in that wave due to the story. Anyone know what storyline he is talking about?

Either way, SHIELD army builders have been heavily discussed.

Moloids are just a hard army builder to fit in a wave.

Those Anti-Ghostbusters will be translucent. The prototypes were just painted green.

Yesterday’s pirate minimate giveaway was a disaster. The Elite security guards had to be called in to maintain order. DST is thinking of not doing anymore promos since stuff like this will get them in trouble in the future. What happened yesterday usually happens (on a slightly smaller scale) but generally is okay once things start. Yesterday was different. I didn’t witness it firsthand as I got a weird vibe standing there before the giveaway so I voluntarily left before there was blood.

Chuck reiterated that he does not dodge any questions submitted to the Q&A. He only dodged one throughout the life of the Q&A due to legal stuff. For previous questions, he doesn’t even answer them. A couple of examples are DC and Ecto-1 since they can be found in previous Q&As.

Chuck/Zach feel Lego's deal with Marvel and DC doesn't affect them. Different markets. Lego is #1 playset maker. Chuck says they are the #1 mini figure line and points to how many waves of Marvel they have made. If anything, Chuck is happy for Lego's deal as he can get Marvel playsets to use with Minimates.

So I asked about Kang. Chuck said he isn’t going to make Kang just to "spite the Multiverse". And if he does, it will be a show exclusive at the Hong Kong Toy Fair. He says this all with an evil smile. Take it however you want to take it. Reverse psychology or just being a poopie head.

Edited by storm 1:08

Yesterday’s pirate minimate giveaway was a disaster. The Elite security guards had to be called in to maintain order. DST is thinking of not doing anymore promos since stuff like this will get them in trouble in the future. What happened yesterday usually happens (on a slightly smaller scale) but generally is okay once things start. Yesterday was different. I didn’t witness it firsthand as I got a weird vibe standing there before the giveaway so I voluntarily left before there was blood.

what happened? Pushing and shoving trying to get the promo's?

so basically the entire panel was saying NO to this and that? wow....

Even battle beasts, which they have the rights to.

They still don't know how to launch BB after all this years. I now wonder if they will ever find a way to release them.

DST more said that they want to wait until they have the staff & resources to properly devote to it. They talked about all the licenses they have on their plate currently, being a small staff and not wanting to do a half ass job with BB, which I respect.

By the way anyone make the trek to pick up the FF set @ disney store? would like to see those.

I made the trip, needed to get away from the con crowd madness for a few minutes.

Went over Friday evening, they had plenty in stock since they were selling them at a limit of 2 per person.

Opening them up later today, I can take pictures if anybody is interested.

Well, more tidbits:

Chuck says he has a particular Spidey wave in mind, if he gets his way. Not just a regular wave, but an “eclectic” Spidey wave based on a storyline from about 20 years ago. And if this wave comes to light, the army builder will be SHIELD soldiers and it will make total sense in being in that wave due to the story. Anyone know what storyline he is talking about?

20 years ago and eclectic? Maximum Carnage? Did SHIELD show up in that? What about the Clone Saga?

Then there was a storyline in the 90's where his "parents" came back from the dead - they were SHIELD agents.

Glad to hear that Chuck doesn't feel threatened by LEGOs. And I want to hear the details about the bloodthirsty mob out for pirate booty.

what happened? Pushing and shoving trying to get the promo's?

At SDCC, when something is going to be given away at a certain time, everyone starts showing up around 45 minutes (or so) before around the area and increases once it gets closer to the give out time. This isn't unique to DST. Lego had issues too with their GL/Batman giveaway and that was worse than DST. You just can't tell a hundred or so people to go away for a few minutes and come back at the designated time. They just stand there, create their own line, and block the aisles which creates a nuisance and a potential safety hazard. Then you get lots of people angry at the workers of the booth. Another factor I feel is that on Sunday, there isn't much to do to drive people outside of the Exhibition Hall so you have more people inside and once a crowd starts, it snowballs.

Maybe some other members who stayed can comment, but either way, you have a huge crowd of angry people who want the thing to just start early and if they don't get it, they will be unruly. All for a free promotional figure that they aren't buying yet they seem to feel deserving of it.

DST could potentially do the giveaway at another location, but that doesn't help bring attention to the booth since that is the point of the giveaway. Come to the booth, look around, buy something now or maybe buy something in stores later.

Could the Spidey story be Maximium Carnage? 2013 (2012 being Avengers heavy) would be the 20th anniversary of that story!

I don't think so. This one seems to be something that even stumped someone else at DST when Chuck brought up the storyline with the SHIELD army builders. And everyone knows Maximum Carnage so it can't be that.

Either way, SHIELD army builders have been heavily discussed.

The Deadly Foes of Spider-Man came out around 20 years ago, and featured at least one SHIELD agent in it. That story could give us Beetle, Boomerang, and an updated Rhino. :D

Anyone know when and where I can grab the Stormbreaker set? I assume AFX but it's not up on the site. For that matter, the MvC set as well from EE. I assume...EE? I'd rather knock em both out together. I forget if Luke's gets them...

We will have these up for preorder by Wednesday. :)

The Deadly Foes of Spider-Man came out around 20 years ago, and featured at least one SHIELD agent in it. That story could give us Beetle, Boomerang, and an updated Rhino. :D

Oooh, good guess. I give my full endorsement to this suggestion.

I know "Maximum Carnage" didn't have a prominent SHIELD presence in it, while "Deadly Foes" had a singular SHIELD agent in it (issue #2). Pretty stumped about this but I'm gonna roll this one around in my subconscious for awhile. I love the idea of an updated Rhino, 'though I hope it'll be possible to "classic" him out to display him as both versions.

I was reading comics 20-ish years ago, so I've likely read the story. "Deadly Foes" seems like a really good guess.

Re: Kang... I figure we'll get him. I'd just prefer sooner than later (never).

Edited by Mystery Man