UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

SDCC 2011: Main Discussion Thread

And if someone gets a chance to talk to Chuck, could you ask him if they'd ever consider a blank, unarticulated Minimate bank (maybe 6 to 8 inches tall). It could have the Minimates logo on it for display but be a good way to customize larger scale figures. I've asked a couple times in teh Q&A but my question hasn't gotten an answer.

I have also asked this twice. It seems odd that he wouldn't answer it.

It just seems like an obvious idea for them to go with. I remembered one time I got the question answered, but Chuck misunderstood and thought I was suggesting the Maximates be remade. Looking at some of the other banks they make for a low cost, I can't see this costing too much to make and I think there'd be a decent demand if it was around $20.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sweet, reading AFIs twitter feed of the Panel.

Halo Boxset 4 is going to be an anniversary one based on the original game.

Also going to be a Reach Warthog with 3 figures and Scorpion tank is coming.

They reconfirmed that MODOK is in MVC wave 3

Edited by SouthFLGuy

X-men First Class boxset!! Hopefully we'll see Moira and Banshee.

Does anyone know if pictures were shown at the panel?

I agree that the SDCC reveals were not all that exciting as we already knew about the majority of the product before the show.

I think that is a great problem to have. DST has gotten great at revealing new products on the blogs and Facebook, that we already know what is coming out before it is formally announced.

I would rather DST continue this process of trickling the info out a little at a time over the year rather than hold it all for comic-con. :thumbsup:

Hasbro just announced that Kang is coming in Marvel Universe wave 2. That figure will never sell and will probably peg warm like all of the Wrecking Crew did. They should learn from DST...

Pfft that's because Hasbro is a specialty-market company and doesn't have to answer to walmart and can make the characters fans want and not make never ending main character variants for mom's and little billy to buy.

Oh wait.....my bad it's the other way around.

Why does the mass market company's line have a huge character selection while the specialty market line has never ending spidey/wolverine/thor/cap variants. :wacko:

I think there's possibly some news between the lines. The reports I've seen say no plans for larger scale Marvel Minimates or Marvel vehicles. To me, that's different enough from the old "not included in license" bit. Well, that coupled with the change in size description from 2 inches to 2.5 inches and the fact that we've seen "vehicles" that were formerly allegedly off limits (i.e. Goblin glider) says to me that in the last year or so, the Marvel license has undergone some changes. I realize that may be a bit of a stretch, and I'm certainly not holding my breath.

I think it's kind of BS that Digger's movie, which apparently can't even get fully funded, is getting 'mates to help fund it and that the success of those 'mates may impact future independent releases. I mean, it seems like if they were trying to fail, that'd be a pretty good way to go about it.

Night Ops and Arctic Ops MAX Minimates sound good. With a fall release date, I'd have expected to at least see prototypes at SDCC. Ah well.

MODOK!

That panel had a really weird vibe. Like nobody up there was very excited about making Minimates anymore. The energy level was, like, zero. It was bizarre, because when I talked to chuck at the booth yesterday, he seemed pretty up.

There was an odd dichotomy at work: the two groups in there were old-school, hard core collectors who nitpick every decision and are very hard to impress at this point, and very young kids who probably don't appreciate how much work the team puts into keeping the franchise going. It's almost like economic factors have forced them to cater to that younger audience -- who would frankly be fine with spider and Wolvie till the end of time -- and that kind of grind-it-out situation isn't very exciting.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading into it too much. Did anyone else in there get a similar feel?

I think it's kind of BS that Digger's movie, which apparently can't even get fully funded, is getting 'mates to help fund it and that the success of those 'mates may impact future independent releases. I mean, it seems like if they were trying to fail, that'd be a pretty good way to go about it.

That seems like an excellent way to go about trying to fail. Scary and not at all a pleasant feeling. It's stuff like that which makes me want more diversity in the releases we're getting so if they stop making them I can say "Well, at least I have Falcon... at least I have Kang... etc."

Frustrating as hell that I stopped buying Marvel Legends to fully support minimates, only to see all the characters I wanted made become figures with the mass market company and not the specialty. Ugh.

That panel had a really weird vibe. Like nobody up there was very excited about making Minimates anymore. The energy level was, like, zero. It was bizarre, because when I talked to chuck at the booth yesterday, he seemed pretty up.

There was an odd dichotomy at work: the two groups in there were old-school, hard core collectors who nitpick every decision and are very hard to impress at this point, and very young kids who probably don't appreciate how much work the team puts into keeping the franchise going. It's almost like economic factors have forced them to cater to that younger audience -- who would frankly be fine with spider and Wolvie till the end of time -- and that kind of grind-it-out situation isn't very exciting.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading into it too much. Did anyone else in there get a similar feel?

I have felt, and think that many, many others have felt this same way, for about 2 years now. It is incredibly infuriating because I know how I used to feel, but I don't have a clue how to fix it.